Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>California Vacation
nanglgrl 08:29 PM 01-05-2015
Hey ladies! I'm taking my kids (4,6 and 13) to Newport Beach the last week of January and am trying to figure out the best theme park to take them to.

I've heard from a lot of people that Disneyland is boring but most of those people haven't been there in over 10 years. When looking at SeaWorld, Universal and Disney it looks like my youngest will have the most to do at Disney because he's too short for most of the rides at the other parks.

It looks like a great week to go since the crowd prediction is very low. One of them has been to universal Orlando and Disney world so I worry that they might find the California options not as exciting from what I've been told. Then again my kids have fun anywhere and are still the types of kids that can play with sticks and rocks in the back yard for hours on end. Lol

Also, does anyone know of a place to get tickets cheaper? I've heard in the off season they are more likely to offer deals. Our hotel was booked ages ago but since then I've lost 4 dcks to universal pre-k and haven't been able to fill the spots so money is tighter than I'd hoped.

Any ideas? Advice? Free stuff to do? Anything would be awesome, I just want them to have a blast and want to enjoy time with just my kiddos for a bit before they grow up.
daycare 08:32 PM 01-05-2015
Look into a city pass
Michael 08:49 PM 01-05-2015
We've almost done them all. Universal is in LA but worth it. You might also find that Disneyland has a different smaller feel and is better personal experience. I grew up in FL with Disney World and found Disneyland more appealing. The other side of Disneyland is California Adventure which is newer and bigger. SeaWorld is fun and so is the San Diego Zoo. Never been to Legoland but it is in the area. Be careful of Newport Beaches. The big waves can come out of nowhere. I almost drowned there but the beaches are huge and wide so stay on land.
nanglgrl 09:04 PM 01-05-2015
Thank you daycare, I did but those are REALLY more than our budget!

Thank you for the advice Michael! I would have never known that about the waves but now in sure to freak out lol. Is there a good (kid friendly) beach within an hour? I always do a lot of research before trips but have found the best tips come from the locals. I don't know if the kids will want to go in the water being the temps are only supposed to be in the 60's but we're from iowa and having a big snow storm currently so it might seem warm enough.
daycare 09:18 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Thank you daycare, I did but those are REALLY more than our budget!

Thank you for the advice Michael! I would have never known that about the waves but now in sure to freak out lol. Is there a good (kid friendly) beach within an hour? I always do a lot of research before trips but have found the best tips come from the locals. I don't know if the kids will want to go in the water being the temps are only supposed to be in the 60's but we're from iowa and having a big snow storm currently so it might seem warm enough.
Seal beach or sunset beach are not as aggressive.

Very short distance to Huntington beach. Going south next is Newport.

Where do you plan to go I can name some beaches. I lived most of my life in so Cali beach
daycare 09:19 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
We've almost done them all. Universal is in LA but worth it. You might also find that Disneyland has a different smaller feel and is better personal experience. I grew up in FL with Disney World and found Disneyland more appealing. The other side of Disneyland is California Adventure which is newer and bigger. SeaWorld is fun and so is the San Diego Zoo. Never been to Legoland but it is in the area. Be careful of Newport Beaches. The big waves can come out of nowhere. I almost drowned there but the beaches are huge and wide so stay on land.
When I was 20 i almost drown in HB. I got knocked down by the under tow and could not get back up. I can't swim at the time.. Everyone way over reacted and I didn't step foot in the water for years due to the fear of everything.
Michael 02:30 AM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
When I was 20 i almost drown in HB. I got knocked down by the under tow and could not get back up. I can't swim at the time.. Everyone way over reacted and I didn't step foot in the water for years due to the fear of everything.
Yes, those waters can be dangerous. You are lucky. Even the big wave surfers from Hawaii can get killed at Mavericks here with their 25 foot waves. Small in comparison to Jaws in Hawaii.

I grew up with the ocean in FL surfing and am a certified diver and also go skiing on my boat. The waves that caught me at the Newport wedge were enormous. I am also negative buoyant and after three waves hammered me I could only Pogo from the bottom up to get air during the lull in between sets. Luckily the rip tide didn't take me out. I am very weary of the ocean now.

