Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside help
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 11:16 AM 12-11-2014
I'm off the 22-2 because I have all teacher kids. My outside toys have been on my deck for the last few years but I want to take the time I'm off to move them to the yard. It is a very very large backyard. My problem is I have a dog that has had free bathroom space out there. So I'm thinking of going out and having my oldest two kids 13/9 help me clean up all the poop and the leaves and move it down. I guess im worried about my dog peeing on these things when he goes out and then the kids playing on these items. I can easily go out and clean the other up before everyone arrives. My dog refuses to stay outside longer than he needs to so I'm not worried about him trying to hang out with us. He doesn't even get off his bed when they come in the kitchen to eat lunch. Totally lazy and uninterested. I wanted to block off half of the yard for the dog and the other half for the kids but I won't have the money to do that right now. Does anyone else let their dogs have free run of the backyard mixed with the kids outside toys that can either tell me to lighten up or some other advise.
Indoorvoice 04:40 PM 12-11-2014
My dog goes out with the kids and has free reign of the yard. She pretty much leaves the kids and their toys alone since I don't really give her access to the kids while we're inside. I clean up any poop in the yard in the morning before the kids get there and then there might be one or two that I need to clean up when we go all go outside together but all in all, it's pretty manageable.
momofsix 06:14 AM 12-12-2014
Our dog has free reign of the yard. The kids know to stay on the cement and woodchip areas while I check the grass for poop. Never been a problem.
Kimskiddos 06:22 AM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
My dog goes out with the kids and has free reign of the yard. She pretty much leaves the kids and their toys alone since I don't really give her access to the kids while we're inside. I clean up any poop in the yard in the morning before the kids get there and then there might be one or two that I need to clean up when we go all go outside together but all in all, it's pretty manageable.
This is exactly how it is with my little dog too! Except I scoop right when we all head outside. Do a lap around the yard to clean (done daily, dogs very predictable) and we are good to go. If I should miss any (very rare) the kiddos are really good about hollering "Ms. Kim dog poop!" LOL
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 09:22 AM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
This is exactly how it is with my little dog too! Except I scoop right when we all head outside. Do a lap around the yard to clean (done daily, dogs very predictable) and we are good to go. If I should miss any (very rare) the kiddos are really good about hollering "Ms. Kim dog poop!" LOL
I should have said that I have a big mastiff... I don't think the kids wouldn't see his. LOL... I am going to go out while I'm off and clean the yard up really well. He only goes out four times a day and even then I have to stand on the deck or he won't leave the deck he will just stand there and hold it. Like you said he is fairly predictble so it should be manageable once the intitial cleanup happens.
Josiegirl 10:04 AM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I clean it up first thing in the morning, as soon as it's light enough to see it. Then during the day if the dogs add to it. And yes, the kids make wonderful dog poop scouts. I even remember at Halloween time we had decorated paper bags for finding pumpkins but instead they were pretending to pick up dog poop.
melilley 10:09 AM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Our dog has free reign of the yard. The kids know to stay on the cement and woodchip areas while I check the grass for poop. Never been a problem.
Same here!
Second Home 10:39 AM 12-12-2014
You could get some pre made fence panels or cattle fencing and make a daycare play area . That way he will not be able to get close enough to pee on the stuff .

Mine are pretty good with pooping in the woods but my male will mark anything along the fence line or something new that comes into the yard . boys.
daycarediva 10:52 AM 12-12-2014
We trained our lab to go in the same spot. I had that semi-fenced off, just a hole for him to go in/out of. It was essentially an outdoor doggie litter box.

If I couldn't do that, I would fence in an area for the kids, even a short fence that the dog wouldn't have access to.
Play Care 11:16 AM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
We trained our lab to go in the same spot. I had that semi-fenced off, just a hole for him to go in/out of. It was essentially an outdoor doggie litter box.

If I couldn't do that, I would fence in an area for the kids, even a short fence that the dog wouldn't have access to.
This.
No matter how much you clean up the yard there is always a rogue dog biscuit. I actually gained a client from a well respected provider in town because mom was tired of scrapping dog doo out of sneakers.
e.j. 01:17 PM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This.
No matter how much you clean up the yard there is always a rogue dog biscuit.
When we had a dog, we kept her tied in an area separate from the kids just for liability reasons. (She was a sweet dog and wouldn't harm a flea but I just didn't want to take the risk that something could go wrong.) She had free reign of the yard once the kids went home for the day. I used to check for poop in the yard before letting the kids play but one day, I missed one. One of my dc kids was walking around the yard, lost his balance and fell into the poop. I had to clean him up and wash his clothes. The worst was having to explain to his mother what happened. If I still had a dog, I would gate or fence an area for the kids to play in and keep the dog out of there.
Crazy8 01:57 PM 12-12-2014
Originally Posted by momofsix:
When our dog was alive this is how I did it as well. While I miss our dog terribly I have to admit that's the one thing I don't miss - having to clean up the poop and a child's shoe ultimately finding the ONE little piece I missed!!
Reply Up