Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Couple of Infant Questions....
kathiemarie 09:15 AM 02-04-2014
1. Is the age you give cows milk still one year +?
2. Is whole milk still the recommended type of milk for under 2?

I have a mom telling me that her doctor said it was okay to start giving her son (10 months) cows milk and NON-fat was ok. I don't really believe her because this same mom also said her doctor said it was fine to have her child at 8 months in a forward facing car seat. So I know she lies to me. Just double checking to make sure the recommendation haven't changed in the last few years.
MotherNature 09:34 AM 02-04-2014
You are correct. Mom is dead wrong. Kids need fat. Non-fat milk is not ok. If they are vegan or lactose/casein intolerant (like myself), then almond or coconut milk is fine for a liquid, but I still wouldn't necessarily give it to them til 1. Especially if there's allergies. Milk before 1 can cause intestinal bleeding. Not all kids, but I wouldn't push it for the sake of a couple months, ya know?
crazydaycarelady 09:48 AM 02-04-2014
Yes to #1 and #2. Why is dcm pushing it I wonder?
ihop 09:57 AM 02-04-2014
She's either lying or needs a new doctor!!!!

I've seen parents overly concerned that their child will "get fat" and they push skim milk on infants.
harperluu 10:14 AM 02-04-2014
I think most doctors recommend waiting until one because of the iron found in formula. I have heard some doctors okay whole milk at 10 mos. but the infant would need to be confidently eating solids and have an iron rich diet.
Unregistered 10:30 AM 02-04-2014
I wouldn't necessarily agree. Most kids still go to whole milk at age 1 but my own children did not based on a doctors recommendation. The whole milk thing is because kids stomachs are small and they do need fat. My kids were not picky eaters and ate a lot and they ate pretty much anything we gave them. Still do. We were told to put them on 2% or skim because they didn't need the fat.

http://www.parents.com/baby/feeding/...-myths/#page=4
CraftyMom 10:36 AM 02-04-2014
Perhaps she doesn't want to buy formula anymore? Gets expensive! But you are correct! Whole milk can cause digestive issues if they're younger than a year. And whole milk until 2, after that 1%. This is mandated by my food program. If you use a food program the rules are the same and you can point that out to the mom, that the food program will not allow you to give a child under a year whole milk. Any deviation from the rules requires a doctor's statement to be provided to the food program for approval.
CraftyMom 10:40 AM 02-04-2014
On the non fat issue, kids need the fat for proper development. Very little of a child's total daily fat intake comes from milk. If parents are concerned they should be cutting out empty calorie high fat foods and snacks, not nutritious milk
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 02-04-2014
If you are on the food program, you'll need a doctor's statement I believe to serve cows milk before 1 yr old.

My own son was on cows milk by 6 months. He also had 8 teeth, walked unassisted and used silverware. He was an odd duck but VERY smart and VERY advanced physically for his age. He was a tiny thing though...barely scratched 20lbs by first birthday. 4lbs 9 oz at birth.

I have had DCK's stay on breastmilk until age 5 and I've had kids remain on formula well past their 1st birthday.

I guess it depends on the individual child and their health as well as their doctor's opinion.

I wouldn't make any changes to a child's diet though unless advised (in writing) by the child's pediatrician.
MCC 11:53 AM 02-04-2014
I have a 10 month old here, and the Dr. recommended he start whole milk, just 8oz a day. He is underweight, even though he takes in more food than my 3yo DD, they hope that giving him some whole milk will help. He's breastfed.

When mom told me about the milk I was hesitant, but they are only doing it at home, he is still on BM here.
kathiemarie 11:54 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
She's either lying or needs a new doctor!!!!

I've seen parents overly concerned that their child will "get fat" and they push skim milk on infants.
I think she is lying. She told me her doctor also said it was ok for her to have him in a front facing car seat at 8 months!
I will do what I need to do here and try not to worry about what she does at home.
kathiemarie 11:55 AM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you are on the food program, you'll need a doctor's statement I believe to serve cows milk before 1 yr old.

My own son was on cows milk by 6 months. He also had 8 teeth, walked unassisted and used silverware. He was an odd duck but VERY smart and VERY advanced physically for his age. He was a tiny thing though...barely scratched 20lbs by first birthday. 4lbs 9 oz at birth.

I have had DCK's stay on breastmilk until age 5 and I've had kids remain on formula well past their 1st birthday.

I guess it depends on the individual child and their health as well as their doctor's opinion.

I wouldn't make any changes to a child's diet though unless advised (in writing) by the child's pediatrician.
That's a good idea about getting it in writing. I will ask for it tomorrow because dcd picks up tonight.
MNMommy2 11:57 AM 02-04-2014
Oh, my! Whole milk has the fat that is needed. It is all I buy for my whole family. When on the food program it wasn't allowed but I'm legally unlicensed now.
TwinKristi 01:11 PM 02-04-2014
Whole milk is needed for their rapid brain development/growth after 1yr. Some drs say it's ok to introduce "dairy" like cheese and yogurt at 8-10mos but even that shouldn't be low-fat. They make full fat yogurt for babies, YoBaby, or get the cream top stuff.
We use whole milk for our family and even though I offer the kids milk, neither of my daycare kids drink it. One drinks goats milk at home and the other drinks almond milk at home. Whole milk is actually better for your body! This is a great article about its benefits with some research cited. http://chriskresser.com/whole-fat-mi...-for-moms-kids
spud912 01:21 PM 02-04-2014
I agree with Blackcat....nothing should be altered at DAYCARE without a signed note with specific instructions from the physician (ie date to start cow's milk, what fat level, and amount per day).

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule. I breastfed both of my daughters but my milk dried up at 11 months with dd#2. She downright REFUSED formula and ate really well (healthy food and a lot of variety), so the doctor said it was close enough to 12 months to switch her to regular milk. I know whole milk is generally the rule until age 2, but she is skin and bones so she still drinks whole milk at age 3 (per doctor's orders). She is at 24/25 lbs now and is 3 years and 3 months .
TwinKristi 01:27 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
I don't really believe her because this same mom also said her doctor said it was fine to have her child at 8 months in a forward facing car seat.
SO SAD!! It's the law in every state that a child remain RF until age 1, but it's recommended to RF until age 2 or the maximum weight limit of your carseat. My DS is 2y2m, 30lbs and still RF!
Angelsj 05:18 AM 02-05-2014
I only buy whole milk, so all my kiddos drink it.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/melanieh...arvard-expert/
Jack Sprat 10:55 AM 02-05-2014
Our girls started drinking cow milk mixed with breast milk at 10 months. Her ped. said this was fine to do. He also advised giving whole milk and breast milk if I had any pumped till they were two. Once they turned two I switched to 1%.
Tags:milk
Reply Up