Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Are Gagging Themselves Because They Don't Like Broccoli
littlemommy 09:55 AM 01-09-2012
I made a cold pasta salad that has broccoli. I encourage everyone to take at least one bite. One girl took it to the extreme and put two big bites in her mouth. Then gagged herself because she realized she didn't like it. Now she's playing chipmunk and holding it all in her cheek. The other girl has separated it from the rest of her salad and stalling to try it.

Ahhh. Lunchtime battles. Of course they'll be starving at snack time. Maybe we'll have carrots or celery.
littlemissmuffet 10:01 AM 01-09-2012
I do the whole encouraging at least one bite thing too... but if they are adamant they do not want to try I just let it go. I have one that will make himself vomit.
littlemommy 10:05 AM 01-09-2012
I can always tell lunchtime battles are worse on Monday. I'm sure these kids live on processed and fast food all weekend, so of course they aren't going to want a home cooked meal with fresh veggies from scratch!
Solandia 10:22 AM 01-09-2012
I would let it go. I LOVE broccoli, but cold in a salad makes me gag, too. The combining smells & texture...totally sets off a gag reflex. I am on the kids' side on this one.
Meeko 10:27 AM 01-09-2012
I want lunch at your house...sounds good to me!
DCMom 10:44 AM 01-09-2012
My dckids are all 'separatists' ~ they won't eat things that are mixed together. Even spaghetti and meatballs are a challenge around here!

Though I have to say, mine LOVE broccoli. As long as there is dip for it
countrymom 10:45 AM 01-09-2012
my own children don't eat any kind of pasta salade (only ceasar and garden) so I totally understand the kids not wanting it, but *I* love pasta salade. Broccoli in my house has to be cooked, with a little bit of butter and salt, hmmm the kids love that.
awestbrook713 10:58 AM 01-09-2012
Feeding the kids is one of the things I dread, everyone doesn't like at least one thing on their plate but want seconds of a certain thing, they eat whats on their plate or they wait till snack. They are told they will not get something special, I incorporate veggies, fruits and a sandwich of some sort. It drives me crazy how picky kids are today if I was like this when I was little I would have been hungry a lot.
Heidi 12:16 PM 01-09-2012
If they are really adamant about not wanting to try it, let em lick it...

Food is very intimate...it goes into your body. On the one hand, we tell children "don't let anyone touch you in a way you don't like..." then, we say "oh, but eat this.." lol
Countrygal 02:08 PM 01-09-2012
Broccoli is a hard one. Our food program in this state actually has a goal of TWO bites of a refusal food! This surprised the heck out of me! I always went with one, also....

For the raw broccoli I'd suggest maybe trying a creamy or cheesy dip? If they still refuse it, give up and keep re-offering it every couple of weeks. Eventually it won't be "new" any more. Also, broccoli cheese soup is a good introductory food for broccoli.

Broccoli is just one of "THOSE" foods.
Kaddidle Care 07:13 PM 01-09-2012
Next time try it by itself and call it "Trees" - and a little ranch dressing on the side if they want to dunk their trees a bit.

(Cauliflower is brains!)
Hunni Bee 07:56 PM 01-09-2012
We had pasta salad (with tri-color wagon-wheels!) Friday, half of them gobbled it up...the others couldn't get their heads around cold pasta .

Come on, parents, expose your kids to other foods besides chicken!!
Kaddidle Care 04:33 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We had pasta salad (with tri-color wagon-wheels!) Friday, half of them gobbled it up...the others couldn't get their heads around cold pasta .

Come on, parents, expose your kids to other foods besides chicken!!
Chicken nuggets.
littlemommy 06:26 AM 01-10-2012
The broccoli was cooked, I knew it would be even worse if it was raw!

I dread feeding the chipmunk girl. EVERY DAY she'll put a bite in her mouth and let it sit in her cheek for hours if I let her. Even if it's something she likes. It doesn't matter the texture, flavor, cooked/raw, color-it just gets shoved to the side of her mouth and she'll sit there and whine. When I encourage her to chew it up, she whines more and gags herself.

