Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Soooooo Late!!!!!
mountainside13 05:08 PM 01-23-2014
Omg! I need a break after this evening! Most of my kids are gone by 4:30. Today 2 parents were late and they didn't get picked up until 4:50. I didn't mind too much since I had 1 child that was going to be here until 5:15. I didn't charge them late fees since they are rarely late!

My last child was suppose to leave at 5:15. Dad called at 5:10 saying he will be a FEW minutes late! Ok no big deal we don't have to leave here until 5:30. My aunt was driving through town so just here for 1 day. 5:30...5:40, still not here. Call dad, no answer. 5:50 call both parents, no answer. 6:05 call emergency contact...they live in New Mexico! But with Iowa zip code. No help there...2nd emergency contact at 6:10 no answer. 6:15 I call moms work because she is suppose to be working until 8pm tonight. The manager says that she didn't work today. Our agreement was the child is to be picked up at 4:20 on days off or days that she works early. The days she works late dad picks up at 5:15. So right there she broke the contract!

6:30 I text both mom and dad. Dad finally shows up at 6:41! He said that the battery in his car died and couldn't get it to start, then his phone died so he couldn't contact me. I told him that I am charging a late fee of $5 for the first 10 minutes then $1 per minute after that. It looked like he was going to argue with me but I cut him off and told him that my aunt got into town this morning from Illinois and we were going out to spend time with her but we missed the get together and she leave tomorrow at 6 am. So we can't see her now and will have to wait another year or 2 to see her again! He then started apologizing and asked if they can pay it on Mondays check. I said nope, tomorrow morning at drop off or she won't be admitted back into care until it is paid.

Oh I am so upset! Never has a parent ever been that late before! Oh and he said that his phone died and couldn't respond... He has iMessage on and it informs me when the text message is read. He flat out lied.

At this point I don't even care if they don't come back! Thanks for listening to my vent!!
craftymissbeth 05:16 PM 01-23-2014
You deserve a backbone award!!
Msdunny 05:30 PM 01-23-2014
I would be furious...in fact I am angry for you! Good for you for standing up to this dad.
Shell 05:30 PM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Sorry this happened, but great job enforcing your policies!
jenboo 05:38 PM 01-23-2014
Omg i am so mad just reading this!!

Great job standing up for yourself!
TwinKristi 05:41 PM 01-23-2014
Wow!!! You go girl! That's seriously sooooo uncool! I probably would have asked why mom couldn't pick up since she didn't GO TO WORK TODAY!?!?
mountainside13 05:43 PM 01-23-2014
I am so glad I stuck with my contract!! I am still upset! And hurt, more so that I couldn't see my aunt! He emailed me a few minutes ago and said sorry again and then making more excuses and if I could reduce the late fees? Um...no! If anything I want to add an extra fee for me missing time with my aunt who I rarely see!!

If it were any other day I would be upset, even furious! But it had to be tonight!! I am beyond furious!!! I don't think I should have to tell parents that I have plans after work! It's none of their business. They should just pick up on time! I understand things happen but they should just assume I have plans. Especially that long after hours!! Urg!!
mountainside13 05:48 PM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Wow!!! You go girl! That's seriously sooooo uncool! I probably would have asked why mom couldn't pick up since she didn't GO TO WORK TODAY!?!?
They are sticking to the story that she was working!! Which is why she couldn't pick up?! Even though staff at her work stated she didn't work today! I am seriously considering termination! I do have 1 person on the waiting list but it is a previous client who lost their job. They weren't the best family but much better than this!!!
JenNJ 06:42 PM 01-23-2014
I would collect late fees in one hand and hand them the term letter with the other.
melilley 07:11 PM 01-23-2014
So sorry that happened to you!

I'm glad you used your backbone and didn't let them get away with it!
Cradle2crayons 07:13 PM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would collect late fees in one hand and hand them the term letter with the other.
same here.not about the late fees but because the child should have been picked up at the earlier time as per contract since mom wasn't working. Not to mention the lying, that's a huge pet peeve of mine.
Patches 07:20 PM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:427974:
They are sticking to the story that she was working!! Which is why she couldn't pick up?! Even though staff at her work stated she didn't work today! I am seriously considering termination! I do have 1 person on the waiting list but it is a previous client who lost their job. They weren't the best family but much better than this!!!
I would still be tempted to charge them late fees starting at 4:20. Or have her bring in a copy of her time sheet or something to "clear things up" Sorry you had to miss your get together
Meyou 01:46 AM 01-24-2014
This. I would also call them on all the BS if they tried to argue....like Dad getting the message and Mom lying about work. How many other times have they lied for a later pickup? Lots, I suspect.
daycarediva 03:28 AM 01-24-2014
I would have charged late fees since the early pick up that they agreed to when Mom wasn't working. I would have told them so. I also would have told him that my phone tells me when he reads the message. NO WAY would I let any of that slide.

