Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Know How This Will Effect My "Numbers"?
GotKids 07:32 AM 10-28-2011
In my state your own children under 8 are counted in your ratio. My oldest son is moving home with me and bringing his infant son. Would the infant count in ratio if his father is here with him and I am not providing care?
SilverSabre25 07:39 AM 10-28-2011
You might need to call your licensor to get an answer to that one. They might interpret the rules as "children under 8 who live in your home", in which case the baby would count.
AnneCordelia 07:47 AM 10-28-2011
Where I live the baby would count. I would definitely check though!
MarinaVanessa 07:51 AM 10-28-2011
Im in CA and kids count even if an adult is here with them. My BIL lives next door on my nephew can't come over to play if I'm at max capacity even if my BIL comes over with him. You should call licensing and ask them if this applies to you too.
Cat Herder 09:22 AM 10-28-2011
Here any child living under your roof counts. Even family members who bring their kids over to play for an hour or so WHILE the parent is here with them.

I would also be required to have a background check done on DS (18+) before he could be here during daycare hours.
mismatchedsocks 09:24 AM 10-28-2011
Here, we can have friends or kids come with their parents, during daycare hours, but the rule is they need to be able to leave right away. So if my kids have friends over, they can but if I say go, they have to be able to leave and walk home, instead of waiting for a ride. Not sure about living with you, but I second the background check on DS.
Heidi 09:40 AM 10-28-2011
Im in WI, and it's the same here.

If your son were just visiting with his child for an hour or so, then he would not count, just like if you had any other visitor with thier OWN child (not another dcp).

If your son is living there with his child, then he would count in your numbers during the hours you are regulated for. Your son may be considered a "helper", depending on helper regs in your state. In that case here, the child would count in your numbers, but your son would count in your ratios (under 2 numbers).

I would call your licenser...lol
newtodaycare22 10:21 AM 10-28-2011
In MD, the child counts if they cannot leave on a moment's notice. So, if their mom or dad is here with them, they don't count.
pixsydust 10:36 AM 10-28-2011
I asked my consultant if I have a baby will it count toward my ratio. She said my baby would count toward the ratio unless my husband was here to care for the baby during DC hours. I live in Michigan though. Maybe just email your consultant to ask.
laundrymom 10:44 AM 10-28-2011
This says your child needs to be over 8 not to count. Your son is. I can't find anything saying he can't have a child there he is responsible for. It does say no more than 12 kids at a time.

All ages

(1:8) [includes provider's own children under 8 years old; no more than 2 children may be under 18 months old; additionally, there may be 2 school age children during non-school hours]

Originally Posted by GotKids:
In my state your own children under 8 are counted in your ratio. My oldest son is moving home with me and bringing his infant son. Would the infant count in ratio if his father is here with him and I am not providing care?

Meeko 10:45 AM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Here, we can have friends or kids come with their parents, during daycare hours, but the rule is they need to be able to leave right away. So if my kids have friends over, they can but if I say go, they have to be able to leave and walk home, instead of waiting for a ride. Not sure about living with you, but I second the background check on DS.
Same in Utah. My kids could have as many friends over as they liked, but if licensing showed up and were told "not my day care kids"...the extra kids must leave immediately and walk home on their own. As long as they could do that, it didn't count against ratios.

Also, as long as the parent is there with the child and you are not responsible for it...then it doesn't count. If it did, providers would never be able to do interviews during the day (I don't anyway, but I know some do) if the visiting child counted in ratios!
AmandasFCC 12:30 PM 10-28-2011
Where I am the baby would definitely count. I'd double check it with your area's licensing though,.
sharlan 01:16 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Im in CA and kids count even if an adult is here with them. My BIL lives next door on my nephew can't come over to play if I'm at max capacity even if my BIL comes over with him. You should call licensing and ask them if this applies to you too.
You may want to recheck that. Neighborhood children were at my house during my first inspection - had giant cardboard boxes from washer and dryer in the yard. She said it was fine as long as the children were able to leave under their "own power".

I asked during my last inspection if my grandson counted when his mother was home. He said not if she was in control of him and able to take him upstairs under her supervision.

I can't find anything in our regs addressing this.

To OP, call your licensing agency and ask what their regs are.
Tags:ratio
Reply Up