Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Dang it"
Baby Beluga 08:20 AM 10-15-2015
Three year old DCK keeps saying "dang it" am I unreasonable for thinking this is inappropriate?
finsup 08:26 AM 10-15-2015
Nope. I wouldn't be OK with it either. Of course there are worse things but I still don't like it or would allow kids to say it.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:38 AM 10-15-2015
It's up to you what's appropriate in your home. Many of my kids say "oh, my God," which is ok in their families, but isn't ok to me. I tell them that I don't want it said in my home, but try not to shame them for saying it, as there's nothing wrong with it in their home.
Rockgirl 09:44 AM 10-15-2015
I don't really mind 'dang it' here, but your house, your rules. Sometimes just saying something like 'Aww, pickles!' after they say something inappropriate will get them saying it instead.
finsup 09:45 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
It's up to you what's appropriate in your home. Many of my kids say "oh, my God," which is ok in their families, but isn't ok to me. I tell them that I don't want it said in my home, but try not to shame them for saying it, as there's nothing wrong with it in their home.
I don't allow that one either when kids use it I say "oh! Here we say, oh my goodness!" Kids have picked up on it and their parents think its really cute when they say it and end up encouraging it at home lol.
NeedaVaca 09:48 AM 10-15-2015
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, there are SO many words you can use that take the place of an "official" bad word. Darn, heck, shoot, etc I would prefer Dang over the alternative. I myself have said darn it and shoot...Can I ask what word you would suggest he use instead?
nothingwithoutjoy 10:01 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
I don't allow that one either when kids use it I say "oh! Here we say, oh my goodness!" Kids have picked up on it and their parents think its really cute when they say it and end up encouraging it at home lol.
That's my replacement, too. Or "oh, my gosh."
NeedaVaca 10:08 AM 10-15-2015
Oh my goodness or oh my gosh are also just code words for God, just like dang it is a code word. I guess I'm wondering where do we draw the line? No matter how you look at it, it's code for something else. What makes one code word more acceptable than another?
Controlled Chaos 10:20 AM 10-15-2015
I don't mind dang it. But I encouragr the use of "bummer"
finsup 10:29 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Oh my goodness or oh my gosh are also just code words for God, just like dang it is a code word. I guess I'm wondering where do we draw the line? No matter how you look at it, it's code for something else. What makes one code word more acceptable than another?
Personally I feel like having kids use "oh my goodness" is giving them a more appropriate statement the can use that doesn't take the Lord's name in vain. But some may not feel comfortable with tat either. For me, I feel like that's ok. As for the others, I don't allow "darn" "dang" "heck" etc...with those ones I just remind them that's not a word we use here.
Blackcat31 10:35 AM 10-15-2015
Whatever word you (general you) feel is or isn't appropriate is up to each of us to decide but for whatever word or phrase that is not acceptable, I like the above suggested approach to handling it.

It sets a guideline for the child to know it's not okay at your house but doesn't make them feel badly for something that may be appropriate or acceptable somewhere else.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:35 AM 10-15-2015
My son picked up "dammit" from his dad (not me I swear). Everytime he said it, I would remind him that we only use nice words, so we will say "oh man!". To this day, if my husband or I slip and say it, he will say "mommy, OH MAN!" and give me a disapproving look. It took time, but just reminding him of an alternate word helped a lot And it is your house, so you get to choose what is acceptable in your house, regardless of what he gets to do or say at home or anywhere else!
midaycare 10:35 AM 10-15-2015
I use "Oh my word!" I also use really silly things, like, "Oh pixel bunnies!" Or whatever two words I can throw together. "Oh toe jam!" If I stub my toe ...
Baby Beluga 12:48 PM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, there are SO many words you can use that take the place of an "official" bad word. Darn, heck, shoot, etc I would prefer Dang over the alternative. I myself have said darn it and shoot...Can I ask what word you would suggest he use instead?
Thanks for your opinions everyone

I prefer to say "oh man" or "oh bummer." To me "darn it" just feels sounds wrong. I don't have a logical explanation for it other then it feels and sounds wrong.
Dia 01:03 PM 10-15-2015
That's my replacement, too. Or "oh, my gosh."
I say "oh my goodness" all the time, I really didn't realize I used it so much until one of the DCP a couple of years back said "every time she says oh my goodness I think of you, it's so cute"

Fast forward to about 6 months ago I have a dcp tell me that dcg (different family) just turned 2y, said "oh my gosh" at home one day and she really didn't like it and felt it was inappropriate, to which I said, "well, in group care all the kids have different rules and different backgrounds that they come from and its next to impossible to control everything that they say all the time".......what I really thought was......sheesh if that's your biggest concern in life you've got it made......and then I thought....wait until she turns three *giggle *giggle

Point being.........."you can't please everybody, so it's really up to you"

Words are only bad if you teach them that they are....
mamamanda 01:11 PM 10-15-2015
A few of mine were using slang words that I didn't really like hearing in my home so I had the kids help me brainstorm funny phrases that are ok to take their place. Their very favorite to date is "Oh fiddlesticks." haha They loved the game and they were so excited to try out all the new terms they gave up the negative ones voluntarily.
Reply Up