Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should I Charge?
Bizzymom1111 08:39 PM 11-26-2010
I have a new mom who enrolled her 6 week old on 10-24-2010. She signed my contract which defines what hours she is reserving, and how much it will be weekly. She put her start date for 11-2-10. On 10-31-10, she called to say she would not be starting him until 12-1-10. She paid me the initial enrollment fee(25$) but then said she would bring over the deposit( which I use towards the last week of care) and I said that was fine and that the spot would be held. Well now I get another call and she doesn't think he'll be starting till January! I usually charge $75/ month to hold a spot(3 month limit) but I'm not sure what to charge her for December, because she did sign the contract, and technically she should be paying me weekly. I was really counting on that income, and I don't know if I should just charge her the $75 to hold it, or if I should require her to pay me weekly, for December.I usually charge the $75 to people who want to hold the spot but haven't signed the contract yet- maybe because they are not sure of what hours they need to reserve- but have gotten all the other paperwork ba k. This mom has a signed contract and her child was already supposed to have started, so I guess I just don't know what I should charge her. Like I said, I wasreally counting on that income, and have turned away someone with a baby who wanted to start right away.
Anyways, any ideas are so very welcome! Thanks in advance!
momofboys 05:53 AM 11-27-2010
I would definitely charge her 1/2 the normal weekly rate from the point of your signed contract date on. You have turned down clients who need you now & she keeps putting off her return date. Not fair to you at all. But I would definitely charge her something. I just had this happen to me only the mom finally after several months of putting off her return decided to stay home with baby & there I was naive as ever & had not charged her a dime to hold a spot she never was going to use. So definitely charge. If you feel the need explain to the mom that you have turned down clients b/c you thought her child was coming as of X date. KUP!
AfterSchoolMom 07:02 AM 11-27-2010
I'd charge her weekly, at least something. If the child HAD started and now wasn't coming for a month, you'd still expect to be paid, right? Tell the Mom that she owes X amount weekly until the start date, or needs to give her two weeks' notice (and pay for them) so that you can fill her spot.
safechner 09:57 AM 11-27-2010
I would charge her 1/2 rate weekly because it seems not fair to you for holding that long for her. Just emailing her to let her know that you are fine with it until Jan but she would need to pay 1/2 rate weekly until he started with you in January.
Abigail 07:27 PM 11-27-2010
Do you have anything in your policies about holding a spot? I would charge her $75 for November holding. Have they turned in their money for their last week(s) of care yet? Really, I would make sure you have that money and all signed paperwork before hand.

You should create a new contract stating the new enrollment date. If it is in your policies up to three months of holding maximum, then you should still only charge that $75 for December too. If she wants to move it back again, then she is required to pay weekly full rate or give her two-weeks pay/deposit up because you can only hold spots so long. I personally would look for another family because I don't want to hold spots if I can fill them now.
missnikki 06:49 AM 11-29-2010
I think that if your signed contract states a starting date, and she called to change it, you can be bold and charge her the rate she should have been paying, but in the interest of good business, you should contact her and offer her to come re-sign a new contract with new starting dates, and offer to hold the spot at half price. Like other posters have said, she is stringing you along and you shouldn't have to foot the bill for her indecisiveness.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by Bizzymom1111:
I have a new mom who enrolled her 6 week old on 10-24-2010. She signed my contract which defines what hours she is reserving, and how much it will be weekly. She put her start date for 11-2-10. On 10-31-10, she called to say she would not be starting him until 12-1-10. She paid me the initial enrollment fee(25$) but then said she would bring over the deposit( which I use towards the last week of care) and I said that was fine and that the spot would be held. Well now I get another call and she doesn't think he'll be starting till January! I usually charge $75/ month to hold a spot(3 month limit) but I'm not sure what to charge her for December, because she did sign the contract, and technically she should be paying me weekly. I was really counting on that income, and I don't know if I should just charge her the $75 to hold it, or if I should require her to pay me weekly, for December.I usually charge the $75 to people who want to hold the spot but haven't signed the contract yet- maybe because they are not sure of what hours they need to reserve- but have gotten all the other paperwork ba k. This mom has a signed contract and her child was already supposed to have started, so I guess I just don't know what I should charge her. Like I said, I wasreally counting on that income, and have turned away someone with a baby who wanted to start right away.
Anyways, any ideas are so very welcome! Thanks in advance!
Considering you said you hold a spot up to 3 months and its a 75 dollar holding fee and is it is in your contract she knows it and will expect to pay 75 again for December thats what I would charge her is the 75 dollar holding fee and tell her its the last time. I would NEVER hold a spot for 3 months I only hold a spot for 4 weeks thats it with a 2 week depoist.
Tags:charges, holding spot
Reply Up