Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another One of 'Those' Need Care Emails...
Nisaryn 08:51 PM 11-04-2015
This was on my local FB page, another example of how the military families around here expect you to take less money and, as one told me, "you're not patriotic if you ask for more",

"Twin boys 2 years and an infant just turned 5 months. I go to school now 4 days a week and I am back in _____ by 2:30pm and would need a sitter by 8:30 in the morning. I can afford $500 a month. I can discuss more in detail if you call me back at _____."

3 kids for $500? NO!
MarinaVanessa 11:24 PM 11-04-2015
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I charge more a month for ONE kid
LysesKids 03:42 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
This was on my local FB page, another example of how the military families around here expect you to take less money and, as one told me, "you're not patriotic if you ask for more",

"Twin boys 2 years and an infant just turned 5 months. I go to school now 4 days a week and I am back in _____ by 2:30pm and would need a sitter by 8:30 in the morning. I can afford $500 a month. I can discuss more in detail if you call me back at _____."

3 kids for $500? NO!
I grew up in a Military family & my parents would never have suggested anyone take less for their childcare services lol. And I thought some of the CL ads here were bad. I can top yours though... we have one gal here needs care for 45 hrs week for 2 kids & refuses to pay even 100 week IN HER OWN HOME no less
284878 04:48 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I grew up in a Military family & my parents would never have suggested anyone take less for their childcare services lol. And I thought some of the CL ads here were bad. I can top yours though... we have one gal here needs care for 45 hrs week for 2 kids & refuses to pay even 100 week IN HER OWN HOME no less
Got an even better one. Woman wanted a sitter for a baby and toddler for 12 to 13 hours a day, (she would provide meals but needed the sitter to pickup the kids and bring them back) for $70. she found a day care a few months later it got closed down for being over full. So she posted again, asking for a sitter, this time it was for 10+ hours and $60. A person responded asking about supplies and she said that she would give the sitter her food card. (Hmm sharing food is not legal)
No worries not just anyone can be this sitter/taxi driver/ personal shopper for unknown amount of time with little pay / gas money but you must. Pass a background check with dhs. Not to mention that. Watching kids in your home with out a license is against the law. So you risk being fined.
LysesKids 05:09 AM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
Got an even better one. Woman wanted a sitter for a baby and toddler for 12 to 13 hours a day, (she would provide meals but needed the sitter to pickup the kids and bring them back) for $70. she found a day care a few months later it got closed down for being over full. So she posted again, asking for a sitter, this time it was for 10+ hours and $60. A person responded asking about supplies and she said that she would give the sitter her food card. (Hmm sharing food is not legal)
No worries not just anyone can be this sitter/taxi driver/ personal shopper for unknown amount of time with little pay / gas money but you must. Pass a background check with dhs. Not to mention that. Watching kids in your home with out a license is against the law. So you risk being fined.
I hear that

My lady has security cameras all over & apparently can't get anyone to stick around for more than a week...Geez I wonder why, not only are you watching the sitter, you pay diddly squat for nanny care ( which is illegal)
Controlled Chaos 09:41 AM 11-05-2015
I got an email looking for full time care for a 4 month old for $400 a month. I directed them to apu for childcare subsidies. There are services if that's truly all you can afford. If they're just cheap then too bad.
Baby Beluga 10:59 AM 11-05-2015
I saw this gem in a buy/sell group a couple of days ago:

"ISO a babysitter that could work with me. I need someone who has a background with kids and could work with price and days. I work five days a week from 10am to 7pm. So the times I would need someone would be from 9am to around 8pm and it would only be every other week. I am a single mom and don't have much bt can work with $100 a month. Please PM me so we can meet up and speak. Thanks."
Hunni Bee 11:22 AM 11-05-2015
I paid almost as much for my one kid for three days a week WITH a 50% discount.

