Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lesson planning
SilverSabre25 06:45 AM 10-09-2015
Except I don't, won't, do a full blown curriculum, so it's less "lesson planning" and more "we need varied activities sometimes".

Anyone else do a really low key sort of lesson planning and can show me how/on what you do the planning? I've got meal planning and homeschool lessons down to a science but am having trouble adding in daycare planning.
nanglgrl 06:52 AM 10-09-2015
Silver, if you go to my business's Facebook page I have a couple on there. I always do things the kids ca complete themselves. Mine is more of a newsletter..it lists the theme, books we will read and activities we will do that week. I don't like to say what we will do on a daily basis because some days end up just being busier than others or the children get caught up in play that I don't want to interrupt. It's Pitter Patter Learning Center.
CalCare 10:27 AM 10-09-2015
I have an outline I like. You fill in the area of development, reasons why it will help a specific child and why the child would be drawn to it (what have you observed causes you to think Johnny will need and desire to do mini dinosaurs with playdoh- expressed interest in playdoh-, problems with fine motor, trouble zipping jacket). I can write it out more completely, when I get a chance IF anyone is interested. This addresses all the areas of development. That's why I get frustrated with people saying curriculum isn't needed for 0-5, it is, just not the curriculum they think.

If you set it up to where you do at least one of these planned out activities a day, then you are curriculum planning and that's great. And when you do this, you will be putting in words, all the answers you need when you may not know what to tell parents. Ex parent: 'why does playing with dinos and playdoh- teach them to prep for k!?' You: 'I planned this activity specifically because I saw that some of the children need fine motor practice and as a bonus, they love dinos! So that draws them in. The fine motor practice will get them ready for holding pencils, scissors and writing as well as self care of zipping and buttons. That gives them more Independence which actually leads to a major reduction in strife with mom and dad- bonus for you!' Etc etc...

I'm sure you're doing tons of activities everyday already! I just love the planning aspect of why I do what activity. And what do I expect the outcome to be and then look for real results. I feel like I'm really making a difference when I do it this way. But I think a lot of people can do all of this in their heads and don't need to write it out. So I certainly have nothing against anyone who doesn't need to do it this way! I really like putting to words what I want to say before being put on the spot too.
Heidi 11:57 AM 10-09-2015
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I have an outline I like. You fill in the area of development, reasons why it will help a specific child and why the child would be drawn to it (what have you observed causes you to think Johnny will need and desire to do mini dinosaurs with playdoh- expressed interest in playdoh-, problems with fine motor, trouble zipping jacket). I can write it out more completely, when I get a chance IF anyone is interested. This addresses all the areas of development. That's why I get frustrated with people saying curriculum isn't needed for 0-5, it is, just not the curriculum they think.

If you set it up to where you do at least one of these planned out activities a day, then you are curriculum planning and that's great. And when you do this, you will be putting in words, all the answers you need when you may not know what to tell parents. Ex parent: 'why does playing with dinos and playdoh- teach them to prep for k!?' You: 'I planned this activity specifically because I saw that some of the children need fine motor practice and as a bonus, they love dinos! So that draws them in. The fine motor practice will get them ready for holding pencils, scissors and writing as well as self care of zipping and buttons. That gives them more Independence which actually leads to a major reduction in strife with mom and dad- bonus for you!' Etc etc...

I'm sure you're doing tons of activities everyday already! I just love the planning aspect of why I do what activity. And what do I expect the outcome to be and then look for real results. I feel like I'm really making a difference when I do it this way. But I think a lot of people can do all of this in their heads and don't need to write it out. So I certainly have nothing against anyone who doesn't need to do it this way! I really like putting to words what I want to say before being put on the spot too.
You have a form that you use? If so, can you share it?
auntymimi 12:50 PM 10-09-2015

This is awesome! We do an activity of the day. Some days it's a craft (we do some form of process art every day as well) it could be a science experiment, sensory bin, "field trip", or game. I have a small group and try to tailor our activities and themes to their ages and interests, but to have it all written out like that explaining the how's and whys would be great and parents would love that!
Unregistered 03:52 PM 10-09-2015
I can try to pm it to you 2 and anyone who wants, as soon as I can sign in! I'm having some kind of problem. I tried to change the password but the new password that was sent to me automatically doesn't work... :/ I just typed it all up with examples for you too! ;''''( I don't feel comfortable just leaving it in the body of a post online.
sahm1225 06:00 AM 10-10-2015
Can you PM me too please ?
CalCare 08:53 AM 10-10-2015
ok so, I copied and pasted in the pm place to those of you who asked but that was my first attempt at pm's and nothing seems to be happening. I did it with all three people and when I look at "sent messages" it says 0. Not sure if it takes time or what? Lemme know if you get anything!
auntymimi 09:57 AM 10-10-2015
Got it, thanks!
CalCare 11:27 AM 10-10-2015
great! no problem
Josiegirl 03:38 AM 10-11-2015
ok so, I copied and pasted in the pm place to those of you who asked but that was my first attempt at pm's and nothing seems to be happening. I did it with all three people and when I look at "sent messages" it says 0. Not sure if it takes time or what? Lemme know if you get anything!
Could you send it to me too? Please?
Thank you!!!!
SilverSabre25 06:55 AM 10-11-2015
send it to me? I didn't get anything yet (and it sounds awesome)
Josiegirl 07:29 AM 10-11-2015
great! no problem
Thank you so much! See, I never take the time to put it all into thoughtful actions, results, things like that. Maybe that's why I feel like OP in that I'm not really presenting lessons. I present the activities, the opportunities but don't put it all together to see results of the activity or what benefits they're getting out of it. This is a GREAT way to do that!! Thanks again!
CalCare 09:21 AM 10-11-2015
You're welcome. I didn't create it or anything. It's from an ECE class. I filled in the example
Baby Beluga 09:48 AM 10-11-2015
I would love a copy as well if you don't mind, please.
mim 09:35 AM 10-12-2015
I would love a copy also please.
bklsmum 12:34 PM 10-12-2015
I would also love a copy if you don't mind.
yodaone 01:52 PM 10-12-2015
Could you please send me a copy as well
Reply Up