Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gggrrr, ggrrr and more gggrrr.......
Meeko 04:38 AM 04-15-2011
I take off 7 paid days during the course of the year. Six of them are national holidays. ONE is a "me" holiday. I always take off Good Friday as a paid day. I like to have the long weekend over Easter with my family and depending when Easter falls, it's around my wedding anniversary time. (30 years this coming Monday)

I have a state pay family who started with me about 6 months ago. I put a reminder notice up on the door yesterday reminding parents we are closed next Friday. (It's in their handbook AND on the calendar by the door....but I find I have to hit them over the head with it.....) The dcd says "Oh you're closed next Friday? But I don't have that day off"

I replied "It's one of my paid holidays" He exclaims "Paid too?!" I again reminded him that I only take off 7 days during the year and that 6 of them are national holidays and so most people are off those days anyway. This happens to be ONE day that I take off for ME.

His comment was (very sarcastically)

"Only seven days off huh? What do ya call every weekend?"

I could feel my blood boiling! They get every single penny of their day care paid for by the state (three kids) For ONE DAY out of the whole year they are going to have to find alternate care and maybe pay another person...although I know that grandma lives close by....

I guess parents really do think that we don't deserve one single day off that might inconvenience them.
Stacy214 04:42 AM 04-15-2011
WOW how rude!
SilverSabre25 04:45 AM 04-15-2011
Good grief...I would have been so angry...
morgan24 04:52 AM 04-15-2011
I would of been really mad over that comment. I never justify why I'm taking a day off. I figure they can make other arrangements. I might of said it's really not my problem what you do because I have the day off.
Meyou 05:00 AM 04-15-2011
Wow, that is just wrong. Some people just feel so entitled it boggles my mind.
Meeko 05:26 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I take off 7 paid days during the course of the year. Six of them are national holidays. ONE is a "me" holiday. I always take off Good Friday as a paid day. I like to have the long weekend over Easter with my family and depending when Easter falls, it's around my wedding anniversary time. (30 years this coming Monday)

I have a state pay family who started with me about 6 months ago. I put a reminder notice up on the door yesterday reminding parents we are closed next Friday. (It's in their handbook AND on the calendar by the door....but I find I have to hit them over the head with it.....) The dcd says "Oh you're closed next Friday? But I don't have that day off"

I replied "It's one of my paid holidays" He exclaims "Paid too?!" I again reminded him that I only take off 7 days during the year and that 6 of them are national holidays and so most people are off those days anyway. This happens to be ONE day that I take off for ME.

I could feel my blood boiling! They get every single penny of their day care paid for by the state (three kids) For ONE DAY out of the whole year they are going to have to find alternate care and maybe pay another person...although I know that grandma lives close by....

I guess parents really do think that we don't deserve one single day off that might inconvenience them.
But then I just got a call from another parent.....she says "I'm at Sams Club and I want to get some treats for the day care. I'm getting two cases of Capri Sun...what flavor would you like?" She's such a sweetheart. Always bringing me or the kids treats. I get thank you notes all the time etc.

She's the opposite to the rude dad....so I guess I'll count my blessings and bite my lip!!!
Meeko 05:54 AM 04-15-2011
But then I just got a call from another parent.....she says "I'm at Sams Club and I want to get some treats for the day care. I'm getting two cases of Capri Sun...what flavor would you like?" She's such a sweetheart. Always bringing me or the kids treats. I get thank you notes all the time etc.

She's the opposite to the rude dad....so I guess I'll count my blessings and bite my lip!!!
Further update:

Mom arrives with 2 cases of juice, 2 cases of fruit snacks, three new books, a movie and a box with 20 (oh my!) bars of chocolate for me!!! I'm gonna be as fat as a house...but she has restored my faith!!
Zoe 06:01 AM 04-15-2011
Further update:

Mom arrives with 2 cases of juice, 2 cases of fruit snacks, three new books, a movie and a box with 20 (oh my!) bars of chocolate for me!!! I'm gonna be as fat as a house...but she has restored my faith!!
That is what keeps me going. The parents who are AWESOME! What a nice surprise for you!
TBird 06:07 AM 04-15-2011
Grrrrrr.....I'm sure HE gets more than weekends off!!! Some parents think they own our time and that our families are not as important as theirs are. And weekends are not the same as week days JERK-O!!!
boysx5 06:08 AM 04-15-2011
gotta love the good ones and just ignore the rude ones I say everyone deserves a day off
SilverSabre25 06:10 AM 04-15-2011
Further update:

awww! How sweet! I would love a dcfamily like that!

At least she was able to bring some sunshine to your day!
daycare 06:22 AM 04-15-2011
Wow that was rude as all heck
I would have replied who said I didn't work weekends? Glad someone helped turn your day around
TBird 06:32 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Wow that was rude as all heck
I would have replied who said I didn't work weekends? Glad someone helped turn your day around

AWESOME RESPONSE!!!
Yes...and some of them think they know every single thing about us...as if what you see during drop-off & pick-up is all that we are or ever will be....PULEEZE!!!
momofboys 06:35 AM 04-15-2011
Very rude. I would not have known how to respond as I would have been in shock!
AnythingsPossible 06:38 AM 04-15-2011
Further update:

Does your DCM have a sister in wyoming who needs daycare??
I think I have a few I could toss to make room!!

Enjoy your 3 day weekend next week. We all deserve our days off! We are going to the in-laws, definitely looking forward to getting out of town!
Unregistered 09:39 AM 04-15-2011
If he is a state paid family he never paid you for those other holidays anyway right? Our assistance pays for those so the parents never pay out of pocket for those days anyhow.

If they were smart they would find another provider who accepts assitance or get gma to be ok'd through family care (which assitance in our area pays also) and then they wouldnt even have to worry about paying the other provider. All they have to do is make sure the provider is set up to bill for that day (and would be authroized to do so prior). I've done it many times for families that have providers on vacay.
Meeko 12:07 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If he is a state paid family he never paid you for those other holidays anyway right? Our assistance pays for those so the parents never pay out of pocket for those days anyhow.

If they were smart they would find another provider who accepts assitance or get gma to be ok'd through family care (which assitance in our area pays also) and then they wouldnt even have to worry about paying the other provider. All they have to do is make sure the provider is set up to bill for that day (and would be authroized to do so prior). I've done it many times for families that have providers on vacay.
This is the only day out of my paid vacations days that he has to work. I can't believe he is griping over it. He already brings his kids from 6AM to 6PM. His wife has some "issues" and supposedly is not capable of caring for the three kids all day even though she doesn't work (and yet is pregnant again!!!!)...so as he works 6-6, he needed a provider who could take at those times and I agreed to. The state is paying 100% of the bill. So it bugs me that he has the audacity to complain over ONE day when I am already bending over backwards to help him.
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 04-15-2011

Maybe you should have said "Well, atleast I don't charge you for those days." (the weekends)
missnikki 12:40 PM 04-15-2011
I would have said, "It's not always the kids that I need a break from, sometimes it's the parents."

Enjoy your vacation!
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I would have said, "It's not always the kids that I need a break from, sometimes it's the parents."

Enjoy your vacation!
Amen!! Besides, I provide child care for free to children...it is the parents I charge for.
cheerfuldom 02:16 PM 04-15-2011
oh goodness. I think I would have slapped him and blamed it on the pregnancy hormones
kidkair 03:10 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe you should have said "Well, atleast I don't charge you for those days." (the weekends)
LOL! Great idea! I have a list of "days you don't pay for" in my policies and I think I'll add Sat and Sun to the list!
Tags:bad parent, days off, personal days, subsidy, vent
Reply Up