Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Different People Watching My Baby Each Day?
Unregistered 08:36 AM 01-22-2013
Hey, new users and new Dad here.

Our baby (5 months now) is in a local daycare center, and he seems to be doing fine with it. However, the financial burden for 5 days a week is quite...burdensome.

We're arranging a new situation where I do daycare 2 days a week, grandma watching 1 day a week, and a friend with other young children watching 2 days a week.

This is much more cost effective, but I'm wondering...is it ok if someone different is caring for the baby almost every day? Do they need some kind of familiarity or consistency regarding the people they interact with during the day each day?

I'm not sure, and I had a hard time searching google for this question. I came here to see if anyone has any insights or experience!

Thanks!
daycare 08:42 AM 01-22-2013
I understand that money is an issue....BUT

Yes you are correct infants and children both need to have consistency. They thrive and learn when they have it. Without it the child

I will not take a child less than 3 days a week because most kids will never adapt to my schedule, routine, get comfortable in their environment or learn well. Some kids do, most don't.
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 01-22-2013
I do think that one consistent caregiver is the ideal and best solution.

However, although ONE caregiver is ideal, I fully understand that is not always possible and that families need to do what they need to do to make ends meet.

If I were in your shoes what I WOULD do is make extra sure that your child has a consistent daily routine no matter which caregiver is minding them.

The more consistent the feeding, napping and play schedule is the easier your baby will adapt and adjust to the different caregivers.

As long as a caregiver is responsive, respectful and consistent, the baby will thrive.
jenn 09:18 AM 01-22-2013
I have a daycare girl that started with me at 4 months. She is now 13 months. She is with me Mon-Wed, with Grandma Thurs & Friday, and with parents over the weekend. She had no problems with this, but we were all very careful to follow a similar schedule for her. Her eating and sleeping schedule is the same no matter where she is. She is very bonded with all of her caregivers and is a very happy girl.
cheerfuldom 09:52 AM 01-22-2013
In my opinion, this is a very bad idea. I am assuming that the remaining two days mom and dad will be taking care of baby together? that is basically four child care scenarios. It is rare that I see a child under a year that can handle more than 2 caregivers. even if the schedule is the same, the environments and people are different and that can be very upsetting to a child. have you considered a licensed home daycare? you and mom can take care of baby 4 days a week and then send to daycare 3 days.
itlw8 11:04 AM 01-22-2013
It will be fine. even now in a center she would likely have 3 or 4 different care givers during the week. The person that opens does not close and they do not always have the same 4 babies every day.

Then main thing is it will be the same routine every week. Do have everyone try to so things pretty much the same. Do not have one person hold baby all day unless everyone can do it.
MyAngels 01:31 PM 01-22-2013
So you've got family caring for your baby all but 2 days per week - that sounds wonderful to me.

I take care of my granddaughter 3 days per week, and her other grandma comes to her house one day per week and she's doing great. Any time a child can spend more time with their family it's a good thing, IMHO. Much better than a daycare center, definitely.
Bkind 02:09 PM 01-22-2013
consistency is important I have 5yr old that had to leave per school and just do daycare all day transitioning is hard flip flopping here there and everywhere plus no-one may take the time with ur child to teach important aspects like sharing, caring, independence, b/c it could b o well would have to deal with that again for awhile that's why i don take any child less than 3 days a week and that is rare not in 3yrs now I agree being with family is nice but consistency is key and other children being around make a big difference in a youngsters life plus like my son I never put him in daycare till pre-k and he was sicker than my other children who grow up in childcare when he first went to school, and kids love being with kids
Willow 04:25 PM 01-22-2013
If it's going to mean the difference between putting groceries on the table - you do what you need to do.

*However*

If it's going to mean the difference between getting several extra cable channels - I don't believe the sacrifice of consistency would be worth it. Most kiddos struggle, in a multitude of ways, if they don't have one consistent caregiver.

Scrutinize your priorities and the effect your decision is bound to have on your child and then make the best decision you can keeping both in mind.
Familycare71 07:11 PM 01-22-2013
I think family is best when it can work...
Like others said just have a schedule everyone works from and baby should be fine. I have had infants here two days a week and as long as everyone is on the same page it has worked- I also had one that it didn't- he was held constantly by one care giver and never laid down for nap etc ... He would be miserable here with me because I don't do that and I didn't have him enough to learn.
I think the fact you are researching it shows you will follow thru with all providers and its great baby is home with you so much!
KnoxMom 07:11 PM 01-22-2013
I would consider an in-home child care center 3 days a week with you keeping the remaining days. This will be a bit lighter on the pocket and you won't have the shift rotation/turnover that comes with a larger center. Keep a high priority on maintaining the same schedule; an infant will thrive on consistency and be able to build stronger, meaningful bonds when there aren't so many people involved. Good luck and congrats, new dad!
CozyHome 09:30 PM 01-25-2013
It isn't always about money for us, at least for some of us. I love it that you Dad, are spending time with your child because I have a little girl who cries for her MommyDaddy every morning. And I started my daycare in the first place for one of my grandsons. However, we home daycare providers want to have a happy, contented group. If you have a happy little child who is doing well wherever he goes, great! If not, then find the dynamic and family/daycare ratio that works well.
Unregistered 09:05 PM 01-26-2013
being home with dad, grandma and a family friend is much more preferable than being at daycare. There are substitutes and floaters in centers so know consistency is not always there in a center either.
Reply Up