Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Signs of a Disability
Country Kids 08:38 AM 08-02-2012
Reading some of the posts lately on people saying they have this or that and possibly relatives to made me start thinking.

Why would you think you have these disiability or a relative, etc. Also, have you been officially diagnosed with it? I guess I wouldn't say I have something unless I was diagnosed but thats just me.
itlw8 08:55 AM 08-02-2012
my oldest son is ADD and LD he was diagnosed as a child so as an adult struggling going to school again and at work he started the meds again and they helped. Now if only he could be convinced it would help his marriage if he took them on weekends also.

Looking at my dh and the troubles he had in school there is a possiblitiy it was inherited. Especially since bil middle child is ADHD she is also doing wonderfully as an adult though I do not know if she takes meds.

We were told the only way they can really tell if a child is ADD or ADHD is to try the meds if they work then likely that is it. WHy because they are a stimulant. For normal people they get hyped up or lots of energy. Because of the way the brain is wired for someone with ADHD stimulants calm them down. That is why I think my ds smokes. it really calms him down. Same with his DEW
daycarediva 11:03 AM 08-02-2012
My ODS has autism, dh has aspergers tendencies (and had trouble in school, MIL was told to bring him to a psychiatrist, etc) and YDS's both have these same tendencies (antisocial, dislike physical affection, have a hard time understanding feelings, all needed speech therapy, all talk AT you not TO you about their VERY SPECIFIC interests, etc). All of our DS's have high IQ's and all are pretty advanced (my 6 year old can balance my checkbook, without a calculator but other kids his age struggle with the monetary value of money) Ds's psychiatrist said that he would be willing to formally dx dh and the younger boys, but they aren't struggling or in need of services for them. I know how to manage it and help them grow socially, so that's why I never bothered. DD is in advanced classes and what I would call a 'loner' although she HAS lots of friends, she prefers not to hang out with them all the time. Maybe 1x a week since school got out for a couple of hours. I honestly think that ODS had these tendencies + brain damage. (preemie, in NICU, then PICU, very low sats, lots of problems from day 1). So, the opinion of the doctors is that he probably would have had a more 'mild' form of autism if not for the issues with getting oxygen saturation to the brain. He also doesnt really fit in a classification system. High IQ generally means Aspergers, but he has issues with learning, his peers with autism are way behind grade level and DS is ahead. SOCIALLY he is about 3 though. I'm rambling, you get the point.
daycarediva 11:07 AM 08-02-2012
ODS's weird interests: NFL football and Godzilla. He memorizes the entire movies and knows stat lists.
DS #2's weird interests: weather and science (we have a barometer, telescope, and he just asked for a microscope with slides of cells for his 7th birthday)
DS#3's weird interests: zombies, and trains.

^ all of that NEVER changes and borders on obsessive.

dh is a religion and history obsessor.
e.j. 11:22 AM 08-02-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Reading some of the posts lately on people saying they have this or that and possibly relatives to made me start thinking.

Why would you think you have these disiability or a relative, etc. Also, have you been officially diagnosed with it? I guess I wouldn't say I have something unless I was diagnosed but thats just me.
Well, take Asperger's or NLD for example. My son has a formal diagnosis. In doing the research to familiarize myself with both disorders, I learned that there is a familial component to both. In other words, while they haven't yet found a gene that causes it, they can see that if one member of the family has it, usually, there are other family members that have it as well. When you research the disorder and see what the symptoms/characteristics are, you begin to recognize the traits in other members of the family, including yourself if you have it, too. For example, my husband has never been formally diagnosed but he talks a lot, interrupts often and can be very literal. He handflaps now and then when he just can't control it. He describes having difficulty concentrating for any length of time. He walks with an odd gait at times and has what would be considered a hobby but it goes beyond a hobby and is more of an obsession. All of these things are hallmarks of AS. So, while he has never been diagnosed, we're 99.9% sure he also has AS since my son has it. It doesn't affect him in any way that makes him want to spend the money to be evaluated so he will probably never be diagnosed but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the disorder.

Since we knew how AS affects my son, when my nephew started to have similar issues, we suggested he be tested. Sure enough, he was diagnosed with AS, too. His sister is showing signs, too, but hasn't been evaluated yet. I'll be very surprised if she doesn't get a formal diagnosis some day.
kayla 11:33 AM 08-02-2012
i ment to post my own thread
brookeroo 07:44 PM 08-02-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
DS#3's weird interests: zombies, and trains.
I'm kind of obsessed with Zombies as well... we would get along well together!
Unregistered 05:37 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

For my DS#2 when I started noticing different behaviors at age 1 he was, very agressive, biting, pulling hair, he was constantly on the go, he would do dangerous things, he would go into a fit and bang his head so hard he would leave bruises on his forehead, he could of cared less of what punishment he got nothing bothered him, he was VERY defiant as he got older he got way worse, now I know some of these behaviors are typical of a toddler but he was just different. In kindergarden the the teacher came to me about him I took him to the doctors they gave me and the teacher a survey to fill out and I was to take it back. Well the doc said he was ADHD and was put on meds that did NOT work this went on for a year. FINALLY I decided he needed further testing so we went to a psychiatrist they tested him I also had to fill out a bunch of papers on his moods, behaviors, etc. we talked to the psychiatrist this took about 3 hours for one visit she pretty much said he is ADHD, mood disorder (NOS), and Anxiety (NOS) and she put him on the RIGHT meds we had to go every other week to make sure the meds where working and to see how things where going and he was a different child, we also went threw behavioral therpay for him and us as a family and they dignosed him with the samething Im glad we got him and us the help we needed just wish I wouldnt of waited so long.

For me, I knew when I was a teen something was off with me I was always worried, sick before school because I was so nerveous, I would lay away at night with my mind racing I didnt tell my parents about any of it. Those things left me when I stopped going to school they where gone for awhile til I had my 2nd child I finally looked for help when I didnt wana elave my house but to go to the store or to the pool in the neighborhood for fear that something would happen I was dignosed threw my regular doc with GAD Genreal Anxiety Disorder and put on meds which worked for me I did learn how to cope without them but there is times when life gets to stressful that I did need them.
Reply Up