Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Full-timer who only comes part-time
supermom 06:22 AM 08-15-2014
Just wanna start by saying hello. I am new here.

I have a parent who is authorized for fulltime hours. She recentely has started a new job and now her daughter only comes one day out of the week. I am going to tell her about my newly implemented 3 day minimum. I don't know if i should make her pay a fee to make up the days her child doesn't come because she receives childcare by the state. I also don't take co-pay. Its obvious that she doesn't want to take her daughther out and I wouldn't want to see her go because she has been here since she was a baby. She says that she will soon go back to fulltime but I can't wait too long. I'm loosing alot of money with her.*

What would you do? Please help!!!
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 08-15-2014
Welcome to the forum!

What state are you in? Seems every state has different rules for accepting subsidy payments.

I charge by enrollment not attendance so if I were in your shoes, if the family signed on as a full time family, they would be expected to pay the full time rate regardless of how little the child attended care.
Cat Herder 07:29 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by shntbeal:

I have a parent who is authorized for fulltime hours.

she receives childcare by the state.

I also don't take co-pay.

I'm loosing alot of money with her.*

What would you do? Please help!!!
I am full time rate, no pay/no stay. I don't accept subsidy. But that has no real bearing to your situation.

I do not fully understand and need some clarification:

1. The state pays her directly (cash card) and you are not being paid?

2. The state only pays you for days they attend and they are not coming?

3. You are not making them pay their state ordered co-pay?
TheGoodLife 08:01 AM 08-15-2014
Do you have a contract? Is she supposed to pay for what she uses or pay a flat rate per week?
supermom 09:47 AM 08-17-2014
I live in Wisconsin. Here is attendance based pay and we are only paid for the actual days the child attends daycare. We also have an option to accept co pay. I do not because all of my children are full time and everyone comes everyday. Now that I am having this problem I dont know what to do. I dont think it would be fair to charge her a co pay and no one else but I have to make up what im not getting from the state or Ill have have to let her go. Also the state pays us directly when we submit our attendance.
supermom 09:53 AM 08-17-2014
Her child is authorized for 45 hours a week and
Im only being paid for about 8. Would you make her pay the additional hours based on the hourly rate given by the state or just make her pay her weekly co pay?
LysesKids 01:26 PM 08-17-2014
If she is authorized for 45 then she had to prove she was going to be needing that for work/transport time (or going to school); I always collected the copay to hold them responsible... the state can drop her off the rolls if she isn't using the authorized hours - you have to make the call soon or the state might not pay you because she reneged on her end ( it's why I stopped taking vouchers in WV) the state wouldn't pay me because a parent lied and I caught them in the lie... long story short version; they got caught because kid got ill and I called their job to find out they had quit a week earlier - left me without payment for an entire weeks work... never again

If she won't use the hours then I would drop her off state pay and make her go private; she may reconsider if told she has to show up every day (hold her responsible)... I would also start looking to fill her spot ASAP
midaycare 03:29 PM 08-17-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
If she is authorized for 45 then she had to prove she was going to be needing that for work/transport time (or going to school); I always collected the copay to hold them responsible... the state can drop her off the rolls if she isn't using the authorized hours - you have to make the call soon or the state might not pay you because she reneged on her end ( it's why I stopped taking vouchers in WV) the state wouldn't pay me because a parent lied and I caught them in the lie... long story short version; they got caught because kid got ill and I called their job to find out they had quit a week earlier - left me without payment for an entire weeks work... never again

If she won't use the hours then I would drop her off state pay and make her go private; she may reconsider if told she has to show up every day (hold her responsible)... I would also start looking to fill her spot ASAP
You have to put you first.
supermom 08:04 PM 08-17-2014
You both are right and I have been thinking about only accepting private pay. I am going to make the necessary steps toward finding another child to fill the spot. She may loose her childcare anyway being that she doesn't use all her hours. Thank you so much for your help.
CraftyMom 08:44 PM 08-17-2014
So if she NEEDED to use 5 days she could, but isn't, she's only using one, and you're losing money on 4 days

I would tell her this. She signed on for 5 days. Give her the option to come 3 days (your minimum) until she needs full time again, but give a time limit. She comes 5 days by xx date or you'll fill the spot.

Also let her know that she may be in danger of losing her state subsidy altogether by not adhering...she may not realize
midaycare 09:27 PM 08-17-2014
I forgot to say ... Welcome!
coolconfidentme 03:43 AM 08-18-2014
Originally Posted by shntbeal:
Her child is authorized for 45 hours a week and
Im only being paid for about 8. Would you make her pay the additional hours based on the hourly rate given by the state or just make her pay her weekly co pay?
I accept subsidy. My contract is space based, not attendance. I stress to parents, they are responsible for my fee when they do not meet the minimal hours required for full time pay. Some opt to use their PTO hours on those weeks. Not sure if your state has those.
supermom 05:14 AM 08-18-2014
Thank you all for your comments. I'll have to check into the pto hours because im not sure if we have that in wisconsin. Craftymom you are absolutely right as well, she may not know. Ill contact her today to explain the situation and let her know what needs to change because I doubt that she'll want to lose her childcare all together. Ill keep you guys posted on how that conversation goes.
Tags:subsidy, subsidy issues
Reply Up