Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions for Potential Families
homeishere 01:45 PM 11-04-2015
Hello,

I know I've seen it on here before, but can seem to find it now.

Does anyone have a list of questions they send potential families via email before setting up an initial interview?

Thanks,
Kristina
MarinaVanessa 02:26 PM 11-04-2015
I don't have a list of questions to email per say but I do have a call log, phone interview script and an in-person interview log.

When they make the first initial call they usually want some information about the daycare so I give them information about the things that are most important to me first ... that's what the phone script is for, it helps keep me on task and keeps me from forgetting stuff. The phone script also has my "deal-breakers". As I go through the script if they ask questions, make a comment or express a concern over something I said I take notes about it on regular lined paper. I keep the script in a plastic sheet protector and I mark what openings I have available with a wet-erase pen.

I also go through the call log and get their information like their names, kids names and ages, how many kids they're looking for daycare, days/hours they need and more. I write this info down on the lined paper too.

I also ask them if they have any questions and whatever they talk about I make a note of.

I write notes on blank lined paper because I can write quickly and then after the call I transfer the info to the logs, it helps me keep potential clients organised and I can write down any red flags I see.

I keep the script, logs and blank paper in one of those cardboard-like folders with the brads and keep it by my phone and a pen just in case I get a call so that I'm prepared.

After the first call if I think I can work with the hours they need and if I don't see any immediate red flags I ask them if they'd like to schedule a tour. At the tour is when I go over policies and show them around and after that if I don't see red flags I ask for their email address and I send them a PDF copy of my contract and policies to read at home.

I attached PDF's of my script, and logs so you can see what I mean.
Attached: Phone Interview Call Log.pdf (193.3 KB) Phone Interview Script.pdf (216.6 KB) In-Person Interview.pdf (200.7 KB) 
homeishere 02:55 PM 11-04-2015
Thank you so much! This is great.
284878 07:49 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't have a list of questions to email per say but I do have a call log, phone interview script and an in-person interview log.

When they make the first initial call they usually want some information about the daycare so I give them information about the things that are most important to me first ... that's what the phone script is for, it helps keep me on task and keeps me from forgetting stuff. The phone script also has my "deal-breakers". As I go through the script if they ask questions, make a comment or express a concern over something I said I take notes about it on regular lined paper. I keep the script in a plastic sheet protector and I mark what openings I have available with a wet-erase pen.

I also go through the call log and get their information like their names, kids names and ages, how many kids they're looking for daycare, days/hours they need and more. I write this info down on the lined paper too.

I also ask them if they have any questions and whatever they talk about I make a note of.

I write notes on blank lined paper because I can write quickly and then after the call I transfer the info to the logs, it helps me keep potential clients organised and I can write down any red flags I see.

I keep the script, logs and blank paper in one of those cardboard-like folders with the brads and keep it by my phone and a pen just in case I get a call so that I'm prepared.

After the first call if I think I can work with the hours they need and if I don't see any immediate red flags I ask them if they'd like to schedule a tour. At the tour is when I go over policies and show them around and after that if I don't see red flags I ask for their email address and I send them a PDF copy of my contract and policies to read at home.

I attached PDF's of my script, and logs so you can see what I mean.
I love your sheets. I have logs that I use to but I may have to ad your script to the bunch.
My problem is that I am no where near my file when I get a call. I have been called during day care on the weekends or when in the car. (not driving but riding) So I never have the file right there. Any suggestion on how to keep it on hand. Mostly I get emails but some will call. Should I just let it go to vmail?
Blackcat31 10:15 AM 11-05-2015
Here is the forms I use. You can find them in this thread in post number #22

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=22
MarinaVanessa 10:21 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I love your sheets. I have logs that I use to but I may have to ad your script to the bunch.
My problem is that I am no where near my file when I get a call. I have been called during day care on the weekends or when in the car. (not driving but riding) So I never have the file right there. Any suggestion on how to keep it on hand. Mostly I get emails but some will call. Should I just let it go to vmail?
I let my unknown/unrecognizable calls go to voicemail. And actually I use Google Hangouts (used to be Voice) which gave me a separate local phone number which is the number I use for my daycare. It's just a free service that transfers calls to whichever phones you want. I have my calls sent to my home land-line and my cell phone at the same time during daycare hours and then after-hours and on weekends I turn it off if I go somewhere.

