Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Seriously, Is This An Unreasonable Rule?
SilverSabre25 12:13 PM 08-21-2012
We don't read books with our feet.

Is this a seriously unreasonable rule? Am I being nitpicky to dislike seeing dcb put his feet all over the baby board books (the books the babies like to chew on...or hold and then suck on their hands...)?
cheerfuldom 12:15 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Is this a seriously unreasonable rule? Am I being nitpicky to dislike seeing dcb put his feet all over the baby board books (the books the babies like to chew on...or hold and then suck on their hands...)?
of course that is not unreasonable. part of our job is helping kids learn good manners...including where they can and cannot put their feet.
SilverSabre25 12:18 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
of course that is not unreasonable. part of our job is helping kids learn good manners...including where they can and cannot put their feet.
Thank you!! Not good manners...that's a great way to put it.

I think I tell dcb and dcg each at least once a day not to put their feet on toys/not to put their feet on books, etc. They always act like I'm telling them something stupid and insane like "we don't use our eyes to look at books" or something else categorically untrue.

I'm going to try using the manners line on them.
Oneluckymom 12:25 PM 08-21-2012
I have 2 child size daycare book shelves and everyday it's "C" we do not climb the bookshelves, please climb down right now"!

I wish this would stop.
cheerfuldom 12:27 PM 08-21-2012

I think I tell dcb and dcg each at least once a day not to put their feet on toys/not to put their feet on books, etc. They always act like I'm telling them something stupid and insane like "we don't use our eyes to look at books" or something else categorically untrue.

maybe its time they start losing book privileges if they cant treat the books respectfully. I would imagine they are allowed to do this at home so yeah, it would make sense that they need a lot of reminders at daycare. or make something else where they can put their foot....a hopscotch mat, roller skates for outside, etc.
My Lil' Monkeys 12:29 PM 08-21-2012

I tell one of my dck's 100 times daily to "please use our hands to read our books, not our feet" I don't think your being nitpicky at all.
Meyou 12:33 PM 08-21-2012
It's a good rule.

I don't even let them put the books on the floor. The babies drop the board books but I have the bigger kids trained to pick up our books when they see them on the floor and put them back on the baby book rails.

We read lots of books and my kids take them out and put them right back multiple times per day.
SilverSabre25 12:34 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
maybe its time they start losing book privileges if they cant treat the books respectfully. I would imagine they are allowed to do this at home so yeah, it would make sense that they need a lot of reminders at daycare. or make something else where they can put their foot....a hopscotch mat, roller skates for outside, etc.
I did just offer up that threat to dcb. His foot was inching closer to the book and I calmly said, "if I have to remind you about books and feet one more time, you won't be allowed to touch books for the rest of the week." (Sounds worse than it is...he's only here tomorrow and off the rest). He pursed his lips at me and gave me the most belligerent look. Then I came and posted the question. :P when they repeatedly don't listen to rules i start to question whether it's a reasonable rule...once i decide that it is, in fact, reasonable, I'll continue on with it.

Finding something else to occupy the feet is a good idea...I'll have to ruminate on that one for awhile.
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 08-21-2012
Ugh, I can't even begin to list the numerous ways in which kids "read" the books....

Makes me cringe sometimes because I spend so much on super good books and the kids act like they are disposable.

I feel your pain.
daycare 01:24 PM 08-21-2012
book are for:

holding with our hands
reading
looking at
sharing
making us laugh
fun

I don't mention any other words....drives me nuts to see the kids walk on them or put them on their heads and try to carry them around like tents on their heads....ugh
spud912 01:27 PM 08-21-2012
After months of scolding, re-directing, and teaching, I can now say that the kids don't use the books as "stepping stones," at least on most days that is .
countrymom 03:08 PM 08-21-2012
Lucky my group is good but that would drive me crazy I treasure books. I wonder if the do this because the don't have books at home, you would be amazed how many just don't have any
daycare 03:12 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
Lucky my group is good but that would drive me crazy I treasure books. I wonder if the do this because the don't have books at home, you would be amazed how many just don't have any
i was surprised to learn that several of my kids hardly have any books at home at all, yet they come dressed like they are going to the country club daily.

I buy so many books that when one is starting to go bad, i give it away. I love scholastic book club.
daycarediva 04:14 PM 08-21-2012
NO, great rule! again, it's a matter of manners! I have one dcb who loves feet. (I hate feet) LOL! He puts his feet on everything, likes to touch feet, etc. So multiple times a day I have to tell him to get his feet off of _______. "We keep our hands and FEET to ourselves!"
Unregistered 04:01 PM 12-19-2012

It's also teaching them about how to respect other peoples property and how to respect books because many children in the world would love to have books or have someone read to them. Teaching children to respect books also helps them understand the importance of literature/education early on. I also think this is why young children tend to color or scribble in books because they are given a coloring book but not read to and they don't understand that some books are for coloring but some books are just for reading. and you get parents who yell at their kids for coloring in an important book and they are confused because they think thats what the book is for. I think thats why instead of giving a young child the entire coloring book just take the pages out give it to them one at a time (don't let them see you do this but you can let them choose the pictures) or else they think all books are for coloring (if they see you take the pages out they will think its also for ripping out too).

All this with the manners this all can be concidered "social ettiquite" or "life skills".
Sunshine74 08:45 PM 12-19-2012
I finally got fed up of the preschoolers ripping all our books, throwing them on the floor, walking on them, etc, (especially when the toddlers do better with them) and I took all the regular books and gave them board books for a week. I gave them their books back on Monday, so we'll see how it goes.
My3cents 04:10 AM 12-20-2012

It is a great rule!

Pet Peeve of mine- disrespecting books. I have three book shelves of books and three buckets with books.

It is a work in progress a never ending work I am afraid to get them to care for my books.

I agree some kids have no books at home. I try to give books for Birthdays and Christmas

My kids love books and parents are amazed that they have a love for books and actually sit and read them at home and ask the parents to read to them

Flip books- Why oh why.... do kids feel the need to rip them. I avoid these type of books but they are so much fun and enjoyed until the one child comes along and rips them out

don't put your feet on my books and we don't use them as blocks or stepping stones.
KEG123 07:13 AM 12-20-2012
One of my pet peeves! When they put their feet on my toys. Books, cars, anything that is not meant to be stepped on!
MNMommy2 12:11 PM 12-20-2012
Ooh, feet on the toys and books drives me CRAZY! They get it eventually...
LK5kids 12:37 PM 12-20-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
It's a good rule.

I don't even let them put the books on the floor. The babies drop the board books but I have the bigger kids trained to pick up our books when they see them on the floor and put them back on the baby book rails.

We read lots of books and my kids take them out and put them right back multiple times per day.
Same here....books are always required to be put back (except when babies leave them).

Yes, I've always required respect for books...never used as construction material or stepping stones. I stopped in at a fcccenter once and they were building with books....oh, that hurt my heart But that provider didn't mind and it worked for her.
Tags:rules
Reply Up