Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time For A Sick Policy Lecture!
Meeko 10:35 AM 08-05-2011
Mom brings kids early this morning. They all crash out until breakfast time. Ten year old boy tells me he doesn't feel well. I ask what's wrong. He tell me his throat hurts. I look down his throat. COVERED in white blisters!

I tell him I am calling his mom. He says "Oh she knows...she's told me to just try and make it through today and then she'll take me to the doctors"

He lies on the couch while waiting for mom to pick up. When she gets here, she calls from her car and says "Send him out...I have to get back to work...he'll just have to spend the day with me" He gets up off the couch and I discover he has terrible diarrhea. He's TEN. The poor kid is mortified. It's all over him, the couch etc etc He runs out to his mom's car and off she speeds.

THEN...I remember she works at 7-11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's going to take a kid with diarrhea and probably strep throat to a place that sells food to the public!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When she gets here to pick up the rest of the kids tonight, I will be not be nice!!
2ndFamilyDC 10:38 AM 08-05-2011
You have got to be kidding!!! This is complete insanity. A lecture is definitely in order.
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 08-05-2011
seriously????
mom2many 10:46 AM 08-05-2011
YIKES!!!!!!! Definitely time for a lecture! That is horrible!
PitterPatter 10:47 AM 08-05-2011
OMG that poor kid! He will be suffering all day. She needs to take him to the Dr not her work! This is exactly why I tell parents they NEED a back up provider, family member or friend just in case!
Unregistered 10:58 AM 08-05-2011
I would (and have) terminate a family for pulling stunts like that! There is no excuse for something like that to ever happen!
Meyou 11:51 AM 08-05-2011
OMG. I hope she takes him home to get cleaned up at least. Poor boy.
Meeko 11:58 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would (and have) terminate a family for pulling stunts like that! There is no excuse for something like that to ever happen!
The mother drives me crazy. She has 6 kids here. The only stability they get is here. I've had them for many years. I love the kids so much that I hate to think what she'll do if I terminate her contract. Financially it wouldn't be a bad hardship as we have a full house (licensed for 16) and a waiting list...but I KNOW the kids would suffer. She's not going to find another provider around here with 6 openings available all at once (one infant) She's state pay too.

She's been my client long enough that I won't beat around the bush with her about bringing the kids sick.

I talked to all the day care kids at lunch time today about staying healthy etc (snuck it in like a circle time thing) We talked about healthy foods and then all about staying home if we are sick! I told them to remind Mommy and Daddy that they aren't allowed to come to day care if they are sick! Rally the troops!!! LOL!
Meeko 12:03 PM 08-05-2011
In the mean time....the couch has been stripped. I keep a blanket on the seat just for this reason...and I can launder it at any time. It's also been stripped of it's cushion covers and they have been washed...twice...

The cushions have been sanitized and are drying in the sun on the deck.

I think we're good. Grr!
MarinaVanessa 12:25 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
In the mean time....the couch has been stripped. I keep a blanket on the seat just for this reason...and I can launder it at any time. It's also been stripped of it's cushion covers and they have been washed...twice...

The cushions have been sanitized and are drying in the sun on the deck.

I think we're good. Grr!
Note to self: cover my new couch with a blanket.
Meeko 12:30 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Luckily it's my day care couch and not my "good" one at home! This one is microfiber and scrubs up pretty well...thank goodness!
Kaddidle Care 01:31 PM 08-05-2011
I'm beginning to think those old plastic couch covers may come back in style for Daycare Providers!

Poor kid! He needed to go to the Dr. and then home to bed! A 7-11 job is not worth it.
MarinaVanessa 01:52 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Luckily it's my day care couch and not my "good" one at home! This one is microfiber and scrubs up pretty well...thank goodness!
Yep I got a new micro-fiber couch a few months ago for the same reason and even ponied up for the scotch guard and guarantee. It's easy to clean but I never thought about one of the DC kids pooing on the couch
I will deffinetely throw a throw over it (no pun intended)
Blackcat31 02:01 PM 08-05-2011
This is one of the biggest reaons I ditched my couch years ago. Now we have no furniture except the kind that is hard surfaced and wipeable.

We really need a throw up emoticon.
DaycareMama 02:35 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
You know what works well as a safe guard under that blanket? If you get a waterproof crib mattress pad cover and fit it over the top of the cushions. If you have a longer couch and you are crafty you can cut and sew two together for the extra lengh.
Meeko 02:58 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
You know what works well as a safe guard under that blanket? If you get a waterproof crib mattress pad cover and fit it over the top of the cushions. If you have a longer couch and you are crafty you can cut and sew two together for the extra lengh.
Great idea!
MarinaVanessa 03:02 PM 08-05-2011
that's a great idea. I'm doing it right now. I have a spare somewhere around here.
Tags:bad parent, diarrhea, parents - irresponsible, parents - oblivious, sick policy
Reply Up