Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Journals - Am I Doing It Right?
Thriftylady 05:54 AM 05-13-2016
We have started journals but not sure what I should be doing exactly. My first graders ask me how to spell every other word they want to write, and the kindy asks for more than that. We also draw pictures, but I encourage the first graders to write something. I tell them to sound it out and do their best. But should I be writing down the words they ask for so they can copy them? I hesitate to do that, because with the three girls I would be doing more writing than they are!
Hunni Bee 06:29 AM 05-13-2016
I have Pre-K. We usually just have them draw a picture and dictate, and we write it down. We have them copy a few words having to do with whatever the entry is about and there are few who are starting to sound out words and write them on their own.

I feel like the first graders should be writing pretty much independently, especially at this point in the year. Maybe asking about a few words, but sounding most of them out and using inventive spelling. Maybe with you correcting it with them as you read it.

The Kindergarteners basically the same thing. More help with words, but make them write as much of it as they can without help.

I think you're doing fine. I would put give less help with writing words and focus more with content and creativity. Make them do the work
Cat Herder 07:26 AM 05-13-2016
Usborn Kids dictionaries.

Teach them to help themselves.
Cat Herder 07:33 AM 05-13-2016
Note: I still have my very first dictionary. I loved it so much. I drew and made notes in the corners and covers. It is filled with little sheets of stationary.

Back in the day it was like finding the internet for the first time.

Don't even get me started on my first set of encyclopedias.
Hunni Bee 08:00 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Note: I still have my very first dictionary. I loved it so much. I drew and made notes in the corners and covers. It is filled with little sheets of stationary.

Back in the day it was like finding the internet for the first time.

I had a scholastic kids dictionary. My mother may still have it. I loved mine too.
Mike 07:02 PM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Just recently disposed of 2 encyclopedia sets I got back in the late 70's. Wanted to keep them for memories, but too much space.
Thriftylady 07:11 AM 05-14-2016
I will look into the dictionaries. I am one of those though that still wonders how you look it up if you don't know basics how to spell it in the first place.
nothingwithoutjoy 08:43 PM 05-16-2016
I have a different approach. I take dictation from children as long as they prefer it. Right now, that includes preschoolers, kindergartener, and first grader. Kids' writing "voice" is so much more interesting and rich than their writing skill can accommodate at that age, so I prefer to continue taking dictation and let them practice handwriting/spelling skills in other ways.

Here's an interesting post that better explains it (part of a series on dictation).

My kindergartener and first grader sometimes prefer to do their own entries, but dictate probably 90% of them. Then they add drawings and sometimes labels on the drawings.
Tags:journal
Reply Up