Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transitioning Infant Into Daycare - Help!
hgonzalez 11:23 AM 11-11-2013
It'w week three with a new family, and a 3 month old baby. The first day was, of course, rough.

Last Monday was horrible and this Monday (today) is even worse. She is a breastfed baby and has refused a bottle all day today. She also appears to not want to sleep by herself.

Last Monday, I made it clear that she needs to be able to take a bottle and that she should get at least one bottle a day during the weekend. I also asked about her sleeping, what are her sleep arrangements during the day. I found out she sleeps with Mom during the day.

Today is awful, she has been crying about 80% of the day, and has only slept maybe 30 mins. She is clean, dry and burped. I have tried rocking, holding etc and as soon as she hits the pack n play, she screams.

I cannot continue to have every Monday like this. What exactly would you tell this baby's parents? Do you know of any good material on the web that I could send them both? I feel like they are not doing their part in preparing this little one for daycare, and I cannot continue to ignore the needs of the other kids for one baby.

Help!
daycarediva 12:26 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
It'w week three with a new family, and a 3 month old baby. The first day was, of course, rough.

Last Monday was horrible and this Monday (today) is even worse. She is a breastfed baby and has refused a bottle all day today. She also appears to not want to sleep by herself.

Last Monday, I made it clear that she needs to be able to take a bottle and that she should get at least one bottle a day during the weekend. I also asked about her sleeping, what are her sleep arrangements during the day. I found out she sleeps with Mom during the day.

Today is awful, she has been crying about 80% of the day, and has only slept maybe 30 mins. She is clean, dry and burped. I have tried rocking, holding etc and as soon as she hits the pack n play, she screams.

I cannot continue to have every Monday like this. What exactly would you tell this baby's parents? Do you know of any good material on the web that I could send them both? I feel like they are not doing their part in preparing this little one for daycare, and I cannot continue to ignore the needs of the other kids for one baby.

Help!
THIS is why I no longer take infants. Parents DO NOT set them up for success at daycare! I am unsure if it's because they have no idea what group care is, too lazy for sleep training and keeping on schedule, or what but man oh man!

I would tell parents flat out that every time baby refuses the bottle, you will call them to come feed her the bottle. You could also do as (nannyd, I believe) does and have them SHOW YOU that she can take a bottle.

As far as sleep goes, Mondays are always rough for all of my kids in care. No schedule, no routine over the weekend make for cranky drop offs. I always have an extra long nap and a laid back schedule on Monday.

Tell dcm flat out that in group care, baby needs to be sleep trained and content to not be held all day everyday and take a bottle. Set a deadline for improvement and if they don't work with you, term. It just isn't fair to you, baby or other children.
Cradle2crayons 12:26 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:

Help!
Explain it is THEIR job to transition the child to daycare, not yours.

Develop a game plan and ask hem to stick with it or term.
SSWonders 01:42 PM 11-11-2013
I am very lucky that the family I interviewed with today are already alternating feedings with the bottle. And the baby is only 3 weeks. But they want to be sure that it won't be a problem when mom returns to work. Yay!
TwinKristi 02:04 PM 11-11-2013
Mondays are always rough with the willy-nilly families. Their kids always come back super bratty and used to their parents giving into their tantrums and whining. I have one DCB who is always well-behaved here. His mom and Nana say he's a major brat at home though! LOL I guess I lucked out with him!
Reply Up