Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would U Handle This? Did I Do The Right Thing?
momofboys 08:50 AM 09-28-2012
I watch 2 pt families. One family's child comes flexible days But they give me schedule the week before. This week i had no kids scheduled to be here on fri so I am thinking great, more time to get things done and go play somewhere alone with my 3-year old. Last night at 9 pm my cell rang and I answered as i did not recognize the number. Lo and behold it is flexible child's aunt calling and saying dcc's parents were in abind and thought aunt was watching dcc on fri when in fact she can't (no idea why aunt called, very.weird, parents handle schefule). I took a deep breath and explained that I had made plans to go somewhere with my child for the day so no, I could not watch dcc the next day. My dh was listening to te conversation and said I shouldn't have felt compelled to give a reason after all these parents pay by the day and were not scheduled to attend. I even apologized tbst I could not & dh said don't do that either. So how would you have handled things
momofboys 08:51 AM 09-28-2012
Sorry for typos, on my phone, little screen
rhymia1 08:57 AM 09-28-2012
If I understand correctly, they said they didn't need you for that day. They do NOT pay for the days they don't use? And then called at the last minute to see if you could do it?
I would be polite about it (and it sounds as if you were) and tell them that because they didn't have it scheduled you are unable to accomodate them.
It's hard not to say "I'm sorry" when you talk to clients, and I think some people feel that by saying "I'm sorry" you are taking on some of the blame (maybe that's how your husband feels?) . I use "I'm sorry" when I am letting people down gently.
I think it was just fine. Enjoy your Friday!
momofboys 09:01 AM 09-28-2012
Correct, they only pay.for the days they come.
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 09-28-2012
I would have said "I am sorry but I have plans for the day and since he wasn't scheduled already I am unable to take him. Sorry. " and left it at that.

I agree that is was weird the aunt called and not the parents but either way, I require parents to give me a schedule a week in advance and after that, not my problem.

They can ask if I can accommodate them if things come up but I won't change or cancel anything I have going on to take a child. If I can, I will, if I can't then I won't and I don't feel badly about it.

ALL jobs have schedules so you know when and for how long you are working. Child care is no different.

I also give no excuses or long drawn out explanations other than "I am sorry but I have plans." or "I can't, sorry."
littlemissmuffet 09:05 AM 09-28-2012
I would have handled the situation exactly as you did - except I wouldn't have given a reason, that's none of their business. Especially because they don't pay for days they don't come!

I do charge for 5 days a week no matter what, but even so, I rarely let kids come if a parent changes their mind after telling me they won't be here a certain day. There are lots of Fridays either I have no kids scheduled or I'm done very early in the afternoon - and I make plans for those days - and I'm not changing my plans because a parent did.
rhymia1 09:06 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would have said "I am sorry but I have plans for the day and since he wasn't scheduled already I am unable to take him. Sorry. " and left it at that.

I agree that is was weird the aunt called and not the parents but either way, I require parents to give me a schedule a week in advance and after that, not my problem.

They can ask if I can accommodate them if things come up but I won't change or cancel anything I have going on to take a child. If I can, I will, if I can't then I won't and I don't feel badly about it.

ALL jobs have schedules so you know when and for how long you are working. Child care is no different.

I also give no excuses or long drawn out explanations other than "I am sorry but I have plans."or "I can't, sorry."

Agreed. They don't need to know your personal business (just as you don't need to know what they are doing after they drop off their child) and the more you explain, the more some parents might try to push - "But you are going to mommy and me with your child? Susie loooves mommy and me and is really well behaved there!"
momofboys 09:37 AM 09-28-2012
Tks ladies for your suggestions/support - very helpful!
momofboys 09:39 AM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:

Agreed. They don't need to know your personal business (just as you don't need to know what they are doing after they drop off their child) and the more you explain, the more some parents might try to push - "But you are going to mommy and me with your child? Susie loooves mommy and me and is really well behaved there!"

LOL! I was thinking this exact thing - was maybe going to the ZOO & thought for sure the aunt would pipe up saying little Billy LOVES it & mom & dad would not care if I took him!
Mom&Provider 10:57 AM 09-28-2012
I don't think you did anything wrong. Some people give details for things and others don't. I usually do give details as well, though I am trying to get away from that since it really is none of anyones business - especially if I am not usually scheduled to watch their child that day.

Saying I'm sorry isn't taking the blame, just saying sorry you can't do it...not sorry this is my fault, just a nice way to let someone down!
Reply Up