I did the math...that is $1.63 per hour per kid for what pretty much amounts to 3 babies. Nooooooooooope.
Preschool/daycare teacher 09:02 PM 11-05-2015
I saw one the other day with a bunch of "musts". "It must be a home daycare, you must watch them these hours, you must be located in this specific area of the town" (there's one daycare in that area she mentioned, and it's a big daycare center, which she didn't want), "I must be able to claim on my taxes"...etc. And the best: "You must have your own backup in place in case you get sick". So basically I get the impression she wants to call all the shots for a licensed home daycare. Obviously any provider she brings her children to should be counting that income on their taxes, but that's a given for a licensed home daycare. I was also thinking, "Do you realize that home daycare means IN THE PROVIDER'S HOME. And that most home daycare providers who meet the "musts" you listed would be the only one providing care for your child, so back up care would be your responsibility to find?" I mean, if the provider is sick and contagious, would she really want her child in that house, even with a different provider that day, where they could still very easily catch what the provider has?
Oh, and the rate she wanted to pay for ten hours of care in a licensed home daycare was crazy. About half of the going rate around here. I figure she won't be finding daycare for awhile.
Ariana 06:34 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I saw this gem in a buy/sell group a couple of days ago:

"ISO a babysitter that could work with me. I need someone who has a background with kids and could work with price and days. I work five days a week from 10am to 7pm. So the times I would need someone would be from 9am to around 8pm and it would only be every other week. I am a single mom and don't have much bt can work with $100 a month. Please PM me so we can meet up and speak. Thanks."

Why does she only work every other week? Why can she only afford $100 a month if she works 11 hours a day?

Such BS
Nisaryn 07:59 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I got an email looking for full time care for a 4 month old for $400 a month. I directed them to apu for childcare subsidies. There are services if that's truly all you can afford. If they're just cheap then too bad.
I personally know the lady....trust me, she is just being cheap. Her husband outranks mine and makes 3x his pay and she goes to school and works part-time right now and wants to move to full time but 3 kids for only $500? And one is an infant? Nope. She would actually be paying more on the military subsidy based on his rank/pay!
auntymimi 08:32 AM 11-06-2015
Now, I know that circumstances change, people fall on hard times, Whomp, Whomp. It seems to me that the cost of having multiple children are no longer taken into consideration when parents decide to bring these children into the world. I'm always hearing from private pay clients that my rates are too expensive. I charge 20$ a day for up to 10 hrs of care, and I provide all meals and snacks. This is as low as I can possibly go and still continue to provide all that I do while still complying with licensing ratios. I get parents with 3 kids, and I understand that 300$ a week is a lot of money, but jeez! You CHOSE to have 3 kids! Why would you make that decision if you weren't in a position to either stay home to care for them, or make enough money in your career to justify paying for care for the children you CHOSE to have?
momofboys 08:35 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Why does she only work every other week? Why can she only afford $100 a month if she works 11 hours a day?

Such BS
She probably shares custody with her ex - so they live with their dad the other week & he finds his own care
MyAngels 12:13 PM 11-06-2015
3 kids for $500? NO!
Surely she meant per week
Baby Beluga 12:50 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
Now, I know that circumstances change, people fall on hard times, Whomp, Whomp. It seems to me that the cost of having multiple children are no longer taken into consideration when parents decide to bring these children into the world. I'm always hearing from private pay clients that my rates are too expensive. I charge 20$ a day for up to 10 hrs of care, and I provide all meals and snacks. This is as low as I can possibly go and still continue to provide all that I do while still complying with licensing ratios. I get parents with 3 kids, and I understand that 300$ a week is a lot of money, but jeez! You CHOSE to have 3 kids! Why would you make that decision if you weren't in a position to either stay home to care for them, or make enough money in your career to justify paying for care for the children you CHOSE to have?

Nisaryn 02:03 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Surely she meant per week
As an after thought (and to give her the benefit of the doubt) I DID ask her this...nope, she meant per month. I told her, good luck.
Nisaryn 02:08 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:

