Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Sad...
jen 07:00 AM 02-25-2011
Fatal home daycare fire. I can't even imagine how this happened.

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...ps=1011&page=1
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 02-25-2011
Comment respectfully deleted for the family, responders and providers.

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-atta...s-3-injures-4/
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 02-25-2011
I saw this on Good Morning America this morning. SAD SAD SAD.....Preventable as well. That is what makes it even sadder!
MN Mom 07:12 AM 02-25-2011
Those poor children and families. I cannot even fathom the emotions they are all going through right now. My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone involved. This woman is going to have to live with this the rest of her life. Considering how her behavior at the scene was described, possibly years and years of psychiatric help as well.

So terribly sad :*(
nikia 07:19 AM 02-25-2011
Its so sad. I cant imagine what the parents are going through right now.

Something seems off about it to me. Like why didnt she get any of the children out, if it was a kitchen fire from her cooking how long was she in the bathroom, Just seems there are a lot of questions and it doesnt seem right to me.
jen 07:19 AM 02-25-2011
I think she did get 2 of them out...but yes, I agaree. Either that house went up in a flash or she wasn't in the bathroom. My smoke detectors go off when my teenager burns a pizza...

I just don't get it...
daycare 07:24 AM 02-25-2011
Where's catherder? We need you to post some Friday funnies now.
That made me cry.
gbcc 07:09 AM 02-25-2011
What a shame

I wonder why she was not able to get any children out? If she had too many that were not able to walk yet? It says she was 22, maybe just very young and not prepared to remain calm during an emergency? I hate to say it but it sounds more like she was maybe asleep because being in the bathroom you would hear and smell the smoke.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by gbcc:
What a shame

I wonder why she was not able to get any children out? If she had too many that were not able to walk yet? It says she was 22, maybe just very young and not prepared to remain calm during an emergency? I hate to say it but it sounds more like she was maybe asleep because being in the bathroom you would hear and smell the smoke.
It also states she was only licensed up to 6 kids and she had 7 so she was probably out of compliance with the ages and ratios as well. Perfect example of why we have rules...
dEHmom 07:28 AM 02-25-2011
1 over limit. But maybe because 1 parent was late and the child overlapped? But it states 6 in 24 hours so still breaking the rules.

Maybe she was having a smoke outside? Who knows where she truly was.

It does state 2 children were already outside, meaning she managed to get 2 out by the time rescue came.

However, I don't understand how we could know it was preventable? We don't know yet what started the fire.

AND...

It is a fact that in an emergency such as a fire, even with all the practice with children, they are hiders. Children will hide in closets, under beds, etc when they are scared. The children probably hid and that's why she couldn't find them all. The youngest ones I would've assumed would be in playpens or cribs.

Very sad.
nikia 07:35 AM 02-25-2011
In our state we have to have it mapped out for emergency exits and we have to practice every month. I set my alarms off and the kids know what to do, the newest ones cry and get a bit scared but I would rather have them be scared and cry the first few times we practice than have the alternative happen.

Do you guys have the same kind of rules in your state?
melskids 07:36 AM 02-25-2011
she may have also panicked and worried more about putting the fire out, then getting the kids out of the house.

so sad
countrymom 07:37 AM 02-25-2011
that is very sad. But what i don't understand is didn't she have a fire alarm. Even if you were in the bathroom you would be able to hear it, and where were all these children when she was in the batheroom. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Also if it started in the kitchen, what the heck was she doing in the bathroom when the burner was on, why didn't she call 911 from inside the house, didn't she have a fire extingisher. Way too many unanswered questions. Also, I find it odd that that she escaped with only smoke inhalation.
MyAngels 07:52 AM 02-25-2011
How horrible. I really hope there was no negligence on the part of the provider here. It would be bad enough to lose your child in this way, but then to find out that the provider was negligent, how tragic.

No matter what happened in this instance, this is an excellent reminder to us all that we must be religious about those fire, tornado (in my area) and emergency drills.

We have a "game" that we play once a month or so that the kids love and I think will help them remember what to do if there ever is a fire. I painted a picture of some flames on a piece of posterboard and I will put it somewhere in the house. Then the kids are to respond as if it were a real fire - what do we do? where do we go? how do we get out of the house? where do we go once we're out of the house? They are really good at adjusting their exit based on where the "fire" is.

Does anybody else have any tips on how they stay prepared?
SilverSabre25 07:59 AM 02-25-2011
It says no more than 6 under preschool age (5) so maybe one was older than that?

I have personal experience with a kitchen fire starting in an instant, but even with that (it was an oil fire) there wasn't enough smoke THAT quickly that getting out should have been hard...and it was only a one story house. There weren't stairs to contend with.

Horrible, tragic story. We'll probably never find out "the rest" though.
squareone 07:11 AM 02-25-2011
How awfully sad. I cannot even imagine being in the parents' OR the provider's shoes in a situation like this.
3kidzmama 07:45 AM 02-25-2011
How heartbreaking. I'm praying for those children, their families, and the provider.
MommyMuffin 07:56 AM 02-25-2011
Wow that is really sad. This is why I will never have more than 4 dcks. That is enough for me.

Really sad story for everyone involved.
Lilbutterflie 08:10 AM 02-25-2011
This article made me cry. So So So tragic. I hope a follow-up article is written in the future once the investigation is complete.
Crystal 11:49 AM 02-25-2011
Very sad and heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to the children and their families, as well as to the provider.

I would hope if there is ever a tragedy that other providers would leave their assumptions aside until facts are presented in the case. The provider may be completely innocent of any wrongdoing and it would be awful if her world is torn apart MORE than it already has been because the media and people around the world make assumptions that end up being unfounded.

Prayers going up..............
Tags:death at daycare, fire, home alone, leaving children alone, supervision, tata
Reply Up