I would suggest Manhattan Beach but that is just south of LA. If you come up my way let me know we can meet up for lunch or a coffee.
Leigh 06:04 AM 01-06-2015
If you head to San Diego, I suggest spending a day at the museums at Balboa Park-Of all the things we did in California as a kid, that is the one thing that I still remember (30 years later) as being the most fun-more than Disneyland, Sea World, Universal...I was awed by my trip to those museums, and plan to take my own there when he's old enough to appreciate it.
sharlan 07:37 AM 01-06-2015
I take my kids to Corona del Mar beach every week during the summer. I park on the far right, use the sea wall to walk down to the water. The sea wall makes that area pretty protected. CdM is just south of Newport.

Knott's Berry Farm is cheaper than DL.
kathiemarie 07:58 AM 01-06-2015
I was going to suggest Knotts Berry farm also. Great kid area. If you do go you have to get the fried chicken dinner. Yummm!
Balboa is cool to. A lot of the museums have free days. You just have to check the web sites to see which ones and on what dates.
sharlan 08:10 AM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
I was going to suggest Knotts Berry farm also. Great kid area. If you do go you have to get the fried chicken dinner. Yummm!
Balboa is cool to. A lot of the museums have free days. You just have to check the web sites to see which ones and on what dates.
I wouldn't go to the restaurant for their chicken dinner. It's just not worth it, IMHO. They do have a chicken take out right next door to the restaurant. You can get the chicken and walk down to the edge of the shops and there's a little sitting area where you can eat. I do that with my dcks during the summer.
daycare 08:27 AM 01-06-2015
I took my kids to knotts this past summer...it was ok.
I agree with don't eat at the chicken house. We didn't eat there, but my cousins did and they said they waited almost an hour for the table, waited 45 minutes for their dinner and all of the food was cold and SUPER expensive.

We went to a place across the street called claim jumpers. the portions were huge and everyone shared. I was even able to get a vegan meal there.

There are so many fun things to do in so cal. Many of them don't cost a ton of money. IF you do go to the Bolsa Chica beach area, there are the wetlands there which is a nice trail that you can walk. TOns of unusual birds live there and the area has been preserved by the state so it is a sight to see.

If you do go to knotts there is also midevil times. Again I have never been, but I hear a lot of people say it is a really fun time.

There is also the wax museum there too. We did go there and had a blast. We also went roller skating and to a golf place that was pretty cool.

Since we lived down there, we used to go make a day or weekend of each "fun zone"
we went to the california science center, it was free then and we had a great time. My oldest was way into science so he really enjoyed it.

If you are going to LA area, you can go to China town, little Tokyo, Chinese theater, all free and a really fun walk. We just got small unusual snacks here and there and then had lunch in a park. Oh and of course the Observatory's Planetariu. that is one of my fav's... I also like the 3rd st prom in santa monica

if you go to san diego you can visit old town. tons of cool little shops, historic buildings to see, and another great walk and picnic area. there are a lot of free missions to see down that way too.

I could go on....lol
sharlan 08:53 AM 01-06-2015
http://californiasciencecenter.org/ - free, Endeavor tickets are $2

