Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vomiting Because Of Teething
scorp122 05:34 AM 05-01-2015
Just curious if any one else has had a child that will vomit, right before he's about to break a tooth through. Years back, i had a little girl that did this, not with every tooth, but with some she would vomit out of nowhere and then be fine, and then we would notice a tooth break through not long after. Now, i have a little boy that vomited on sunday, was good for me all week, then last night the minute they walked through the door at his house after being picked up, he vomited and was fine after that. We think he's trying to break through a molar, has anybody else had this?
Kabob 06:00 AM 05-01-2015
Nope. I exclude for symptoms. If they vomited the night before, I wouldn't let them come to daycare as per policy. Teething and allergies tend to be contagious.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by scorp122:
Just curious if any one else has had a child that will vomit, right before he's about to break a tooth through. Years back, i had a little girl that did this, not with every tooth, but with some she would vomit out of nowhere and then be fine, and then we would notice a tooth break through not long after. Now, i have a little boy that vomited on sunday, was good for me all week, then last night the minute they walked through the door at his house after being picked up, he vomited and was fine after that. We think he's trying to break through a molar, has anybody else had this?
Never had a child have those symptoms before, although I've had a few parents think so.....

However, like Kabob I exclude for symptoms not causes so if they vomit here, they are excluded from care for either 24 or 48 hours depending.

My illness policy also lists "teething" as something I exclude for so I don't get that excuse much.

Interesting connection though between teething and vomiting. I've just never had a kid that did that.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-...d-vomiting.htm
childcaremom 08:07 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Nope. I exclude for symptoms. If they vomited the night before, I wouldn't let them come to daycare as per policy. Teething and allergies tend to be contagious.
I am the same. Exclude for symptoms.

I let parents know this at interviews, telling them this exact scenario. That while they *think* it might be teething, that I will exclude for the symptom nonetheless.

And no, I've never had that with a child.
Turquoise14 09:04 AM 05-01-2015
I've had someone try to pass off vomiting and diarrhea etc. as teething, but teething doesn't tend to end up being contagious.
jenboo 10:33 AM 05-01-2015
I have definitely heard this before... The excess drool they swallow causes their stomach to become upset.
But, I would still exclude.
Kabob 10:47 AM 05-01-2015
I also had parents argue that I shouldn't exclude for fever if it is caused by an ear infection because that isn't contagious. I told them that attitude is contagious as a crabby child makes for a crabby group. Also, fever is not something to mess around with as I don't give meds here and a spike in fever can easily lead to complications like seizures in young children which equals an ambulance bill for the parents. The parents quit arguing after I mentioned ambulance bill.

So, I learned to say "I exclude for symptoms." Makes it so much easier.
Tags:teething, vomiting
Reply Up