Does anyone know how to deal with this behavior? She's almost 3 and has been doing it for over a year. Mom says she does it at home, too. Do I let her sit there until she chews it up or do I swipe it onto her tongue with my finger? Usually when I do the swipe over it makes her really mad and she'll for sure gag and choke herself. I don't want to get her in the habit of spitting things out. The other kids don't need to learn that, either!
kayla 08:09 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I can always tell lunchtime battles are worse on Monday. I'm sure these kids live on processed and fast food all weekend, so of course they aren't going to want a home cooked meal with fresh veggies from scratch!
i agree one time i had a child that wouldnt eat anything i would make. I always make nice big meals one day it was baked chicken breast green beans and peaches child would not eat even a bite. I asked him what he ate at home and he proceeded to tell me mommy makes taco bell, mc donalds, and burger king, i told him mommys not making that what does she cook at home he said corn dogs... all processed foods and these people wonder why america is fat!!!
Unregistered 10:08 AM 01-12-2012
The Key to getting kids to eat vegetables is to hide them in the food. In your case, you should cut off the thick stalks, and just use the flowered part. The will look like small green seeds. I've never had a problem with my children eating the broccolis using this method.
E Daycare 06:05 AM 01-13-2012
Or after a vacation. Omg I know to plan the basics or no one eats. But even then....

Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I do the whole encouraging at least one bite thing too... but if they are adamant they do not want to try I just let it go. I have one that will make himself vomit.
Same here. One has a bad gag reflex and almost anything sets him off. I'm always soooo excited for lunch time and what will set him off for that day. I always think " oh crap I have something green/orange/yellow/steamed/baked to serve today. Someone's gonna be SO happy at lunch!". By happy I mean gaggy.

He once gagged cause the ck nuggets I made were "longer" than usual. True story.
littlemommy 06:42 AM 01-13-2012
Today we're going to have homemade pizza. I can guarantee you that no one will have trouble eating that!! I think I'll put extra veggies under the cheese and see if they notice.

The part that really bugs me is when they refuse to eat lunch, but then hear the word "snack" later that afternoon and RUN to the table. They get so excited until they see that their snack isn't going to be a package of sugar like it would be at home!
E Daycare 07:20 AM 01-13-2012
Today we're going to have homemade pizza. I can guarantee you that no one will have trouble eating that!! I think I'll put extra veggies under the cheese and see if they notice.

The part that really bugs me is when they refuse to eat lunch, but then hear the word "snack" later that afternoon and RUN to the table. They get so excited until they see that their snack isn't going to be a package of sugar like it would be at home!
We're having pita pizza here and I'm in the process of steaming veggies to purée for the sauce. I think 2 kids might eat it. No one but my kid eats anything I serve and most kids have been here 6mo to a year. I waste so much food it's disgusting.
littlemommy 07:26 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
We're having pita pizza here and I'm in the process of steaming veggies to purée for the sauce. I think 2 kids might eat it. No one but my kid eats anything I serve and most kids have been here 6mo to a year. I waste so much food it's disgusting.
I've started only giving a half serving or even just one bite at a time on their plate. If the picky ones ask for seconds they get the same amount. Half the time they beg for more and then won't even touch it. I have them try at least one bite of everything. Since I haven't been serving a full plate to each kid I've really cut back on waste
jojosmommy 07:58 AM 01-13-2012
At my house we would have broccoli in some form for snack all week. I have found even the most stubborn to be hungry by then. Plus if its offered over and over there is no getting around trying it.
countrymom 08:12 AM 01-13-2012

