Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Class
Unregistered 11:20 AM 03-02-2017
I have classes coming up in the evenings one day a week
For the next six weeks. I close at 6 pm how do you handle it? Would you put a note out to parents to have their children picked up by a certain time on the days you have class? I need time to clean up the daycare clean myself up a bit and have time to drive to class. Class starts at 6:30. What do you do on evenings you have class?
Baby Beluga 11:26 AM 03-02-2017
Will you have to close early to attend classes or will you close at your normal time?

I am "technically" open until 5 although my last family leaves at 4:30pm. This month is incredibly busy appointment wise so I sent out a letter to families letting them know for the month of March I am not available for extended days and children must be picked up no later than their contracted pick up time.

This allowed me to schedule appointments after hours without disrupting the DCP's schedules and avoiding early closures.
Pestle 12:09 PM 03-02-2017
If your families typically don't arrive for pick up until 6, I'd ask each family individually if earlier pick up was possible on day X for the duration of the class.

If not, I'd notify everybody that on X night, late pick up would result in more severe consequences (maybe I'd bump the late fee up to $5/minute, or say I'd put families out of the day care on day X if they were ever late for pick up that day, or something else terrifyingly dire). If your problem is families lingering, you need to have a discussion with all of them ASAP and get that behavior changed.

I tidy throughout the day, so it takes maybe 20 min to get everything prepped for the following day. I'd leave that until I get home or until the next morning. Beyond that--I'd pack myself a meal the previous night, and just mop off my face and re-comb my hair before taking off for class. But I'm low-maintenance to the extreme--no makeup, no hair products except for shampoo, dress-down everywhere including church. My official motto is:

I only shave my legs for funerals
Josiegirl 03:47 PM 03-02-2017
I'll be kind of in the same boat during April and May; every other Tuesday I'll have classes from 5:30-8:30. My hours are typically 7-5 so I'm going to send a newsletter home Monday, listing all the days I'll be closing at 4:30. If they complain I'll just tell them 'the state made me do it'. Then I'll keep a list posted right by the exit to remind them. Parents do tend to forget. Yes, really. I know it's hard to believe.
daycarediva 09:32 AM 03-03-2017
I just send a note that due to ongoing training classes I will be closing at X time on X dates.

I would do all my clean up during the day, or what I do (already) is put the kids at the table with an activity and clean around them.
Mad_Pistachio 12:39 PM 03-04-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have classes coming up in the evenings one day a week
For the next six weeks. I close at 6 pm how do you handle it? Would you put a note out to parents to have their children picked up by a certain time on the days you have class? I need time to clean up the daycare clean myself up a bit and have time to drive to class. Class starts at 6:30. What do you do on evenings you have class?
try figuring out how long it takes you to get there, how long it takes for you to get ready, and close early enough for all of that the # of times a week you have a class.
for 6 weeks, they can handle it.
Reply Up