http://www.nhm.org/site/plan-your-visit - free the first Tuesday of the month.
nanglgrl 12:21 PM 01-06-2015
Oh my gosh, I can't thank you gals/guys enough! What an awesome wealth of information you have given me! Holy moly, now I will definitely be looking up all of these places and seeing when we can fit stuff in (the cheaper the better!).
We are staying at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach the 25-30th. We're driving there from Iowa (we like to sight see and my kids love it as well and plus planes are a pain and out of my budget!).
We plan on going to at least one national/state park either in Cali or on the way. The kids have these park passports they like to get stamps in and love to see the different landscapes/nature that we don't have in Iowa. My 6 year old really wants to see some Sequoia trees, (she's a wealth of information) anyone know of forest with them within a couple of hours? The closest I could find were 6 hours.
nanglgrl 12:43 PM 01-06-2015
We are definitely going to the science center...something I wouldn't have even known about if it wasn't for here! Thank you so, so much! Now I'm looking up all of the other stuff but as you can see I'm getting excited!
Michael 12:53 PM 01-06-2015
We are definitely going to the science center...something I wouldn't have even known about if it wasn't for here! Thank you so, so much! Now I'm looking up all of the other stuff but as you can see I'm getting excited!
The science museum in LA is a great place for the kids. Seeing the Space Shuttle was worth it alone.
earlystart 02:35 PM 01-06-2015
I'm not a fan of SeaWorld, not just because I don't want to support orcas in captivity, but because last time I went it was boring and the animal enclosures were depressing. Disneyland is fun but expensive, and I agree that there are more rides for your 4 year old. The Natural History Museum in Los Angeles is really cool for the dinosaurs: http://www.nhm.org/site/explore-exhi.../dinosaur-hall and also the life-size dioromas of lots of animals. It's also next to the California Science Center. You can look at yelp.com for all these places we're suggesting, because you can get lots of real opinions and user photos to get a feel for what it will really be like.
Ariana 04:29 PM 01-06-2015
I am not familiar with Southern California at all but we are going to Malibu in July and I heard that Knotts Berry Farm is around there too. Its an amusement park and it looks pretty fun! Of course we are doing Disney mostly because we did Disneyworld in Florida but it was so overwhelming, so packed, the rides were too scary and it was mostly about Princesses and my DD is into Cars
Michael 07:42 PM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I am not familiar with Southern California at all but we are going to Malibu in July and I heard that Knotts Berry Farm is around there too. Its an amusement park and it looks pretty fun! Of course we are doing Disney mostly because we did Disneyworld in Florida but it was so overwhelming, so packed, the rides were too scary and it was mostly about Princesses and my DD is into Cars
I live 10 miles from Mailibu. Notts is about 60 miles south near Disneyland. You daughter likes cars?
Ariana 10:54 AM 01-07-2015
I live 10 miles from Mailibu. Notts is about 60 miles south near Disneyland. You daughter likes cars?
She is obsessed with Cars! I cannot wait to see her face when we take that ride through Radiator Springs! In Florida we took her to the Art of Animation hotel to see their Cars setup and she was literally speechless! I wish we had stayed there. We are staying at the Hilton in Malibu (Agoura Hills?) and then renting a house in Anaheim. Should be fun
Michael 11:05 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
She is obsessed with Cars! I cannot wait to see her face when we take that ride through Radiator Springs! In Florida we took her to the Art of Animation hotel to see their Cars setup and she was literally speechless! I wish we had stayed there. We are staying at the Hilton in Malibu (Agoura Hills?) and then renting a house in Anaheim. Should be fun
Oh, I get it. You meant the animation "Cars". I thought she was a car buff. Agoura Hills is in my area. Say hello when you're in town.
Ariana 12:48 PM 01-07-2015
Oh, I get it. You meant the animation "Cars". I thought she was a car buff. Agoura Hills is in my area. Say hello when you're in town.
She just might be yet, especially if her grandpa has anything to do with it

I will definitely say "hi"! Make sure the weather is nice
Unregistered 06:27 AM 01-09-2015
if you go to disney make sure you check out the animation studio in california adventure( turtle talk with Crush and learn to draw disney characters ( free)
and the innoventions in disneyland (tomorrowland)
innoventions has this really cool peter pan kids bedroom where the room "comes to life" when the cast member tells the story and magical things happen, it's really neat look for a cast member to tell the story if there isn't one in there and make sure your kids set by the cannon so they can get a turn to fire it
rides are cool and all but there is so much to do there,
also get a fast pass for radiator springs early in Calif Adven. they are usually gone by 9 or 10
and you can get a fast pass for free for world of color by grizzley river run
have fun
we go just about every weekend
there is also Magic Mountain in Valencia and Mothers beach inLong Beach ( no waves at all except when a boat comes by) cute park and beach is half sand and half grass
Unregistered 07:02 AM 01-09-2015
also the Griffith Observatory is free and free parking
Knotts berry farm is a lot less money than disney and they have these meal bracelets for like $30 and you can eat all day ( one meal every 90 minutes to be exact)
also just for your info Disneyland does not make a big deal about bringing food into the park
I mean I wouldn't carry in a bucket of chicken but make some sandwiches and stick it in your bag, they search bags but they only care about weapons etc. you can bring food in
no ice chests and no wagons
find someone with a premium pass and you can get free parking and 20% off of food and merchandise
also check out Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana and LA ( tickets are not that expensive and lots of fun
As far as San diego: yea Seaworld is not as good as it used to be but they did add some cool roller coasters and you can feed dolphins and stuff ( for a fee)
Universal Studios is totally awesome!!!! If you go there make sure you go on the Transformers ride very very early ( they have a kid swap program)
( they are very strict with bringing in food)
and the Minions ride is awesome
TheGoodLife 07:12 AM 01-09-2015
No advice, but I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation!!
Tags:california, vacation - destination ideas
Reply Up