Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Behind on Shots
Unregistered 11:52 AM 10-25-2010
Im in Maryland- Im wondering how you all handle if a infant/toddler is behind on getting shots. Im thinking this childs last shots were at 6 months-he is 15 months now! Just going back through my records I realized how far behind he is. Im going to mention it to mom-but how long before I really have to step in and say "look-get his shots or he cant come"-I have to look further into regulations but all I could find glancing at naptime was only admission to care-they had to be up to date at start of care. Thanks for any info.....
ddnanny13 04:30 PM 10-25-2010
Depends on your state regs but here in MN they have to be up to date or they cant come. If they refuse to vaccinate they have to sign this county waiver. If the licensing agent shows up and you don't have up to date records, you get cited and have to post it for 3 years.
SilverSabre25 04:43 PM 10-25-2010
Look into your state's regulations. If they really, really don't say anything about staying up to date after admission, I'd personally not mention it at all. How do you know he hasn't had any shots?

If the regs do say that kids have to stay current on the vaxes, find out what kind of waiver is required to opt out of them. DON'T confront the parents in a hostile way, instead, do something like this: "Hey, I was updating my records and realized that I don't have up to date immunization records for Joey. Can you fill out this shot record for me/have your ped fill out this shot record for me, and if you're not vaxing, I need you to sign this waiver. Thanks!"

Not everyone vaccinates. It's a personal choice and NOT your place to lecture the parents in ANY way, shape, or form, or to pass judgement on them if they don't.
Live and Learn 05:30 PM 10-25-2010
Communication...talk to the parents right away....nonconfrontationally of course. If it were me and I was pregnant or thinking about getting pregnant I wouldn't provide care for a kiddo who wasn't FULLY vaccinated.
sahm2three 07:39 PM 10-25-2010
My own son isn't vaccinated past 1 year. He is 4. He reacted terribly to one of the shots, and I started doing research. My husband and I decided that the risks of the shots themselves didn't out weigh the risk of not getting them, so we have discontinued them. We may do a few that we feel may be necessary. Kids are over-vaccinated, IMO. If you are vaccinated, and your child(ren) are vaccinated, you shouldn't worry about whether or not a child in your care is or isn't. Just ask mom, and if he isn't up on his shots, as her if she would like to sign the waiver to cover yourself.
QualiTcare 07:50 PM 10-25-2010
are you SURE he doesn't have his shots or you just don't have the updated records?
MyAngels 07:59 PM 10-25-2010
I go through my records for each child once a year and often find that I don't have updated shot records. The kids are normally current, but the parent just didn't bring in an updated record. I just request a new physical that would include any updated vaccination records or a waiver form from the doctor if they don't have them. It's never been a problem yet.
QualiTcare 10:02 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I go through my records for each child once a year and often find that I don't have updated shot records. The kids are normally current, but the parent just didn't bring in an updated record. I just request a new physical that would include any updated vaccination records or a waiver form from the doctor if they don't have them. It's never been a problem yet.
that's why i asked if she was sure she had current records. i always got my children's shots, but i figure if the daycare needed records, they would tell me - and they did.
BentleysBands 03:31 AM 10-26-2010
i do not allow kids in my daycare who arent vac'd ..it poses a threat to other kids IMO..i'd ask mom, she may not have updated w/u kwim?
daysofelijah 05:04 AM 10-26-2010
I don't vaccinate my kids so I personally don't care. I do have to have the parents update every year though because my licensing checks them. So if they are behind I just note that I talked to them and they are catching them up.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
i do not allow kids in my daycare who arent vac'd ..it poses a threat to other kids IMO..i'd ask mom, she may not have updated w/u kwim?
I was always told that non-vaccinated children are not a threat to others...The non-vaccinated kids are the ones at risk, but it is a parents choice. I asked a nurse practitioner mom I had in care because I had kids who did not get imm's and that is what she told me...the non imm's are the at-risk kids...not the immunized ones.
sahm2three 08:28 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I was always told that non-vaccinated children are not a threat to others...The non-vaccinated kids are the ones at risk, but it is a parents choice. I asked a nurse practitioner mom I had in care because I had kids who did not get imm's and that is what she told me...the non imm's are the at-risk kids...not the immunized ones.
Yeah, if you are confident in your vaccinations, then why not allow them in? Isn't that admitting to them not doing what you expect them to do? It IS the unvaccinated kids that, in theory, should be the ones "at risk".
Unregistered 09:30 AM 10-26-2010
Yes I am positive he has not had his vaccinations because mom has mentioned how many times she has canceled his appts for one reason or another. Mom is just slacking very much on this child-they do vaccinate.
melissa ann 02:07 PM 10-26-2010
Before we had all these vaccainations, people were dying of TB, polio, whooping cough etc. These have all been virtually eliminated in the US. I just don't get all these people who think vaccintations are over rated, unnesscary, causes there child to get sick, or whatever. I knew of one kid who didnt' want to get a shot because they hurt so parents gave in. Crazy. My kids dont' like shots either, but I tell them it's so they don't get really sick. I also give them a hershey bar when they are done.
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes I am positive he has not had his vaccinations because mom has mentioned how many times she has canceled his appts for one reason or another. Mom is just slacking very much on this child-they do vaccinate.
If you are licensed it is YOUR job not to allow them to attend then until they have met the requirements and the requirements in my state say up-to date immunizations. Unless they conscientiously object to vaccinations and then they have to sign the paper saying so. I am required to make sure all paperwork is kept up to date and on file. If licensor comes over and he is not up to date on imms, I am the one who gets in trouble. It is my job to tell mom that she can not come until imm's are updated. If she slacks then it is her problem...she won't be able to come without ALL proper paperwork. I think the ball is in your court with this one.
sahm2three 02:36 PM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Before we had all these vaccainations, people were dying of TB, polio, whooping cough etc. These have all been virtually eliminated in the US. I just don't get all these people who think vaccintations are over rated, unnesscary, causes there child to get sick, or whatever. I knew of one kid who didnt' want to get a shot because they hurt so parents gave in. Crazy. My kids dont' like shots either, but I tell them it's so they don't get really sick. I also give them a hershey bar when they are done.
Yeah, I didn't choose not to vaccinate further because it "hurt". I did my own research.
Tags:vaccinations
Reply Up