What did you charge him? $5 for first 10 minutes would be 5:15-5:25.$1/minute until 6:41? $81?

I would also probably term.
coolconfidentme 03:35 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Here's your trophy!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jN6WGOaDmw...0/backbone.jpg
mountainside13 05:25 AM 01-24-2014
I should have said something to him about lying and mom not at work but I was so upset I knew I couldn't bring it up until I had time to calm down. They have a late fee of $81. Nearly a full weeks tuition! It will be nice to have extra spending money for supplies!

Thank you for the award!
MyAngels 05:26 AM 01-24-2014

Topping it off by arguing the late fee would seal the deal for me. He should be trying to get back into your good graces (dare I say groveling ) not griping about the fees that were caused by his own actions.
MotherNature 05:38 AM 01-24-2014
great backbone!
MarinaVanessa 06:29 AM 01-24-2014
Well I hope whatever they were doing was worth the $81. In situations like this I'm glad I have a policy that allows me to take the DCK with me if I need to leave. I would've left at 5:30 like planned, taken their child (still a nuisance but better than not being able to see your aunt), turned off the lights to my home and left a note "Had dinner plans. Had to leave. Call me". They'd then would've had to drive to where I was and I would've charged them the late fee ending from when they got there to pick their child up.

I don't know that I would've been able to not say anything about them saying that DCM was at work and DCD saying his phone was off. If they said it one more time I'd definitely bring it up. If they do stick to the story I'd clarify that work was called and about the app telling you that the messages were read. If they are lying to you it needs to stop. They need to know that its unacceptable.

They're not even my clients and I'm angry for you.
mama0609 06:50 AM 01-24-2014
Oh. My. Gosh. I'm so angry that happened to you! And for them to flat out lie about it, wow! Glad you are at the very least getting some extra spending money out of it but I'm so sorry you missed seeing your Aunt!
kathiemarie 07:20 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Well I hope whatever they were doing was worth the $81. In situations like this I'm glad I have a policy that allows me to take the DCK with me if I need to leave. I would've left at 5:30 like planned, taken their child (still a nuisance but better than not being able to see your aunt), turned off the lights to my home and left a note "Had dinner plans. Had to leave. Call me". They'd then would've had to drive to where I was and I would've charged them the late fee ending from when they got there to pick their child up.

I don't know that I would've been able to not say anything about them saying that DCM was at work and DCD saying his phone was off. If they said it one more time I'd definitely bring it up. If they do stick to the story I'd clarify that work was called and about the app telling you that the messages were read. If they are lying to you it needs to stop. They need to know that its unacceptable.

This is what I do also. I'm not one to say term them but man oh man this time I say TERM them! Not so much because they were late but because of all of the lying.
mountainside13 07:32 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

I don't have this in my contract but I am going to be adding it now!!! I don't have a signed permission slip from them saying I can transport. That was a huge deal for them when they started. No transportation! I haven't minded until yesterday. When my oldest was a baby and in daycare I didn't want her being transported. Now that I am a provider I fell if parents trust me with their children they should trust me transporting at least in an emergency or a necessity kwim?

Originally Posted by mama0609:
Oh. My. Gosh. I'm so angry that happened to you! And for them to flat out lie about it, wow! Glad you are at the very least getting some extra spending money out of it but I'm so sorry you missed seeing your Aunt!
Thank you! I know people lie! "He has never hit anyone before!", "I don't have anymore checks, can I pay you on Friday?" Exc exc. the white lies are annoying but these were not small lies! How many other times have I watched the child past closing time when she wasn't working, cutting into my family time?!

Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
This is what I do also. I'm not one to say term them but man oh man this time I say TERM them! Not so much because they were late but because of all of the lying.
I am seriously leaning towards terming them! I have been thinking about it for a few months already, for multiple different reasons. I just haven't done it yet because I hate interviews!! My anxiety goes into overdrive for 24 hours before an interview until it's over.