You could always just make extra copies and keep them in your car/purse. I used to do that. I just made a copy of my script and added two columns then reduced the font size so that I could fold it into a booklet, the call logs are already half sheets so I didn't have to shrink those. Then I just kept a scratch pad on hand. I was also able to find a small clip board at the dollar store once which works well for the paper size. I just clipped the call log sheets on top, then the booklet with the script under it and kept it together with the scratch pad and slipped a pen where the gap in the clip is. It was small enough to keep in my car or put in my purse when I was out running errands or at an event. It's somewhere but over time I used it less and less and I kept forgetting to take it back out of my purse and eventually it ended up in my house and it's probably in a closet somewhere now
284878 10:40 AM 11-06-2015
I let my unknown/unrecognizable calls go to voicemail. And actually I use Google Hangouts (used to be Voice) which gave me a separate local phone number which is the number I use for my daycare. It's just a free service that transfers calls to whichever phones you want. I have my calls sent to my home land-line and my cell phone at the same time during daycare hours and then after-hours and on weekends I turn it off if I go somewhere.

You could always just make extra copies and keep them in your car/purse. I used to do that. I just made a copy of my script and added two columns then reduced the font size so that I could fold it into a booklet, the call logs are already half sheets so I didn't have to shrink those. Then I just kept a scratch pad on hand. I was also able to find a small clip board at the dollar store once which works well for the paper size. I just clipped the call log sheets on top, then the booklet with the script under it and kept it together with the scratch pad and slipped a pen where the gap in the clip is. It was small enough to keep in my car or put in my purse when I was out running errands or at an event. It's somewhere but over time I used it less and less and I kept forgetting to take it back out of my purse and eventually it ended up in my house and it's probably in a closet somewhere now
I have hang out on my tablet, how do I get a number?
Michael 04:09 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the forms I use. You can find them in this thread in post number #22

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=22
I updated your link. You know if you click on the comment number, it gives you the direct link to that comment?

Here are more interview question threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=22
MarinaVanessa 07:09 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I have hang out on my tablet, how do I get a number?
Here are the instructions. I think you have to sign up through Google Voice first. Here's the page with the instructions: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640?hl=en

I'm assuming that you can still sign up for a number, I signed up before Google Hangouts was a thing then I linked my Voice account to Hangouts and use that app now. I still change my setting using the Google Voice page. It's nice because you can set your outgoing message so you can have a voicemail message that people hear if they call your Google Voice number that's for your daycare and still keep your cell phone/home phone answering machine messages personal. I told all of my clients that I was changing my number so they'd stop calling my cell or home number
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
I updated your link. You know if you click on the comment number, it gives you the direct link to that comment?
I accidentally figured that out a while back but then could not for the life of me figure it out when I wanted to actually do that....

thank you!
284878 06:05 PM 11-10-2015
Here are the instructions. I think you have to sign up through Google Voice first. Here's the page with the instructions: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/150640?hl=en

I'm assuming that you can still sign up for a number, I signed up before Google Hangouts was a thing then I linked my Voice account to Hangouts and use that app now. I still change my setting using the Google Voice page. It's nice because you can set your outgoing message so you can have a voicemail message that people hear if they call your Google Voice number that's for your daycare and still keep your cell phone/home phone answering machine messages personal. I told all of my clients that I was changing my number so they'd stop calling my cell or home number
Thanks that worked. Got it set up.
Tags:interview questions
Reply Up