Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hurricane Question
bunnyslippers 06:15 AM 10-26-2012
So I live in an area that may be hit with the hurricane next week. My town historically loses power in storms.

What is your policy on power loss and being open? We have a generator, but I am still not comfortable without power and having the children here. My contract states that I will be closed in the event of power loss.

What do you all do in this type of situation?
jokalima 06:20 AM 10-26-2012
last year I had to closed almost 2 weeks in during the year because of power loss, I am very concerned about this year, I don't get paid for those days plus I have my vac time scheduled for the end of the year, like I said in another post. But if there is no power we can't work, I dont have a generator, there is only cold water, no place to keep foods like milk in any safe way, the house is cold so there is basically no way we can open if we don't have power.
bunnyslippers 06:25 AM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by jokalima:
last year I had to closed almost 2 weeks in during the year because of power loss, I am very concerned about this year, I don't get paid for those days plus I have my vac time scheduled for the end of the year, like I said in another post. But if there is no power we can't work, I dont have a generator, there is only cold water, no place to keep foods like milk in any safe way, the house is cold so there is basically no way we can open if we don't have power.
I changed my policy for just this reason. I only take teacher's kids, and don't charge for snow days, b/c they are made up at the end of the school year. After the ice storm a few years ago, I changed my policy to the first 5 snow days are unpaid, and any after that are paid days.
SilverSabre25 07:02 AM 10-26-2012
We don't get hurricanes here (OH) but we do lose power sometimes.

My contract says that if the lack of power leads to conditions such as extreme heat/cold then I'm closed.
Crazy8 07:03 AM 10-26-2012
I believe our state regs say we must have power so I am closed if there is no power.
Country Kids 08:09 AM 10-26-2012
If we have no power we can not be open here. We have to have a way to cook, keep foods at proper tempature and the house has to be at 68 degrees.
Childminder 08:15 AM 10-26-2012
I have a generator so I stay open. Usually only a couple kids show though cause if the area is out of power the businesses are closed and most do not work.
e.j. 02:16 PM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
So I live in an area that may be hit with the hurricane next week. My town historically loses power in storms.

What is your policy on power loss and being open? We have a generator, but I am still not comfortable without power and having the children here. My contract states that I will be closed in the event of power loss.

What do you all do in this type of situation?
My contract states that I may decide to close the day care for the entire day or part of it, depending upon the situation. If we lose power before the day care is scheduled to open, I'll probably close. If we lose power during the day, I'll base my decision to close on the time of day and whether or not I can keep the kids safe and properly care for them. In general, I don't charge if I have to close the day care. For severe weather situations, I state that if I have to close during the day, (once the kids are already here), parents will be responsible for tuition for that day.

I had to close for a week during that ice storm and didn't charge anyone. We were eventually able to buy a generator but could only hook up certain things like the fridge and a couple of space heaters. We had no real heat or hot water and it was so cold that week that I couldn't open the day care.

I'm hoping "Sandy" won't cause the kinds of problems in this area they're predicting. I can't afford to close down for a week (or more!) right now.
VTMom 08:09 PM 10-26-2012
This is what I have in my handbook and plan on supplying my families with a copy of this on Monday (just in case):

• Based on State regulation, Daycare will close with short notice due to extended power outages. Maximum time without power shall be 2 hours. Staff will call the primary contact person after half an hour of no power if the estimated restoration is beyond 2 hours (electricity supplier estimate). This is due to lack of heat, flushing toilets and running water.

I came up with these guidelines after discussing it with my licensor.

Good luck!
Jessie 03:54 AM 10-27-2012
Bunnyslippers, I'm in your area and have been wondering the same thing. I don't want to jump the gun and inconvenience parents by closing when it's just a little wind and rain, but I also don't want to be stuck with kids here if things get really bad. I have an emergency policy in my handbook, but REALLY don't want to put it in action, and what if parents can't get to ME - then I'm really stuck with the little guys here!

I've put the question out to the group of providers I'm a member of here, to see what others are doing. I can PM you to let you know what they say.
itlw8 08:11 AM 10-27-2012
simple state rules state I must have power, heat and water so I have to close. Last week a water main broke . It was a main valve . schools, businesses all closed. Licensing was on the phone telling people they had to close if they did not have water.
bunnyslippers 10:56 AM 10-27-2012
Originally Posted by Jessie:
Bunnyslippers, I'm in your area and have been wondering the same thing. I don't want to jump the gun and inconvenience parents by closing when it's just a little wind and rain, but I also don't want to be stuck with kids here if things get really bad. I have an emergency policy in my handbook, but REALLY don't want to put it in action, and what if parents can't get to ME - then I'm really stuck with the little guys here!

I've put the question out to the group of providers I'm a member of here, to see what others are doing. I can PM you to let you know what they say.
That would be great! For me, if school is closed, then so am I. I just wish I knew how bad it was going to get here...I hate waiting on weather!
Reply Up