Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Registered Business Name for a Registered Family Child Care Home?
*Sunshine* 08:05 PM 05-20-2013
Is it smart to have a name for your home daycare? If so, does it need to be registered as a business name through the state you live in or can you just start using the name? I'm looking through paperwork and sounds like a "real and true" name can be a combination of your first, middle, & last name in the title of your business. If it is an assumed name then it does not have your real and true name in the business name. The paperwork says that if a person transacts business with an unregistered assumed business name, he or she may not have standing in court to pursue or defend legal actions, and may find it difficult to do business, for example, getting licenses, opening bank accounts, and entering into contracts. It doesn't say anything about cost and is very confusing. I would think a business name would help with marketing. I'm not sure if it is required for taxes. I'm just getting started and don't want to get myself in trouble.
TomCopeland 07:47 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by *Sunshine*:
Is it smart to have a name for your home daycare? If so, does it need to be registered as a business name through the state you live in or can you just start using the name? I'm looking through paperwork and sounds like a "real and true" name can be a combination of your first, middle, & last name in the title of your business. If it is an assumed name then it does not have your real and true name in the business name. The paperwork says that if a person transacts business with an unregistered assumed business name, he or she may not have standing in court to pursue or defend legal actions, and may find it difficult to do business, for example, getting licenses, opening bank accounts, and entering into contracts. It doesn't say anything about cost and is very confusing. I would think a business name would help with marketing. I'm not sure if it is required for taxes. I'm just getting started and don't want to get myself in trouble.
You are not required to establish a business name. It's not required to file your taxes. In most states if you use your full name (Tom Copeland) as the name of your business you do not need to register it. If you have a business name, many states require you to register it. Registering it means that other businesses can't use your name. Usually it costs very little to register a business name. Contact your state secretary of state's office to register. I think it's a good idea to have a business name.
*Sunshine* 10:11 AM 05-21-2013
Thanks Tom! I appreciate your response. I think I will register the name that I have in mind.
Unregistered 06:31 AM 05-28-2013
You just go to your local court house (i forget which specific office) just ask the front desk. Tell them you need to get a DBA. Your bank will ask for a copy and other such ppl. It cost about $15 here in Texas.
melonieb 04:10 PM 12-26-2013
I have my in home daycare named. Yes I am registered with the state so they use my name. But my husband and I decided to get our business name DBA. Worked out pretty good, now my business name is good for 10 years.
Tags:business name, home daycare
Reply Up