I do have 1 family on the waiting list. They are ex clients. They would be better than the current family but they had issues too!
TheGoodLife 07:46 AM 01-24-2014
I would consider telling them that you can no longer allow late pickups, as you know they abused it that day. Put the ball in their court. That's if you want the option of them terming themselves- I did that recently and the child termed, but I was OK with it!
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 01-24-2014
Good for you for sticking to your guns!!

Have they paid their fee yet?
mountainside13 08:42 AM 01-24-2014
Mom dropped off a few minutes ago and paid the fee and attached this note. When she handed it to me she said here is for last night. No sorry to my face just the note. They were more than a FEW minutes late!! I took offense to the letter. Is it just me or does it come off plain rude?
Attached: image.jpg (41.9 KB) 
Msdunny 08:49 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Mom dropped off a few minutes ago and paid the fee and attached this note. When she handed it to me she said here is for last night. No sorry to my face just the note. They were more than a FEW minutes late!! I took offense to the letter. Is it just me or does it come off plain rude?
No, sorry, that note wouldn't fly with me. Especially with the lie that you are aware of, and the fact that over an hour is much more than a few minutes. Seems a little snide to me. I'm afraid I would have to term, but that's me. I would still be fuming.
blandino 08:53 AM 01-24-2014
I think they feel slightly irritated by it, and want to be heard. I don't think it is over the top rude, but more like someone who wants their point to be heard. I would leave it at that, take your fees and not mention it again.

I kind of feel like the note is slightly trying to make you feel like you are being unsympathetic. And so what if you aren't ! It's not your job to be sympathetic toward her (regardless of the working/not working circumstances). I think you would make your point, that your rules are your rules by not addressing it at all. No need for explanation or anything, you have a late fee, she was late, end of story.
Lucy 09:00 AM 01-24-2014
No, I don't find it rude. I would thank her for the letter, but clarify that you don't think an hour and a half qualifies as "a few minutes". I actually think she felt bad when she heard that you missed out on your plans. She sounds open to the late fee and encourages you to go ahead and charge them again if it happens in the future. That's how I take it.
_Dana_ 09:03 AM 01-24-2014
"Sometimes work or traffic cause us to run a few minutes behind"

A few minutes is 5-10 minutes and I can work with that, sometimes.....not a whole hour and a half! I probably would've call the police at that point.

Anyway...I agree w/ Blandino if you intend on keeping them. I'm still sorry that you weren't able to spend any time with your aunt. Grrr. I would be bitter about that for a good while.
Play Care 09:09 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
No, I don't find it rude. I would thank her for the letter, but clarify that you don't think an hour and a half qualifies as "a few minutes". I actually think she felt bad when she heard that you missed out on your plans. She sounds open to the late fee and encourages you to go ahead and charge them again if it happens in the future. That's how I take it.
I agree with clarifying to mom immediately that is was well over a few minutes! That assertion is why I find rude, not so much the note - as if you are being unreasonable over a few minutes.

"DCM, thank you for the letter. I do want to make it clear that an hour and a half late is not a few minutes. Further it will NEVER happen again. Thanks."
kathiemarie 09:12 AM 01-24-2014
I find it rude. It wasn't an apology it was an excuse. By the tone of the note I would count on it happening again.
Lucy 09:17 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree with clarifying to mom immediately that is was well over a few minutes! That assertion is why I find rude, not so much the note - as if you are being unreasonable over a few minutes.

"DCM, thank you for the letter. I do want to make it clear that an hour and a half late is not a few minutes. Further it will NEVER happen again. Thanks."
Yes, this exactly! I'd be ticked that she found an hour and a half to be a few minutes, and I'd FOR SURE clarify that with her.

Dr. Phil says, "you teach people how to treat you", and you need to let her know that an hour and a half late with poor communication was NOT acceptable to you.

Other than that part, I find the tone of the letter to be apologetic. If she were being snide, she wouldn't have written the letter. Or, she would've written something like, "Sorry Joe was a few minutes late yesterday. As you know, traffic can be bad sometimes." But she didn't merely say that part. She apologized, and acknowledged that it inconvenienced you, and went on further to state that you definitely SHOULD charge them if it happens again.

ETA: All the above being said, I'd be ticked at them for just the lateness itself, not to mention the lying by omission, and the flat out lying to your face! I wouldn't want to work them anymore. If I didn't mind taking the former clients, I'd try to summon up the courage (it's hard for me!) to term this family and take the other one.
My3cents 09:23 AM 01-24-2014
Omg! I need a break after this evening! Most of my kids are gone by 4:30. Today 2 parents were late and they didn't get picked up until 4:50. I didn't mind too much since I had 1 child that was going to be here until 5:15. I didn't charge them late fees since they are rarely late!

