Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant shot policy
Ac114 09:32 AM 12-13-2018
Does anyone have a policy where infants are not allowed to attend the same day they have their shots? Is this a thing? I have a set of twins that are freakin miserable and scream on and off all day when they get their shots. It’s so frustrating to listen to all day but idk if I’m just being nit picky at this point.

Parents are actually off today to go Christmas shopping and imlistening to cries 😩😩
CountryRoads 09:41 AM 12-13-2018
I don't, but I've never had an issue with it before.

I know a lot of providers have in their policies that if the child isn't "themselves" or is unable to participate in activities, then that is reason to exclude.

I would be frustrated that the parents didn't have to work and still dropped off their cranky, fussy babies with me.
Ariana 09:50 AM 12-13-2018
I don’t have it in my policies because most kids are fine. Crying off and on all day for no reason warrants a call for pickup in my policies so that kid would be gone for sure!
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 12-13-2018
I exclude for 48 hours after immunizations. NO exceptions.

In your case, I'd call for pick up due to crankiness.
Cat Herder 09:57 AM 12-13-2018
I don't exclude for shots, but I do monitor for reactions and send home accordingly. This resource may help you:

https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...tion+Reactions
hwichlaz 09:57 AM 12-13-2018
Any time children act unwell they need to go home. The reason doesn't matter.
Pestle 10:00 AM 12-13-2018
I don't exclude for shots, but I let the parents know that if the kids can't rest or participate, they'll have to go home. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm only two years in and with a small group.
Reimel61 10:31 AM 12-13-2018
I have one parent who does keep DC child home when they get shots. She's pregnant with #2 due in April and I assume she'll do the same with this one. I too have in my policies about not being well enought to participate you need to go home, but I think this is something I would like to implement in my program for children 3 and under. Don't know if this will comply with the ADA for age discrimination. I believe in getting the children vaccinated but think too many shots are given at one time.
Blackcat31 10:39 AM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by Reimel61:
I have one parent who does keep DC child home when they get shots. She's pregnant with #2 due in April and I assume she'll do the same with this one. I too have in my policies about not being well enought to participate you need to go home, but I think this is something I would like to implement in my program for children 3 and under. Don't know if this will comply with the ADA for age discrimination. I believe in getting the children vaccinated but think too many shots are given at one time.
Excluding for immunizations is not in any way discriminatory. The ADA has nothing to do with immunizations or exclusionary policies regarding them.
hwichlaz 10:45 AM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by Reimel61:
No, it's fine to require children who are recently medicated to stay home until parents can be sure that there won't be an adverse reaction. It's not discriminatory.
LittleExplorers 11:20 AM 12-13-2018
I do not allow them to attend the same day. I also encourage Friday appointments.
Kimskiddos 01:42 PM 12-13-2018
For years I allowed kids to come after vaccinations, and did have to suffer along with a few that didn't take them too well. Then I learned from the ladies here that there was another way.

This is what is in my handbook and I am very happy that I put it there. Now no more worries about possible side affects, little ones not feeling well, plus the disruption of our day. I explain my reasoning upon enrollment while going over the handbook.

**Immunizations: When it is time to schedule your child’s shots, please schedule them for a Friday or a day when you the parent can be with child for the following 24 hours. Child may only return to care 24 hours after receiving immunizations.
Tags:immunization exclusion, shots
Reply Up