happens here too. But now I stand my ground. I know alot of you dont battle food, but here I do. I don't get reimbursed for my food or time, and there is no reason a child can not eat food. Yesterday I made homemade soup, its everyones favorite, I mean these kids ask for it every day. Suddenly the dcb (whos almost 4) says he doesn't eat noodles. To bad, I sat there and he ate it all. I know that this boy only eats chicken nuggets every single night or kfc for dinner. But the minute I say snack they fight over chairs, till they see its healthy stuff and then I get "i don't eat that, I don't like that, thats gross" I also believe that food plays a part in a childs developement and behavior. The same boy doesn't go to sleep till midnight and is very hyper (for mom and dad) every day. Not for me he isn't. I find when I feed him healthy stuff, he's calm, and fine. At home, he also will drink the syrup out of the fridge, eat a bag of marshmellows, and anything that is junk, and you wonder why he is so hyper.
countrymom 08:18 AM 01-13-2012
we are having pizza today too, homade on pita bread (this is my own childrens favorite) I already know that dcb won't eat it because its not nuggets or junk.
Mommy2One 09:18 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
But now I stand my ground. I know alot of you dont battle food, but here I do. I don't get reimbursed for my food or time, and there is no reason a child can not eat food. Yesterday I made homemade soup, its everyones favorite, I mean these kids ask for it every day. Suddenly the dcb (whos almost 4) says he doesn't eat noodles. To bad, I sat there and he ate it all.
I still remember, 20 years later, the evening my parents made me eat all of my salad. It was basically just iceberg lettuce and I didn't like ranch dressing. I thought the plain lettuce was disgusting and tried everything to get out of eating the cereal bowl full of it, including crying and begging. My parents wouldn't let me leave the table until every bite was gone. It ended up taking me 45 miserable minutes of sitting in the kitchen by myself to force myself to eat it all. Iceberg lettuce isn't even that nutritious and it certainly didn't teach me to like the stuff. I encourage my daughter to try at least a bite or two of everything she's offered and she does not get dessert after dinner if she doesn't eat her healthy food first but I will never force her to eat food she truly does not like/want. I also do not want her to start feeling compelled to clean her plate after she's full, which is something I still struggle with even at restaurants where I know the portions are unhealthily huge. I would be very upset if my childcare provider forced my daughter to eat something. There could have been a reason that the little boy didn't want to eat soup with noodles that day that he couldn't articulate/explain.
MissKim 09:22 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I have a puker, too! I had never seen or even heard of a kid vomiting to not eat something until dcg arrived.
E Daycare 09:27 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
we are having pizza today too, homade on pita bread (this is my own childrens favorite) I already know that dcb won't eat it because its not nuggets or junk.
Yup pita pizzas here! I used carrots and red pepper for the sauce and it was awesome. Well, awesome for my son and one other. 2 didn't even touch it.

I debated sprinkling colored sugar on it to tempt them (just kidding). Lol
melskids 09:42 AM 01-13-2012
I will NEVER EVER force a child to eat again after what I saw once. We were at a picnic for my moms church, and a dad there was forcing his son to eat ALL of his baked beans.

First off...he gave the kid more baked beans then I could even eat.

Then after making the kid eat them all, between the crying and the gagging, the kid stood up and without going into too much detail, it looked something like a tornado met the exorcist. Anyone within 20 feet of that kid wasnt safe.

It still burns my brain when i think about what i saw that day. LOL
safechner 10:01 AM 01-13-2012
Well, my husband does force our second daughter to eat her veggies. I am not saying she have to eat all of it but she would have to bite at least 4 times. She loves to eat all of her veggies. Somehow, she stopped to eat the veggies at all from last year. We believed she would see there are a lot of kids at school have junk foods in their lunch boxes. I also found out that I gave her most of veggies like celery, carrots, etc. for lunch but she traded in to someone for junk foods. I was pissed what my daughter has done. However, I didn't tell my husband about that. Our first daughter still eat a lot of veggies with no problems.
Francine 10:04 AM 01-13-2012

I made homemade pizza the other day, I cut up spinach into tiny tiny little pieces. I actually put quite a bit on it too and they still didn't notice.
Tags:lunch time
Reply Up