Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got a Question
mia 04:47 PM 03-23-2015
First off I hope everyone has been doing good.

My question

I just got a call for a possible client, the child is toddler age, has Eipen for egg allergy and has club foot with braces.

Just wondering it I should take on. Would you?
Does anyone have menu's (samples) for an egg allergy child?

Thank you all.
kendallina 04:58 PM 03-23-2015
I used to have a child who was allergic to eggs, it wasn't a huge deal (all my kids bring their own lunches, I provide snack). You just have to really be aware all the time before you give the child anything....they cannot have cake/cupcakes/cookies/mayonnaise/I'm sure there's more that I can't remember... It wasn't a major problem and mom always had a stock of frozen egg free cookies that she'd bring when we were going to have something special with eggs.

My own daughter had leg braces and so did one little guy that I had, it wasn't a problem, just takes a few minutes longer before going outside (we have shoes off inside the house).
Thriftylady 05:04 PM 03-23-2015
The egg allergy would be my biggest fear. I would ask mom to provide ALL food for him. I have a slight allergy to eggs along with many other foods, I still eat them it is so hard to avoid them. When you look at labels, eggs are EVERYWHERE, so it can be so hard. I have it in my contract that special diets are provided by the parents.
LysesKids 05:09 PM 03-23-2015
Originally Posted by mia:
First off I hope everyone has been doing good.

My question

I just got a call for a possible client, the child is toddler age, has Eipen for egg allergy and has club foot with braces.

Just wondering it I should take on. Would you?
Does anyone have menu's (samples) for an egg allergy child?

Thank you all.
I actually have a kid that has more allergies than this... it is possible to find egg/dairy/soy & gluten free cake mixes & frosting (I use almond milk with powdered sugar for glaze), pancakes can be made without eggs - just make all bread type products yourself ( from scratch) because eggs can be hidden in numerous products. I cook from scratch including baby food so I know what is going into my kids. applesauce can sub for eggs in quick breads, and so can banana. It's not hard after awhile, but it does mean reading labels and knowing hidden words for some stuff

Chicken Zucchini Noodle Soup and Strawberry Avocado Salad
Lentil, Mushroom and Spinach Stew and Carrot Fries
Beef Tacos and Cauliflower Rice with Peas
Slow Cooked Herb Chicken and Curry Pea Soup
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower and Simply Steamed Green Beans
Marinara Sauce with Spaghetti Squash and Italian Bean Salad
Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach and Carrot Fries
Cashew Alfredo Linguini and Roasted Fennel and Butternut Squash
Pumpkin Seed Avocado Wraps (with tortillas) and Broccoli Cauliflower Bisque
Dessert: Fig and Nut Spice Bars
Leigh 06:03 PM 03-23-2015
The clubfoot is nothing. Braces are easy to use, and the child will soon only use them at night. The egg allergy would freak me out because SO MANY thing have eggs. If it were an option, I'd ask the parents to provide all meals to take the responsibility off me for meal planning.
spinnymarie 06:11 PM 03-23-2015
I'd want to meet with the family about our daycare menu, meal planning and food providing.
We recently enrolled a child with a gluten allergy - overall a pretty easy switch. We checked all the foods we purchase, and mom brought in an equivalent gluten-free version of things that he can't eat. She brought in some bread, rolls, noodles and cereal, and we just substitute. Takes a little extra work to prep his separately, but no more than 5 minutes.
Josiegirl 02:47 AM 03-24-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:

Chicken Zucchini Noodle Soup and Strawberry Avocado Salad
Lentil, Mushroom and Spinach Stew and Carrot Fries
Beef Tacos and Cauliflower Rice with Peas
Slow Cooked Herb Chicken and Curry Pea Soup
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower and Simply Steamed Green Beans
Marinara Sauce with Spaghetti Squash and Italian Bean Salad
Lentils with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach and Carrot Fries
Cashew Alfredo Linguini and Roasted Fennel and Butternut Squash
Pumpkin Seed Avocado Wraps (with tortillas) and Broccoli Cauliflower Bisque
Dessert: Fig and Nut Spice Bars

Are these things you feed your dcks?? I wish mine would eat stuff like this!! I wish I knew how to make things like these.
LysesKids 04:00 AM 03-24-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Are these things you feed your dcks?? I wish mine would eat stuff like this!! I wish I knew how to make things like these.
Yes, my toddlers will eat this most of the menu & it works for my gluten free/dairy free/soy free drop-in foster child too (menu is egg free also); I alter it somewhat for my youngest babes, but yep, the kids eat all types of veg & my menu changes countries also (I cook alot of ethnic food); I have a few people on this forum that follow my FB page just to see my menus each day lol

When My foster kids aren't here I can do regular breads, instead of gluten/dairy free. I even make homemade corn tortilla - the kids call them puffies because they poof up when done then flatten ( I use a cast iron skillet). I guess because I start the kids as babies, they learn early about variety. Yesterday one of my 6 month olds ate a mash of sweet potato w/garbanzo beans, she loved it... I have 11 month old kids eating rice balls & Japanese sweet omelets with stir fried asparagus. I plan menus 48 hrs in advance at best because I work around what I find at the store on weekends lol
mia 08:17 AM 03-24-2015
Thank you all....

I will let you all know if they decide to come with me or not

Now if they did decide to join me, should I ask that they leave an Eipen here at all times?

Have a great day ladies....
Shell 08:46 AM 03-24-2015
Originally Posted by mia:
Thank you all....

I will let you all know if they decide to come with me or not

Now if they did decide to join me, should I ask that they leave an Eipen here at all times?

Have a great day ladies....
Yes, I've had many, many kids with all sorts of allergies.
They usually have one for daycare and one for home. Make sure they aren't expired, and make sure you are trained on how to use one properly.
mia 10:50 AM 03-30-2015
I have not heard back from this family, so I guess they are not coming to me.... maybe the next family...... Thanks to all that helped....
Martha Stewart 11:05 AM 03-30-2015
If they do decide to come...

I am the mom to a child with anaphylaxis to tree nuts. When she was younger & would go somewhere consistently I kept 2 extra epi-pens at that location. As a DCP, I have specialized in dealing with children with severe food allergy, and I require 2 epi's to be onsite all the time the child is in my care. This has led most families to get an extra set to keep here. Make sure you always have 2 injectors. If the first one fails, or isn't enough to stop the reaction you need the 2nd. Also, a biphasic reaction could occur if EMS didn't arrive in time. I do not allow any food to be brought into my home except for sealed baby food jars, breast milk and infant formula. This way, I control what the dck's come into contact with. I will not keep contact dairy allergic children, because my home isn't dairy free - but I have worked with children with peanut, tree nut, egg & soy allergies. Making menu's is the easy part - assuring dcp that you will take the allergy serious requires trust, which can only develop over time.

You may not get this family, but it's good information to have nonetheless.
Reply Up