My last child was suppose to leave at 5:15. Dad called at 5:10 saying he will be a FEW minutes late! Ok no big deal we don't have to leave here until 5:30. My aunt was driving through town so just here for 1 day. 5:30...5:40, still not here. Call dad, no answer. 5:50 call both parents, no answer. 6:05 call emergency contact...they live in New Mexico! But with Iowa zip code. No help there...2nd emergency contact at 6:10 no answer. 6:15 I call moms work because she is suppose to be working until 8pm tonight. The manager says that she didn't work today. Our agreement was the child is to be picked up at 4:20 on days off or days that she works early. The days she works late dad picks up at 5:15. So right there she broke the contract!

6:30 I text both mom and dad. Dad finally shows up at 6:41! He said that the battery in his car died and couldn't get it to start, then his phone died so he couldn't contact me. I told him that I am charging a late fee of $5 for the first 10 minutes then $1 per minute after that. It looked like he was going to argue with me but I cut him off and told him that my aunt got into town this morning from Illinois and we were going out to spend time with her but we missed the get together and she leave tomorrow at 6 am. So we can't see her now and will have to wait another year or 2 to see her again! He then started apologizing and asked if they can pay it on Mondays check. I said nope, tomorrow morning at drop off or she won't be admitted back into care until it is paid.

Oh I am so upset! Never has a parent ever been that late before! Oh and he said that his phone died and couldn't respond... He has iMessage on and it informs me when the text message is read. He flat out lied.

At this point I don't even care if they don't come back! Thanks for listening to my vent!!
OMG!!! I just want to hug you I feel so bad for you missing that time with your Aunt. What was Moms roll in all of this? I would be livid too. I have to say you have a good backbone and handled yourself well with not backing down. I wouldn't want to work with these clients anymore either.
My3cents 09:26 AM 01-24-2014
yes....... and I am not quick to term anyone. This is flat our disrespect and disregard for you as a person- They both Lied it sounds like. Agree with JEN
Moppetland 09:32 AM 01-24-2014
On top of this, you also mentioned that an emergency contact lives in New Mexico?

They also need to update their emergency contact information. What if that was a medical emergency on your part or on their child's part? You couldn't contact anyone. That alone would have put more fuel to my fire.
My3cents 09:32 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

Do you know why we are so angry for you, besides the obvious? They are not our clients but after you term them probably they will move onto someone else and pull this again and that angers me. Lying unacceptable
My3cents 09:41 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
I find it rude. It wasn't an apology it was an excuse. By the tone of the note I would count on it happening again.

Sounds like don't worry about telling us again of how much we owe in late fees because its going to happen again.

Not having back up to call- No
The lying- No
Scratch letter she wrote half asleep before morning drop off-No

Term them and take the anxiety of finding clients that will appreciate all that you do. This family is giving you anxiety all the time-

I would tell them that you knew she was not working and the Dads phone was working fine. Give them two weeks and be done with this. I don't term easy but this is crazy

Best-
Cat Herder 09:53 AM 01-24-2014
Some people really have no idea what it is to be accountable for their own life choices.

Society tells them car trouble IS a valid excuse. Never mind the fact the check engine light has been on for 30 days, they are driving on a spare and the battery died twice this weekend already requiring the neighbor guy to jump them off....

I'd meet the note with radio silence, cash the check immediately (before they can stop payment if they are vindictive) and "feel comfortable" telling them when they incur fees in the future.

Take her literally... No guilt for holding her accountable in the future. Get comfortable.
mountainside13 09:53 AM 01-24-2014
I have decided to terminate tonight when dad picks up late again tonight. Anyone have a good termination letter? I don't like mine. I am on the fence if I should bring up the lying and everything else or just terminate and be done. I will give 2 weeks notice but will give them a free out if they find someone sooner. I don't want to deal with it longer than I have too.
Heidi 10:51 AM 01-24-2014
I have decided to terminate tonight when dad picks up late again tonight. Anyone have a good termination letter? I don't like mine. I am on the fence if I should bring up the lying and everything else or just terminate and be done. I will give 2 weeks notice but will give them a free out if they find someone sooner. I don't want to deal with it longer than I have too.
Please don't give them a free out! You can make it two weeks if they really do continue to bring him. I did it for 4 kids I termed from one family. Awkward, but I did it. I really hoped that she'd just not bring them back, but she did, and we made it through.

