Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Think I'm Making Drop Offs Awkward - Suggestions?
Indoorvoice 10:18 AM 11-11-2015
I have a bi level house. In the mornings, the kids play downstairs in the playroom as people arrive. When I hear the door open, I meet the parent and child upstairs at the entrance. I can see downstairs into the playroom from the entrance so I stand there and wait for the child so I can take them right down to join the group. What I envisioned is the parents signing in, giving a quick hug and kiss, then walking out the door leaving the child to take their own coat and shoes off or letting me do it if they're not yet able to. In reality, each parent is slooowly taking off all their things, talking for like 5 minutes, giving 100 hugs and kisses, etc. Meanwhile I'm just standing there doing NOTHING, and just feeling so weird watching all of this and wanting to get back to the group. I have tried having the parents bring them down to me, but I had problems with the kids running around upstairs and parents walking on my new carpet with their shoes on. What are you doing during drop offs? How can I make this so I'm not just standing there looking dumb?
Ariana 10:49 AM 11-11-2015
This is EXACTLY my situation as well! I just make small talk for the most part. Sometimes if it is dragging on too long I will take the child by the hand and start leading them away saying "ok bye bye mommy see you later" or I will say "ok jimmy go on and play" and usually the kid will start running for the stairs.
daycarediva 10:50 AM 11-11-2015
Can you send out a note home and say that to keep adequate supervision, drop offs need to be short and sweet so that we can rejoin the group downstairs as quickly as possible. Please say goodbyes outside, etc.

THEN, I would follow it up. I would COMPLETELY take over the second they walked in the door (and this is what I do) "Oh hello DCG! How are you this morning. Don't you look cute in your boots. Here let me help you get these off and we can go do X, Y, Z." If a parent awkwardly lingers I say "Thanks DCM, I'll take it from here. Have a great day!'
NeedaVaca 11:21 AM 11-11-2015
Parent's come in, give a kiss/hug and leave. I remove shoes & jackets. Goes much faster for me that way
laundrymom 11:23 AM 11-11-2015
I often say, ok. Kick mommy out. She's not cool enough to stay all day. Then I smile.
daycare 11:44 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Can you send out a note home and say that to keep adequate supervision, drop offs need to be short and sweet so that we can rejoin the group downstairs as quickly as possible. Please say goodbyes outside, etc.

THEN, I would follow it up. I would COMPLETELY take over the second they walked in the door (and this is what I do) "Oh hello DCG! How are you this morning. Don't you look cute in your boots. Here let me help you get these off and we can go do X, Y, Z." If a parent awkwardly lingers I say "Thanks DCM, I'll take it from here. Have a great day!'
I second this. I don't want parents staying and I have an open floor plan.

I ask parents to start their good-byes before they leave the car. When they come in, they sign their kid in and remind the child who will pick them up, THEN LEAVE...
Hunni Bee 11:59 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I do the same. There's a kid in another class who's mom and dad drop off together, and have to pull out chairs and sit with DCB on their laps for 5-10 minutes every morning. There's another who has to come in, list every center and who's playing there, and beg DCB pick one. Of course he says no to every one

Not in my castle.
Abigail 05:09 PM 11-11-2015
I'm the opposite. My families have the entryway to sign in and help their children take their coats and shoes off and also have to wash their hands before they leave. We started this a little over two years ago? It was in a newsletter as a reminder that everyone needs to wash hands upon arrival and that's why we serve breakfast as they arrive to eliminate an additional hand washing session. We do however have an 830 end time for serving breakfast so if they are arriving late they are not having breakfast unless we've made arrangements.

I do not have carpet in the area parents come in at so if I did I would just have to make sure they all understand to keep it clean. I have awesome parents though if they got water or snow in the hall they will most likely clean it up!
Tags:drop off issues, drop off policy, lingering, lingering parents, lingering parents - at drop off
Reply Up