Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling like a failure
logged out 04:23 PM 05-28-2012
I posted earlier this week about losing a family who couldn't follow the rules.

Well the next day a PT DCG comes in and DCM hands me an envelope. She usually puts my fee into an envelope, so I didn't think too much about it except why she was paying me a day early. Anyways, it was her 2 week notice. I have never had an issue with this family. This is the family I wish all of my DCF were like. Notice reason was: due to personal reasons....

I keep replaying the DCF I lost due to not following the rules and now this....... It almost feels like I've done something. Its hard not to take it personal and not feel some sense of failure.

I also have a DCF that mom is a teacher and she usually brings DCK once a week thru the summer. I don't charge her for the summer so the once a week thru the summer helps. Well this week she notifies me that she will bring DCK every other week.

I am starting to second guess myself in this line of work. I always take this stuff personal. I usually have a low turn over rate, but since October, I have lost 3 kids.

I should be excited that I am only working PT this summer, but I am not. Sorry to vent.
Happy Hearts 06:48 PM 05-28-2012
Due to personal reasons could mean anything... maybe she's sick and can't work and doesn't want to talk about with you. Or, she's lost her job or dad did. Or, she found someone in the family to take the child. Some people are just really private and don't want to talk about their "stuff".

Bad things really happen in threes sometimes!

I'm like you, I would take it personally too. I can't help it even though I know it isn't me sometimes, I still internalize everything. I have a sister and a friend who like to say "Who Cares, Jo, just move on" and that makes me feel so much better.

In the meantime, enjoy your little break from alot of the kiddos this summer. In this business, you're sure to get more children to care for.... they're everywhere!

Have a happy day!
SunshineMama 05:00 AM 05-29-2012
Don't get down on yourself, things happen for a reasons that we don't even know.

I am sure you are a wonderful provider Just start advertising again and keep your head up! Good things will come!
MyAngels 07:18 AM 05-29-2012
I went through this a few years ago, too. I had been in business for a long time, things were humming along nicely, and then BOOM - I lost three families within a few weeks of each other. These were families I never thought in a million years would leave, but they had their reasons and I understood them. It was still disconcerting and I found myself second guessing myself, my program, everything.

I used it as an opportunity to make some changes, bought some new equipment, did some painting and redecorating in the daycare area, and started advertising like crazy. Fortunately things turned around relatively quickly.

Keep your chin up and your smile in place, and hopefully things will get back on track for you soon .
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 05-29-2012
I take things personally too, thinking its my fault even when people's other circumstances come into play. And I have found that when one parent leaves another situation some how comes up. Last year (on my son's bday) I had two families give notice. One quit that day with no notice , and the other pulled 4 kids at once . They gave me months and months of notice. The first mom was crazy and I was glad to get rid of her, the other family was awesome to give me so much notice.

In the end I got WAY better kids, less drama, way awesome families! It all worked out and I am sure you too will make this work.

I think because we get to do things our own way we blame ourselves for every hiccup in enrollment when in reality lots of issues can affect who is seeking out (or leaving) daycare.
jokalima 03:24 PM 05-29-2012
I take things very personally to.

A couple of months ago I lost a DCG, I did not know from mom, Care 4 kids called me to confirm if the child was no longer under my care, the girl was PT so she did not come Thursday and Fridays, on Friday I think it was i got the call from Care 4 kids and I was in shock, mainly because Mom seem so happy, So I called mom she did not answer so I left her a message telling her I wanted to confirm this with her and that I wanted to talk about it with her, I also texted her. She had things at my house so I told her I did not want her to loose so many diapers and stuff that she could come get them at any time and then we could talked. She came and I was very understanding and polite with her but I also asked her the reasons, I asked her directly if it was something I had done, I explained to her that it was vital for me to know because it would help me grow in my professional life and I wanted to learn if there was something I needed to work on in order to have a better DC. She gave me her reasons, it had to do with some of my policies but not with me personally, she said that she was so sorry she had to take her out but that specific part of the policy did not agree with her.
So in other words, I would not hesitate in asking if it was something you did, I am pretty sure it wasn't but it helps to know the reason, for me it did.
Tags:feeling bad, rules
Reply Up