Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snack Ideas Please Help
tenderhearts 01:23 PM 01-27-2020
I will be reopening next week and i am doing my menu for the next couple of weeks and planning ahead because I have a dairy free kid.
I am having trouble with dairy free options at snack qualifiable on food program. I can only think of hummus, anything else? what else do you use on bagels besides cream cheese? Help!!thanks
Snowmom 02:40 PM 01-27-2020
You just need 2 separate food components for AM or PM snack.

I typically stick to a veggie and grain for two reasons. I know the grain will always be eaten (avoids the "my kid is STARVING every day complaint) and veggies is typically the most lacking food group eaten at home. So, I try to do more veggies at lunch and snack for a good balance overall.

RAW Veggies:
carrot sticks, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet pepper thin slices and thin celery are my go to's.

Grains:
Mini naan, triangle cut pitas, triscuits and wheat crackers are my grains.

I also throw in roasted chickpeas, raisins, Chex cereal from time to time.
Cat Herder 02:45 PM 01-27-2020
Milk is only required to be served with breakfast and lunch so no need to substitute for snacks.

Bagels work well with preserves or apple butter.
tenderhearts 02:57 PM 01-27-2020
Thanks, that's a good idea but in past I have never had much luck with veggies, kids don't seem to like much of a variety except carrots.
Cat Herder 03:19 PM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Thanks, that's a good idea but in past I have never had much luck with veggies, kids don't seem to like much of a variety except carrots.
We are required to serve a minimum of three veggie servings per day.
tenderhearts 08:20 AM 01-28-2020
I am just finding it so hard to find something as in protein. Cheese cubes is a huge thing here so trying to find something for crackers besides cheese or hummus. I feel like this kid is going to eat the same thing if I can't find more options. His mom gave me some but they aren't on the program such as daiya, although I could do that and do 2 other food groups.
Tags:education vs professional dev, milk - alternatives, myplate, training courses
Reply Up