Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Require Meds For Teething?
Mary Poppins 09:51 AM 01-13-2012
Just curious how many of you require meds of some sort to alleviate teething?

I have one dcm who is trying to refuse to let me give her 11mo (who is teething like mad) any pain relief other than offering him a teething toy. Which isn't working. I do have in my policies that I require pain meds of some sort and I guess it will be a showdown today over this.

Anyone else require meds? If not, what are your teething policies?
AnneCordelia 09:57 AM 01-13-2012
I prefer not to give meds actually.

I've never had a baby in care, or of my own 4, who couldn't alleviate the pain of teething in another way. That said, I know that my control group is relatively small.

I just prefer not to give meds that might mask other symptoms of actual illness. My contract states that I won't give OTC meds and will only administer prescription meds when it comes labelled w/ the docs name, the baby's name, dosage instructions.
Ariana 10:01 AM 01-13-2012
I only give meds with written permission and instruction from the parents even over the counter meds.

If a parent doesn't want their child taking meds then they should be respected, however they also need to come up with something to help with the pain. Amber necklace, wooden teether, natural pain remedy etc.
Cat Herder 10:11 AM 01-13-2012
I opt out of the pain meds, too. Too much liability.

Way too many folks are overdosing, I don't want to risk being accused of it.

The liver damage caused is permanent.

Frozen bananas in a mesh bag works wonders, though.
Attached: 31CBN68XW1L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (10.1 KB) 
melskids 10:14 AM 01-13-2012
I dont use meds either.

The baby I have now loves frozen wet washcloths or a tooth brush.
Meyou 10:14 AM 01-13-2012
If a child is teething and in enough pain to need meds I think they should be home with Mom or Dad.
KEG123 11:40 AM 01-13-2012
No teething meds here either. My son was an easy teether so I never used meds. I side 100% with the mom. Give the baby a teething toy.

I honestly cannot believe you have it in your policies that you REQUIRE pain meds for teething.
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I opt out of the pain meds, too. Too much liability.

Way too many folks are overdosing, I don't want to risk being accused of it.

The liver damage caused is permanent.

Frozen bananas in a mesh bag works wonders, though.
Those little mesh bag teethers are awesome!! I love them for the teething kids. I have also used a clean frozen washcloth too.

I am another provider who does ZERO meds here. Teething may be uncomfortable for some but no one has died from it....kwim?
Meyou 12:01 PM 01-13-2012
A cold carrot is good too but only if they don't have teeth yet.
Mary Poppins 01:27 PM 01-13-2012
I should clarify that my teething policy is this:

If your child is teething, and our methods (teething rings, cold application, etc) are not working, we require that you allow us to relieve their discomfort using either a pain relieving gel, liquid pain reliever or other remedy (that you provide), or your child will not be allowed to attend.

She signed my contract and initialed my policies but fought me about having him picked up since she doesn't want meds, doesn't want cold applied, doesn't want ANYTHING but a teething ring she supplied (which doesn't help a bit - he won't even hold it).

I respect her decision but he was miserable and screaming for hours this morning which is not normal for him.
Mary Poppins 01:31 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
If a child is teething and in enough pain to need meds I think they should be home with Mom or Dad.
That's pretty much how I feel but since it isn't always possible for Moms or Dads to leave work, I will administer pain meds. My contract states clearly that by signing it they agree to allow me to do just that when all other avenues are exhausted. I TRY to be accommodating, maybe too much. I'm reconsidering giving meds at all...

Has anyone changed their policies on giving meds and how did the parents take it? I know two of my dcm's would be p*ssed if I wasn't willing to give their child Tylenol!
bice99 02:18 PM 01-13-2012
I used to have parents leave meds here for every child. But I just changed my policy to no meds except Tylenol or Motrin if for teething (with no other symptoms) and with a doctor's note stating it is needed for teething and the dosage. I figured most parents won't take the time to take their child to the dr over teething. Now I'm thinking of changing it again to no meds unless prescription and required during daycare hours. I added the hours part at the first of the year and even added an example. If meds are 3 times per day, parent must dose at home. If 4 times per day, I will administer one dose. I figure when my DDs were on antibiotics they were usually twice per day. And if 3 times, I would dose, morning, after school and bedtime, so parents can do that as well.
daycare 02:29 PM 01-13-2012
NOPE no meds here.

I will not administer any type of meds at all nada, zilch, zero. My county frowns on DCP participating in administering meds of any kind.

I don't have a medical back ground, so I don't want that responsibility/liability.

In cali alone there were more than 5 deaths that were reported from children being accidentally overdosed with medications, some were OTC.

one was an in home DCP in sac cali. she overdosed a child on benadryl.
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
That's pretty much how I feel but since it isn't always possible for Moms or Dads to leave work, I will administer pain meds. My contract states clearly that by signing it they agree to allow me to do just that when all other avenues are exhausted. I TRY to be accommodating, maybe too much. I'm reconsidering giving meds at all...

Has anyone changed their policies on giving meds and how did the parents take it? I know two of my dcm's would be p*ssed if I wasn't willing to give their child Tylenol!
Yes, I just recently went to a NO MEDS policy. I didn't let on to any of the parents that it was or wasn't part of my licensing regs. My wording was; "Due to increased liabilty, I will NO longer dispense OTC medication to any child while in my care." I gave an effective date and had parents sign and return to acknowledge my new rule.

If a child is cranky and uncomfortable there really is no guarantee that it is because of teething..ya know? We just assume it is teething a lot of the time and it could just be that the child is simply feeling cranky...

I would adopt a blanket policy that simply states that if the child is cranky and uncomfortable in any way that leads the caregiver to have to provider more care and attention than normal, the child should not attend/stay. Maybe even say that you will be called to pick up if your child if necessary.

I get that parents HAVE to work and I get that parents often have a tough time having to take unscheduled days off and all the other fun stuff that comes with parenting but that is still NOT an excuse to not do what needs to be done and that is take care of YOUR child when they need you. Period.
Tags:teething
Reply Up