Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SA kids
sharlan 10:17 AM 08-28-2017
Those that have school aged kids, do you give them a once over before school checking their hair, face, shoes tied, and pants fitting?
hwichlaz 10:28 AM 08-28-2017
I don't see if their clothes fit. That's up to their parents. SA is too old for me to dress. I make sure they run a comb through their hair and wash breakfast off of their faces, then push them out the door to the bus.
LysesKids 11:05 AM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I don't see if their clothes fit. That's up to their parents. SA is too old for me to dress. I make sure they run a comb through their hair and wash breakfast off of their faces, then push them out the door to the bus.
When I took SA this is what I did... not my job to worry about anything else, however I have one DCM that still doesn't understand that the child's age doesn't match clothing size... this little one needs 18 months already by 8 months and she is still doing 12 months & under clothing. The minute he arrives I unbutton the onsie after peeling off the pants
sharlan 02:08 PM 08-28-2017
I've always taken it personally to make sure a child looks their best when going to school.

My soon to be 8 yo often comes in looking like a street urchin. I always brush her hair and put it up into a ponytail, check to see that the elastic on her pants is pulled tight enough that her pants don't fall down, buttons buttoned. I make sure her shoes are tied and her face is clean from breakfast.

I think I will start working with her to do a self check every morning, starting with her hair and ending with her shoes.
daycarediva 12:50 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've always taken it personally to make sure a child looks their best when going to school.

My soon to be 8 yo often comes in looking like a street urchin. I always brush her hair and put it up into a ponytail, check to see that the elastic on her pants is pulled tight enough that her pants don't fall down, buttons buttoned. I make sure her shoes are tied and her face is clean from breakfast.

I think I will start working with her to do a self check every morning, starting with her hair and ending with her shoes.

YES I don't do SA anymore, but this was my pet peeve. Parents bringing in a kid at 7:30, seriously NOT ready for school, needing breakfast before the bus came at 8.

I would help the child get ready and 'look their best'. Quick breakfast, hair at least brushed, clothing neat and fastened, etc.

I taught my own kids the same. Maybe it's an old school thing, but I remember my grandmother checking under our fingernails after we washed our hands, even.
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:

I always did the same (no longer do SA). I saw it as literal child care. Anything the child needs, the child gets while in my care.

I had some that I just had them bring me the school clothes and drop-off in Pj's to minimize the child being covered in drive through breakfast syrup.

IMHO, Teaching her self-help skills will help her more than pointing out the parents lack of them.
sharlan 09:19 AM 08-30-2017
I never, ever say anything about her parents to her. I would never say anything like oh mommy forgot to fix your pants, etc.

I discussed it with her in detail so she understood. I tell her "head" and she starts with her hair, teeth, shirt, pants, then shoes. She tells me what needs to be done before we leave.

She brushes her hair, then I put it up in a ponytail.

So far, so good.
DaveA 12:28 PM 08-30-2017
Not really but I'll help with wild hair, send them to wash hands or face, or help younger S/A tie shoes if they need assistance. Our bus gets here early so most school agers come within 10-15 minutes of getting on the bus.
Reply Up