Unfortunately this happens a LOT with military families...they see that their "free housing" and "free insurance" as a reason to have as many kids as they possibly can. They get used to not having to pay for their electricity or water when in base or PPV housing (and you get enough money to live off base that it usually isn't an issue either) the only bill we actually have to pay for is internet/phone pretty much everything else is covered. I know many women that have over 5 children for this very reason and their husband (or wife) stay in the military (even if they don't want to) simply because it is the ONLY way they can afford to continue taking care of them. I know some of these women (and some men) wouldn't be able to survive outside the military lifestyle if they had to actually worry about when their bills were due. After a while though, even that "extra money" you saved for your housing/bills isn't enough to pay for the care of that many children! On top that...they don't actually payed as much as people think. I made more money than my husband when I was teaching. So I can understand how some of them might feel about the cost of childcare but to ask for that much work for so little pay??? Nope, never, not happening. I'm not THAT understanding, LOL. Especially when I see you out buying your alcohol and pics of you out with your friends to dinner and buying designer clothes...I like to treat myself on occasion too but some of these women are out ALL the time spending ALL their extra income...and then complain when they have to pay for their children to be taken care of. As one said to me "School is free so why can't childcare be free?" *sigh*

I'm not saying all military families are like this, but a LOT are. My parents were dual-military, I served for 4 years and am now a military spouse and grew up with these types of people. My neighbors growing up have EIGHT kids!

Anyway, rant over!
Ariana 12:16 PM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by momofboys:
She probably shares custody with her ex - so they live with their dad the other week & he finds his own care
So she shares custody, works 11 hours a day, dad has his own care and she wants $100 a month?

Still a pile of BS
KidGrind 06:59 AM 11-10-2015
Unfortunately this happens a LOT with military families...they see that their "free housing" and "free insurance" as a reason to have as many kids as they possibly can. They get used to not having to pay for their electricity or water when in base or PPV housing (and you get enough money to live off base that it usually isn't an issue either) the only bill we actually have to pay for is internet/phone pretty much everything else is covered. I know many women that have over 5 children for this very reason and their husband (or wife) stay in the military (even if they don't want to) simply because it is the ONLY way they can afford to continue taking care of them. I know some of these women (and some men) wouldn't be able to survive outside the military lifestyle if they had to actually worry about when their bills were due. After a while though, even that "extra money" you saved for your housing/bills isn't enough to pay for the care of that many children! On top that...they don't actually payed as much as people think. I made more money than my husband when I was teaching. So I can understand how some of them might feel about the cost of childcare but to ask for that much work for so little pay??? Nope, never, not happening. I'm not THAT understanding, LOL. Especially when I see you out buying your alcohol and pics of you out with your friends to dinner and buying designer clothes...I like to treat myself on occasion too but some of these women are out ALL the time spending ALL their extra income...and then complain when they have to pay for their children to be taken care of. As one said to me "School is free so why can't childcare be free?" *sigh*

I'm not saying all military families are like this, but a LOT are. My parents were dual-military, I served for 4 years and am now a military spouse and grew up with these types of people. My neighbors growing up have EIGHT kids!

Anyway, rant over!
As a retired sailor and as an active military family I strongly disagree with the free housing. I’ve never lived anywhere free. The rates my husband and I performed as military personnel far surpassed the income and benefits we received and receive as military personnel compared to what we would’ve and can earn in the civilian sector. I am not complaining. Military life with all it’s ups and downs; sacrifices and benefits has been a good life for us. BAH is not free money.

I do agree that a lot of FREE WHATEVER or subsidized childcare does create in some military personnel and their spouses a sense of entitlement. And that entitlement has been the reason they’ve been sent right out of my door. I agree active duty can be monsters as clients. What I’ve learned is a lot of military do not understand they receive subsidized care. They are clueless to the fact that what comes out of their pockets isn’t the going rate for childcare. I’ve explained to each military client that they are receiving subsidized care. They are only paying a portion of their childcare costs. Most are shocked and even question, “Really?” I do my math and then say would you work for that amount? They all say, “No ma’am."

I gave up a lot of freedoms while serving and am a 40% disabled veteran. My husband continues to serve honorably. Everything we have including are housing and medical has been EARNED and PAID by us.

What I’ve done with the “Dealers” is when they give me I can afford to pay you $500 per month.

I reply with, “Give me a second, please. 50 hours per week times 4.043 equals 286 hours. 500 divided by 286 equals 1.74. Ma’am I don’t work for $1.74 per hour to care for one precious little one and I won’t for 2 or 3.”

They usually get off the phone quickly with me civilian or military.
Tags:rates, rates - too low
Reply Up