Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting Newborns-Age?
greenhouse 09:34 AM 01-10-2012
Doesn't a newborn have to be 8 weeks before starting day care? I just had a really super phone interview with a woman, but she needs care starting at 4 weeks old. (She's currently pregnant) If it was full time I would decline, but it's p/t with a mid-day pick up.
laundrymom 09:36 AM 01-10-2012
I've taken way younger than 4 weeks.
Blackcat31 09:41 AM 01-10-2012
Youngest I have had in care has been 4 days old. My license actually says 6 weeks to 10 years though so we had to get special permission. I would think that each state varies.
greenhouse 09:46 AM 01-10-2012
4 days?? Didn't mom need recovery time? I was still in the hospital 4 days later :/
DCMom 09:51 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Youngest I have had in care has been 4 days old. My license actually says 6 weeks to 10 years though so we had to get special permission. I would think that each state varies.

I was afraid of my own kids at 4 days old, let alone a dcbaby! Kudos to you!

6 weeks is the youngest I can accept them (per licensing); but I prefer closer to 3 months old.
mismatchedsocks 09:55 AM 01-10-2012
My license is for birth on. I made this because I had a mom have to go back to work after 2 weeks. To me, a 2 week old and a 8 week old are pretty much the same...and with starting at 2 weeks, they can get used to you faster, have a strong bond, etc. SIDS is always a thought in my head for anyone under age 1, so in a perfect world i would want them to be 1!
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
4 days?? Didn't mom need recovery time? I was still in the hospital 4 days later :/
Originally Posted by DCMom:

I was afraid of my own kids at 4 days old, let alone a dcbaby! Kudos to you!

6 weeks is the youngest I can accept them (per licensing); but I prefer closer to 3 months old.
I know right?!? Mom had the baby on Thursday evening and I had her in care on Monday morning. She was a single mom and had zero family here in town and 2 other DD's age 2 and 4.

Long story short, this was a mom who single-handedly changed my views on parenting, daycare relationships with families and life in general..... (think mental illness).

Let's just say, everyone involved knew the baby was safer coming to child care right away than not. FWIW~ Mom no longer has custody of any of her children.

I am pretty picky now of what age I take. Since I stopped taking any SA'ers, I have a re-newed love of babies but still hesitate at anyone under 9 months or so. I currently have a high needs baby (age 6 months) and only kept him because of the awesome schedule mom has..
kidkair 01:15 PM 01-10-2012
I honestly haven't had any luck with kids under 10 months. I've had plenty of interviews and such but under 10 months they just don't stick around or come at all. I've had interviews with under 10 months and they have come back when the kid is over 10 months and sign on then. I do have two expectant mothers right now so even though I have very limited baby experience they both trust me to take care of two 4 month olds at the same time. At least the babies will be 4 months rather than 4 days!
Tags:infant care, new born
Reply Up