If they DO decide to not come back, you can and should still bill them through the two weeks!
mountainside13 11:03 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Please don't give them a free out! You can make it two weeks if they really do continue to bring him. I did it for 4 kids I termed from one family. Awkward, but I did it. I really hoped that she'd just not bring them back, but she did, and we made it through.

If they DO decide to not come back, you can and should still bill them through the two weeks!
I see what you mean! I won't do a free out, I am hoping that she will just pay for the 2 weeks and not come back!
safechner 11:06 AM 01-24-2014
The mother wrote the note and I found that she is guilty because she knew she lied to you so she can make an excuse!

If I were you, I would go to their bank to cash out from the check before you hand out the terminate letter tonight. More likely, they will get angry and will not bring the kid back on Monday morning.
TwinKristi 11:17 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Moppetland:
On top of this, you also mentioned that an emergency contact lives in New Mexico?

They also need to update their emergency contact information. What if that was a medical emergency on your part or on their child's part? You couldn't contact anyone. That alone would have put more fuel to my fire.
This should be brought up in the term letter IMO! This is what really freaks me out about doing DC sometimes. I know that my kids had a couple emergencies at daycare when they were little, one requiring several stitches and a CT scan. Thankfully I worked in town and my dh was headed home anyway but had I been an hour away, dh working out of town, let alone just not answering, and no local emergency contact I would be horrified as a provider. Did their contact person move and they didn't update or have they always lived elsewhere? That's just weird. Anyway, I'm glad you're using your backbone and telling them that's not acceptable.
mountainside13 11:23 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by safechner:
The mother wrote the note and I found that she is guilty because she knew she lied to you so she can make an excuse!

If I were you, I would go to their bank to cash out from the check before you hand out the terminate letter tonight. More likely, they will get angry and will not bring the kid back on Monday morning.
I told her she had to pay in cash, which they did! I am hoping they don't show up on Monday but pay the 2 weeks. If not then I will have to go down that road if it comes to it.

This should be brought up in the term letter IMO! This is what really freaks me out about doing DC sometimes. I know that my kids had a couple emergencies at daycare when they were little, one requiring several stitches and a CT scan. Thankfully I worked in town and my dh was headed home anyway but had I been an hour away, dh working out of town, let alone just not answering, and no local emergency contact I would be horrified as a provider. Did their contact person move and they didn't update or have they always lived elsewhere? That's just weird. Anyway, I'm glad you're using your backbone and telling them that's not acceptable.
They have our area code so I am guessing that they recently moved there. Another lessen learned!
melilley 11:27 AM 01-24-2014
I didn't like the note. I read it more of a "nice rude" note if that makes sense.
MarinaVanessa 11:29 AM 01-24-2014
I don't have this in my contract but I am going to be adding it now!!! I don't have a signed permission slip from them saying I can transport. That was a huge deal for them when they started. No transportation! I haven't minded until yesterday. When my oldest was a baby and in daycare I didn't want her being transported. Now that I am a provider I fell if parents trust me with their children they should trust me transporting at least in an emergency or a necessity kwim?
I didn't find the words to the note rude but I think they wanted to get the last word in.

Here is letter I would give them .

Dear Late Lying Lucy,

This is a notice of termination of child care services for your child [child's name]. As stated in my contract you have [2 weeks, etc] notice. Your last day of child care will be [date].

Signed
Peeved Provider

This the letter that I wish I could give them:

Dear Late Lying Lucy,

This is a notice of termination of child care services for your child [child's name]. Termination is immediate. Your child's last day of child care will be [today's date]. As stated in my contract I reserve the right to terminate care immediately with no notice under the following circumstances.

For these reasons I feel that our business relationship cannot continue and it is in the best interest of all involved that out agreement be terminated.

Signed
Peeved Provider
Crazy8 11:31 AM 01-24-2014
I am usually the "less is more" type and go with form letters often, but I think in this case I would type a term letter stating that an hour and a half is MUCH more than a few minutes late due to traffic, etc. And that you can see your text message was read at such and such a time and dcd lied about it and that you called her job and know she was not there, therefore it was kind of you to not start late fees at 4:20pm, emergency contacts not up to date, and on and on and on. Make it professional, but list all of these instances that they think they are getting away with. I wouldn't mention the time with your aunt at all, that is the personal stuff that I would keep out of my daycare communications.

