Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling guilty
sharlan 06:49 AM 06-30-2016
I sent one of my dcm's a text yesterday saying I wouldn't be taking her child back.

I've had the little guy for 2 1/2 years. Dcm quit her job in mid-April, so he hasn't been here since then. She says she's looking for a job, but I'm not sure.

I've posted about this dcm before. She's very young, single parent, no male in the picture. BUT, she's my most together parent, always stays on top of things.

My reason for telling her I wouldn't take him back if she got a job - I love my outings. I hate staying home. Last year I had an afternoon K, which I kept because I had had her for over 4 years. I couldn't go anywhere before school, no going anywhere in the afternoon while she was at school.

This little guy has special needs and goes to a special preschool. He has to be picked up at 1. I just don't want to give up my outings for another 3 or 4 years.

I feel guilty about it.
Rockgirl 06:58 AM 06-30-2016
I understand why you'd feel that way. However, I also get the need for getting out of the house. I was tied to the house for a couple of years due to infants, and I realized I wasn't happy as a provider anymore.

We have to take care of ourselves.
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I sent one of my dcm's a text yesterday saying I wouldn't be taking her child back.

I've had the little guy for 2 1/2 years. Dcm quit her job in mid-April, so he hasn't been here since then. She says she's looking for a job, but I'm not sure.

I've posted about this dcm before. She's very young, single parent, no male in the picture. BUT, she's my most together parent, always stays on top of things.

My reason for telling her I wouldn't take him back if she got a job - I love my outings. I hate staying home. Last year I had an afternoon K, which I kept because I had had her for over 4 years. I couldn't go anywhere before school, no going anywhere in the afternoon while she was at school.

This little guy has special needs and goes to a special preschool. He has to be picked up at 1. I just don't want to give up my outings for another 3 or 4 years.

I feel guilty about it.
I always feel guilty too but honestly if it's not working, it's not working.

I'm sure in time when you are on your fun outings, you'll forget all about feeling guilty.

You could always toss in the offer of being drop in if she ever needs it.......
sharlan 08:07 AM 06-30-2016
Nope. I don't take drop ins.

I will feel guilty until Aug15 when I head to Disneyland.
NeedaVaca 08:27 AM 06-30-2016
I don't blame you one bit and I wouldn't feel bad about it either! You know what makes you happy I won't take infants, even from current families...I have had 3 moms get pregnant in the last 2 years and they left my program once the baby was born. Yes, they were sad but they completely understood. 2 of them have brought the child to me after they were old enough I'm getting another one in August and I can't wait to work with the family again!
sharlan 10:13 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I don't blame you one bit and I wouldn't feel bad about it either! You know what makes you happy I won't take infants, even from current families...I have had 3 moms get pregnant in the last 2 years and they left my program once the baby was born. Yes, they were sad but they completely understood. 2 of them have brought the child to me after they were old enough I'm getting another one in August and I can't wait to work with the family again!

I did this in the past. I let them come back when baby was about 6 mos old.
NeedaVaca 10:17 AM 06-30-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I did this in the past. I let them come back when baby was about 6 mos old.
I won't even take them that young! I want 12 months or older, criteria is walking, self feeding and one nap per day.
Reply Up