Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rewards Charts Yay or Nay?
Lux 10:28 AM 04-09-2019
What has your experience been w/them? I have a lot of random stuff so I could get a prize box together but for various reason I don't really like the idea of one.
But, Have you found them helpful? Or are they kind of a waste of energy? If you use one - what primarily for?
I've currently got a 4,2, and 2 year old so too young anyway?
Cat Herder 10:44 AM 04-09-2019
I make/print them for parents to use at home as a form of family engagement for the 3-4-year-olds. Table manners, Brushing Teeth, etc.

Chuck E Cheese has great free ones that let the kids earn coins. https://www.chuckecheese.com/kids-co...ards-calendars
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 04-09-2019
Originally Posted by Lux:
What has your experience been w/them? I have a lot of random stuff so I could get a prize box together but for various reason I don't really like the idea of one.
But, Have you found them helpful? Or are they kind of a waste of energy? If you use one - what primarily for?
I've currently got a 4,2, and 2 year old so too young anyway?
Reward charts for normal every day expectations = NOPE.
Reward charts for going above and beyond type stuff = YES!!
Snowmom 12:48 PM 04-09-2019
It depends on what the intent is.

Reward for expected behavior? No.

Rebus chart w/goal? Yes.

Brag Tag? Sometimes.
Hunni Bee 10:31 AM 04-10-2019
A month ago, I would have said what Blackcat said. And I do have a sticker chart for going above and beyond.

But I have been having some whole-group problems and rewarding individual kids for doing a great job wasn't fixing it. Transitions were REALLY bad...it was taking 25-30 minutes for 10 kids to clean up and get ready to leave the room. Songs didn't help, alarms didn't help, countdowns, nothing. I had 1-2 rock stars but it didn't help us get out of the room any faster.

I introduced a money-earning system where they can only earn for doing the routine/task start to finish with no reminders. They can "buy" extra time at the most exciting activities, classroom jobs, and little treats from the treasure box. Yesterday I had all 9 kids completely cleaned up, hands washed, backpacks on and in a fairly quiet line in 5 mins.

So bring on the rewards.
Blackcat31 11:32 AM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
A month ago, I would have said what Blackcat said. And I do have a sticker chart for going above and beyond.

But I have been having some whole-group problems and rewarding individual kids for doing a great job wasn't fixing it. Transitions were REALLY bad...it was taking 25-30 minutes for 10 kids to clean up and get ready to leave the room. Songs didn't help, alarms didn't help, countdowns, nothing. I had 1-2 rock stars but it didn't help us get out of the room any faster.

I introduced a money-earning system where they can only earn for doing the routine/task start to finish with no reminders. They can "buy" extra time at the most exciting activities, classroom jobs, and little treats from the treasure box. Yesterday I had all 9 kids completely cleaned up, hands washed, backpacks on and in a fairly quiet line in 5 mins.

So bring on the rewards.
I agree that rewards can work.
temporarily

They definitely help your day run smoothly

Personally I think it teaches kids they will always be rewarded for every day expectations.

“what’s in it for me?” is so commonplace in today’s society that’s its actually kind of sad.

I have similar feelings about the idea of no winners or loser and participation awards for all.

Buuuut I get what you mean.... rewards work in your classroom and net smooth operations every day.
Depending on your role I understand how that can be a good thing.
Tags:family engagement, reward charts, reward system
Reply Up