Reading the mom's letter I was wondering if dcd wasn't truthful with how late he was, but I guess the high fee would tell her the truth.
coolconfidentme 11:43 AM 01-24-2014
Am I the odd (wo)man out here? I would be laughing all the way to the bank with that one. Thank her in person for understanding & paying promptly for the fee they incurred. Smiling the whole time, like you didn't see any stabs in her note. Remind her unfortunately these things happen & you will be forced to charge it again. Keep smiling.
TwinKristi 11:45 AM 01-24-2014
I agree that there should be the multiple contract violations listed but short and to the point. I would also take a screen shot on your phone showing the text was read shortly after sending it. And while her letter wasn't "rude" like melilley said, it's nice rude. Basically she's saying it wasn't a big deal and downplaying the situation. That's why I would list the multiple violations. When you called her work they said she wasn't there that day, dad said a few mins and that was almost 90 mins later, the out of date emergency contact, etc. It's blatantly disrespectful and I agree that the last line about telling them if they owe fees in the future... What the what?? That also says to me this will happen again. I hope they pay the 2wks and don't come back.
mountainside13 12:05 PM 01-24-2014
All wonderful ideas!
Kabob 12:09 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I didn't find the words to the note rude but I think they wanted to get the last word in.

Dear Late Lying Lucy,

This is a notice of termination of child care services for your child [child's name]. As stated in my contract you have [2 weeks, etc] notice. Your last day of child care will be [date].

Signed
Peeved Provider

Dear Late Lying Lucy,

This is a notice of termination of child care services for your child [child's name]. Termination is immediate. Your child's last day of child care will be [today's date]. As stated in my contract I reserve the right to terminate care immediately with no notice under the following circumstances.
  • A breach of contract by the client by failing to comply with any of the policies set forth in this contract - arriving on [date] [amount of time] on past your contracted pick up time and [amount of time] past my closing time after notifying me at [time] that your child would be picked up "a few minutes" late.
  • Contesting and/or attempting to negotiate the fees, contract and/or policies - attempting to negotiate the late pick-up fees as stated in our contract a signed and agreed by you.
  • Deliberate disrespect .... to the childcare provider .... by a child, client or other persons responsible for the child - claiming that mother being at work was reason that father would pick up when mother's work claims she was not at work, father claimed that phone was off when [app] showed that father was receiving and reading my messages.
  • Inability for the provider to meet the family's needs - contract states there will be no transportation and if child is not picked up on time and/or before closing I am unable to to keep personal non-business appointments.

For these reasons I feel that our business relationship cannot continue and it is in the best interest of all involved that out agreement be terminated.

Signed
Peeved Provider
I would stick with the short note and write the long one to shred later to burn off some frustration.
MarinaVanessa 12:20 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I would stick with the short note and write the long one to shred later to burn off some frustration.

In that case mine would have a lot of bleeps in it too, mean since I'm not going to actually give it to her
mountainside13 12:32 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

In that case mine would have a lot of bleeps in it too, mean since I'm not going to actually give it to her
Lol!!
cheerfuldom 12:50 PM 01-24-2014
that letter was really strange and passive aggressive to me. excuses on one hand and condescending on the other hand. like she is giving you permission to charge them late fees?! feels like a thinly veiled power struggle there.
mountainside13 01:37 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
that letter was really strange and passive aggressive to me. excuses on one hand and condescending on the other hand. like she is giving you permission to charge them late fees?! feels like a thinly veiled power struggle there.
Haha! I didn't even think about it like that. It does seem that way

I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it! I'm not going to back down!!!
MotherNature 01:50 PM 01-24-2014
You can do it! Be strong! Looking forward to the update.
cheerfuldom 02:39 PM 01-24-2014
we are all here to support you! and waiting for an update.

really i could have gotten over the lateness if a parent had truly apologized and paid the fee no questions asked and promised that would never happen again (and assuming they had not clearly lied to me) but all of what happened plus handing you a ridiculous note is just too much. really. how immature.
WImom 02:48 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

Dear Late Lying Lucy,

Signed
Peeved Provider

Dear Late Lying Lucy,

• A breach of contract by the client by failing to comply with any of the policies set forth in this contract - arriving on [date] [amount of time] on past your contracted pick up time and [amount of time] past my closing time after notifying me at [time] that your child would be picked up "a few minutes" late.
  • Contesting and/or attempting to negotiate the fees, contract and/or policies - attempting to negotiate the late pick-up fees as stated in our contract a signed and agreed by you.
  • Deliberate disrespect .... to the childcare provider .... by a child, client or other persons responsible for the child - claiming that mother being at work was reason that father would pick up when mother's work claims she was not at work, father claimed that phone was off when [app] showed that father was receiving and reading my messages.
  • Inability for the provider to meet the family's needs - contract states there will be no transportation and if child is not picked up on time and/or before closing I am unable to to keep personal non-business appointments.

