Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hi Everyone! 15 Month Old Blues
midaycare 12:28 PM 02-19-2018
It's been awhile! I have a 15 month old I need help with. She screams for everything. Never points or asks, screams. I will give some examples:

-Sitting waiting for me to serve lunch? Screams. I serve another child first? Screams.

- Wants to be picked up? Screams.

- Wants a book? Screams.

For the most part I ignore it, but the behavior seems ingrained and it's not going away. I've had her since 8 months and she's always been like this.

She can do independent play and isn't lacking anywhere that I can tell...the screaming is really getting on my nerves though. Any suggestions?
Mike 12:32 PM 02-19-2018
Does she hear fine? If not, she may not know how loud she is talking.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:40 PM 02-19-2018
Originally Posted by midaycare:
It's been awhile! I have a 15 month old I need help with. She screams for everything. Never points or asks, screams. I will give some examples:

-Sitting waiting for me to serve lunch? Screams. I serve another child first? Screams.

- Wants a book? Screams.

For the most part I ignore it, but the behavior seems ingrained and it's not going away. I've had her since 8 months and she's always been like this.

She can do independent play and isn't lacking anywhere that I can tell...the screaming is really getting on my nerves though. Any suggestions?

Does she talk at all? My 15 month old dck sounds very similar, only she says "Meh!". No apparent delays anywhere else, and I would say ahead even in some areas. I have no advice, just curious.
amberrose3dg 02:48 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by midaycare:

- Wants a book? Screams.

Is it an upset sounding scream or does it seem like that is her way of communicating?
daycarediva 03:59 AM 02-20-2018
What kind of screaming? Like unhappy I'm about to cry?

Is there any time she does NOT scream?

What happens if you don't indulge it?

Can she follow other directions?

Depending on the above, I would be super firm with it. "No screaming." and only reward her/give in when she stops.

Like any other behavior, it's learned. This gets her what she wants.
midaycare 07:56 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
What kind of screaming? Like unhappy I'm about to cry?
Yes, but no tears.
Is there any time she does NOT scream?
She can be very happy. It feels manipulative. I have to say that...
What happens if you don't indulge it?
Oh it gets so much louder. And then sometimes goes to tears.
Can she follow other directions?
She can.
Depending on the above, I would be super firm with it. "No screaming." and only reward her/give in when she stops.
This is what I'm trying, but her screaming outlived my sanity! I just turn my back and ignore and then when she (eventually, 10 min later, maybe longer) stops, I will hold her or give her what she wants.
Like any other behavior, it's learned. This gets her what she wants.
Answers above
midaycare 07:56 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Is it an upset sounding scream or does it seem like that is her way of communicating?
Definitely upset
midaycare 07:57 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
Does she talk at all? My 15 month old dck sounds very similar, only she says "Meh!". No apparent delays anywhere else, and I would say ahead even in some areas. I have no advice, just curious.
Not really. Well not words. But gibberish full sentences! I think she's on track!
midaycare 07:58 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
Does she hear fine? If not, she may not know how loud she is talking.
Pretty sure. She just has an ear splitting scream. Ugh!
Jo123ABC 08:06 AM 02-20-2018
I would give her a firm "no" every time and not give in to it. Don't let that be the reason you "jump" to give her what she wants.

I have a 16 mo. Old boy that used to say "ehhhhh!" When he wanted something. I would tell him "no, you don't talk to me that way." And give him the "stern" look. Now he only does it to his mom when she's here. Never to me thank goodness because that was irritating!
daycarediva 09:40 AM 02-20-2018
STICK IT OUT!

I would give her a firm "NO scream." and move her if you have to but I would NOT indulge that behavior. No way.

Sorry for your ears.
Pandaluver21 11:18 AM 02-20-2018
Have you tried any sign language?
flying_babyb 01:51 PM 02-20-2018
Ive got a child who does this. 17 months old, talks great. When you ask her to do somthing, its NO! then when I tell her "You dont talk to me like that" it turns into screaming. It dosent matter if its me sending her to play, or books, or table (for art, for lunch ect) its no. Ive tried sending her to the quiet corner (where she can throw things and scream) and she screams more. If ignored she runs laps around the room, which is unsafe. Ideas?
midaycare 04:55 PM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Have you tried any sign language?
She does know some but only a few words. It really seems just a manipulation. I know what her cry sounds like. This cry/scream is totally different. Happens every time she is told no. Her parents are great. And military. I don't think she's getting away with murder at home. But she also gets all the one-on-one she wants at home, and she is super needy!
Tags:screams all day
Reply Up