Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Big Monday Morning Vent!!!
Unregistered 05:49 AM 03-25-2013
Huge snow storm and spring break. Many parents at home anyways, someout sick. I had only TWO kids show up today and BOTH have parents that are staying home today!

Worst part is both are coughing their heads off. Is it terrible to wish they would run a slight fever so I could send them home?????

So frustrating!
momofboys 06:15 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Huge snow storm and spring break. Many parents at home anyways, someout sick. I had only TWO kids show up today and BOTH have parents that are staying home today!

Worst part is both are coughing their heads off. Is it terrible to wish they would run a slight fever so I could send them home?????

So frustrating!
Not terrible at all! We had about 7 in of snow last night on top of freezing rain & so far no one has showed & no one has called - NICE, huh?????? I would be breaking out the thermometer.
cheerfuldom 06:26 AM 03-25-2013
If they are coughing that bad, I would send them home, even without a fever. just let parents know they are too miserable to stay at daycare. plus my illness policy says fever OR inability to keep up with the daycares normal routine. if they are coughing and miserable, then no, they cannot keep up and need to be at home.
countrymom 06:28 AM 03-25-2013
I just don't understand why they would do this. Risk the lives of their children to drop them off at daycare and then go home. I would call them and tell them not only do they have slight fevers but they are coughing so much that they are having a hard time catching their breathes. (be prepared to be then told that they were medicated before they were dropped off)
momofboys 06:30 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If they are coughing that bad, I would send them home, even without a fever. just let parents know they are too miserable to stay at daycare. plus my illness policy says fever OR inability to keep up with the daycares normal routine. if they are coughing and miserable, then no, they cannot keep up and need to be at home.

Ups_and-downs 06:34 AM 03-25-2013
Yes I agree with the others. I have sent kids home with constant cough without fever. It is in my contract. Good luck !
littlemissmuffet 06:36 AM 03-25-2013
I too would send them home and not feel the least bit bad!
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 03-25-2013
I would have decided for them and simply said no.

Especially if I KNEW both parents were home.

I do agree with others, excessive coughing IS grounds for exclusion and they should be sent home.
wdmmom 07:15 AM 03-25-2013
Oh my gosh...they are coughing so bad, they coughed so hard they threw up a little. Come get them! BAHAHAHAHA
Mom&Provider 07:25 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Oh my gosh...they are coughing so bad, they coughed so hard they threw up a little. Come get them! BAHAHAHAHA

I've had this happen, too many times, and every time I get upset at these parents and it really does ruin my day. I know many here will say 'as long as I'm paid, I don't care', but when it happens alot or the kids are sick, it becomes upsetting...to me anyway. I feel where you are right now...I'd be upset for sure too!

I would get on the phone and call parents. Even if you say they are just coughing too much for you to control it and they appear uncomfortable. I don't really see at all how a parent can refuse to come, especially if they are at home anyway!?
Unregistered 07:31 AM 03-25-2013
idk sometimes I can't fgure parents out. I get that they are paying us, but then I get so many telling me how much they miss little "billy" and i just want to say, well, you could have spent X day with them, but you didn't.
They always think it's easier to get things done without the kids there.
I don't get it, I NEVER close aside from the vaca where I am gone away. I clean, had my home remodeled, deal with myself and my own kids being sick ALL while taking care of 6 other children!!

Just burns me up and makes me think that I need to think about a new career. Been doing this almost 20 years and I think parents are getting worse.
rmc20021 07:33 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Not terrible at all! We had about 7 in of snow last night on top of freezing rain & so far no one has showed & no one has called - NICE, huh?????? I would be breaking out the thermometer.
I probably ran into your snow/rain mix yesterday on my way home from Tennessee. I got into Indiana and it was sooooo bad out. Two hours later I stopped and the entire front of my car was covered in a 1-2 inch layer of ice...couldn't even see the headlights.

Hope you all stay in and stay safe who is in the middle of all that nastiness.
LittleD 08:00 PM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
idk sometimes I can't fgure parents out. I get that they are paying us, but then I get so many telling me how much they miss little "billy" and i just want to say, well, you could have spent X day with them, but you didn't.
They always think it's easier to get things done without the kids there.
Ahhh, thats what they TELL you, but if you probe, you find out they went home and took a nap, or got a mani/pedi or just watched movies all day! I've been there! "oh little Susie will be there today, just a little later then normal. I have the week off but I need to change the flooring in my kitchen and living room."
So how id it go today DCM?
"Oh, well I went back home and slept til 2, then went out for lunch and then out shopping!" Oh well, glad you had a good day....
Reply Up