Signed
Peeved Provider
THIS!! I would be even more peeved had I received that letter you had gotten. So sorry you had to deal with this!!
daycare 03:06 PM 01-24-2014
Ok, I get that life happens out of our control. BUT the thing that I can't get past is the fact that if the car died, or whatever happend, they should have called you and communicated with you what was going on. Not being able to get intouch with anyone right there would be my number one reason for terming, number two for being late, and number 3, the fact that she is telling you, let me know when we owe you money for being late AGAIN.... NO , NO more, you are done being late because you don't attend here anymore..

TGIF. I hope your night gets better
mountainside13 03:09 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
we are all here to support you! and waiting for an update.

really i could have gotten over the lateness if a parent had truly apologized and paid the fee no questions asked and promised that would never happen again (and assuming they had not clearly lied to me) but all of what happened plus handing you a ridiculous note is just too much. really. how immature.
Thank you!! Dad is suppose to be here before 5:20 so I will give everyone an update after they leave. I have the term letter ready (Thank you MV!) and now just a waiting game.

One of my dad's told me at pick up today that his schedule has changed! The daycare boy will now be picked up at 4:10 every day!
So another reason to term.
TwinKristi 03:16 PM 01-24-2014

Biting my nails in anticipation!!!
mountainside13 04:01 PM 01-24-2014
Dad showed up at 5:36. I didn't say anything about it. I handed him the termination letter and said "I am terminating our Childcare arrangement. I am no longer able to provide the hours of care that you need" He got very nervous. He asked if it was because of yesterday. I said I took that into consideration but it wasn't the only reason. Then he was trying to rush her out the door.
Unregistered 04:07 PM 01-24-2014
Nice to see they are really sorry and respect your closing time, by showing up 21 minutes late again today. At least that is closer to a few minutes late. I would be tempted to communicate with mom the late charge for today as well, since she wanted you to let her know
Meeko 04:12 PM 01-24-2014
Dad showed up at 5:36. I didn't say anything about it. I handed him the termination letter and said "I am terminating our Childcare arrangement. I am no longer able to provide the hours of care that you need" He got very nervous. He asked if it was because of yesterday. I said I took that into consideration but it wasn't the only reason. Then he was trying to rush her out the door.
You go girl!
TwinKristi 04:12 PM 01-24-2014
Are you going to add the late fee for today onto their 2wks notice? LOL
mountainside13 04:55 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Nice to see they are really sorry and respect your closing time, by showing up 21 minutes late again today. At least that is closer to a few minutes late. I would be tempted to communicate with mom the late charge for today as well, since she wanted you to let her know

Originally Posted by Meeko:
You go girl!
Thank you!!!

Are you going to add the late fee for today onto their 2wks notice? LOL
I was going to add a late fee for tonight too but a few minutes before he showed up my friend called me and told me our friend had died. It was hard enough trying to get through the term and get them out the door without crying. I may tack on a late fee when they come on Monday.
MarinaVanessa 05:28 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just died.
Josiegirl 05:09 AM 01-25-2014
I'm sorry about your friend.

I'm glad you gave them the heave-ho. They obviously had no respect for you or your rules.
LaLa1923 06:47 PM 01-25-2014

1. I would've handed him a term notice at the door.

2. I would've taken the kids with me to see my aunt. No way would I miss that
Msdunny 07:55 PM 01-25-2014
I just caught up with this story. I am so glad you stood up to this family, and I am so sorry you had to go through this headache.

Also, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers to you.
mountainside13 06:27 AM 01-26-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm sorry about your friend.

I'm glad you gave them the heave-ho. They obviously had no respect for you or your rules.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
1. I would've handed him a term notice at the door.

2. I would've taken the kids with me to see my aunt. No way would I miss that
I now have in my contract that if a parent is late for pick up then I can take the child with me and parent picks up at my location!

Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I just caught up with this story. I am so glad you stood up to this family, and I am so sorry you had to go through this headache. y

Also, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers to you.
Thank you!! It was very unexpected. Domestic violence is very serious!
mountainside13 06:30 AM 01-26-2014
UPDATE:

Mom emailed me and asked when the new pick up time starts?! So dad lied to mom about termination. The 2 weeks can't come fast enough! She has to know, this whole week is late night pick ups again!
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 01-26-2014
UPDATE:

Mom emailed me and asked when the new pick up time starts?! So dad lied to mom about termination. The 2 weeks can't come fast enough! She has to know, this whole week is late night pick ups again!
Ok, you need to contact the mother and outright tell her the family is being terminated.

Dear DCF

You are being terminated from care due to:

late pick ups
disrespecting policies
dishonest behavior

If during the final two weeks of care you are late, services for care will be terminated on the spot.

Late is defined by 1 minute beyond closing time.

Sincerely

Provider - who ain't got time for this b.s.

I am starting to think this family is playing dumb on purpose.

Please put a stop to this nonsense and make it CLEAR they are being terminated due to stupidity....well, don't actually say that but make your message clear so that there is no chance of any misunderstanding.

*whew* some families make this job tough....
mountainside13 09:08 AM 01-26-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, you need to contact the mother and outright tell her the family is being terminated.

Dear DCF

You are being terminated from care due to:

late pick ups
disrespecting policies
dishonest behavior

If during the final two weeks of care you are late, services for care will be terminated on the spot.

Late is defined by 1 minute beyond closing time.

Sincerely

Provider - who ain't got time for this b.s.

I am starting to think this family is playing dumb on purpose.

Please put a stop to this nonsense and make it CLEAR they are being terminated due to stupidity....well, don't actually say that but make your message clear so that there is no chance of any misunderstanding.

*whew* some families make this job tough....
I emailed her back as soon as I read the email. This is what I sent her:

I'm sorry if there was a misunderstand. This was not a notice of changing hours or early pick up. This is a 2 week notice of termination for Childcare arrangement. The last day **** will be in my care is Feburary 7th 2014. No services will be provided after this date.

I didn't think about saying of they are late again to terminate services immediately. Great idea! It wouldn't surprise me at all of they are always playing dumb. I have had a lot of bad experiences and difficult families but I think this one takes the cake! I should have terminated after my 2 week trial but I wanted to stick it out.
mountainside13 07:10 AM 01-27-2014
Another question ladies!

Dad dropped off and I was my happy normal self like nothing happened. The little girl started crying and saying she wanted to go home. I understand this happens with kids but she has never done this a drop off since she started. Dad left and she said C*** mean. I go home. Saying some other very interesting things. As well as hitting and yelling at me And the kids. She just turned 2. She has never acted like this. So mom and dad had to have said something. Do I bring it up at pick up or just keep it to myself? I want the next 2 weeks to go smoothly without problems. But I don't think that will happen.
Unregistered 07:19 AM 01-27-2014
I would bill them for the amount of time they were late on friday, and anytime they are late moving forward. I think they will leave on their own.
Heidi 07:27 AM 01-27-2014
Another question ladies!

Dad dropped off and I was my happy normal self like nothing happened. The little girl started crying and saying she wanted to go home. I understand this happens with kids but she has never done this a drop off since she started. Dad left and she said C*** mean. I go home. Saying some other very interesting things. As well as hitting and yelling at me And the kids. She just turned 2. She has never acted like this. So mom and dad had to have said something. Do I bring it up at pick up or just keep it to myself? I want the next 2 weeks to go smoothly without problems. But I don't think that will happen.
If you're regulated, I would call your licenser and give her a brief run-through of what has been going on. Brief...they don't like drama. So,
-Family late consistently and lying to you,
-you termed,
-parents lying to each other about it,
-now child is upset and acting out.

Just want her to be aware of it incase of backlash, and is there anything else in the form of documentation.
daycarediva 10:50 AM 01-27-2014
I cannot believe they were late again the very next day. I would have termed them, effective immediately, right then and there.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
mountainside13 11:48 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
If you're regulated, I would call your licenser and give her a brief run-through of what has been going on. Brief...they don't like drama. So,
-Family late consistently and lying to you,
-you termed,
-parents lying to each other about it,
-now child is upset and acting out.

Just want her to be aware of it incase of backlash, and is there anything else in the form of documentation.
I am documenting everything but currently I am legally unlicensed.

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I cannot believe they were late again the very next day. I would have termed them, effective immediately, right then and there.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
That was Blackcats suggestion. So if they do it again during theses 2 weeks I will term immediately!
Tags:contracted hours vs open hours, late arrivals, late pick up fee, late pickup
Reply Up