Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suck It Up Princess?
KDC 07:36 AM 04-22-2014
So... Dcg 5 shows up today in these bad boys (red glitter ballet flats) and shows me her blister. We all want to go to the park today and the 5 yr old princess can't possibly walk ALL THE WAY TO THE PARK in those shoes. DCP's... I understand the battle of the shoes in the morning. Let her wear the glitter, but bring appropriate shoes, for outside play time... Geesh! So do I have the dcg suck it up or stay back. I'm ready with band aids?!
Attached: image.jpg (126.8 KB) 
Cradle2crayons 07:46 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
So... Dcg 5 shows up today in these bad boys (red glitter ballet flats) and shows me her blister. We all want to go to the park today and the 5 yr old princess can't possibly walk ALL THE WAY TO THE PARK in those shoes. DCP's... I understand the battle of the shoes in the morning. Let her wear the glitter, but bring appropriate shoes, for outside play time... Geesh! So do I have the dcg suck it up or stay back. I'm ready with band aids?!
I'd put bandaids where there are blisters and let her suck it up. I'd probably also let the parents know via texts that dcg has blisters and either they need to being her appropriate shoes or she will have to wear those on the walk.
llpa 07:50 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I'd put bandaids where there are blisters and let her suck it up. I'd probably also let the parents know via texts that dcg has blisters and either they need to being her appropriate shoes or she will have to wear those on the walk.
and I would tell them you will need a pair of shoes for her to keep at your place
llpa 07:53 AM 04-22-2014
and I would let mom know you'll need a pair of appropriate play shoes to stay at your house if it happens again.
SquirrellyMama 07:53 AM 04-22-2014
Absolutely use the band-aids. You need to get some of these glitter band-aids to use with glitter shoes
Attached: glitter band-aids.jpg (17.1 KB) 
SilverSabre25 08:08 AM 04-22-2014
bandaids and socks. those shoes need socks with them.
sharlan 08:14 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
bandaids and socks. those shoes need socks with them.
What happened to kids not wearing socks anymore? My 2 dcgs wear socks about 1/2 the time and when they do, they rarely match. I even gone as far as buying each one 12 pairs of matching socks for their birthdays/Christmas and they still don't even wear the same style at the same time.
SquirrellyMama 08:16 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
What happened to kids not wearing socks anymore? My 2 dcgs wear socks about 1/2 the time and when they do, they rarely match. I even gone as far as buying each one 12 pairs of matching socks for their birthdays/Christmas and they still don't even wear the same style at the same time.
A lot of kids aren't wearing matching socks right now. It seems to be the fashion of the moment.

Kelly
mema 08:23 AM 04-22-2014
Definitely band aids, socks, and a message to mom/dad about needing appropriate shoes for outside. Can she even run or climb in those?
mema 08:25 AM 04-22-2014
Must be the "in" thing. No one around here wears matching socks either. My dd wears one that goes to her calf-which she then pushes down to bunch up and one ankle sock. One is patterns with funky colors and the other is usually white or one solid color
Meyou 08:42 AM 04-22-2014
My teens wear odd socks on purpose. It's cool? I've given up sorting socks and just put them all in a basket now since there are odds all the time.

If your DCG's feet are that bad I would even go so far as to stick her in a stroller to get her there and let her go barefoot or sit once we arrived. I would be texting/calling Mom or Dad and letting them know that this is the last day you will go out of your way to deal with her foot issues and that you would be calling them to come get her or bring proper footwear the next time.
sharlan 09:30 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
A lot of kids aren't wearing matching socks right now. It seems to be the fashion of the moment.

Kelly
Fashion or laziness on the part of parents? My eldest granddaughter wears the same style of sock, but different colors. I can't imagine wearing a thick sports type sock with a thin ruffled sock.
TickleMonster 09:33 AM 04-22-2014
We ask that parents keep a pair of comfy shoes and socks for their little ones here. I also have a ton of spare sandals and tennis shoes from when my daughter was younger or from others who have donated old shoes to us that we keep handy for situations like this. I would cover the blisters with band aids and if they are really bad, maybe skip the walk today? Wouldn't want a child to be in a lot of pain.
KDC 09:47 AM 04-22-2014
There was one blister that was the problem. I used a large size band aid since slippage and coverage of the little normal size band aids don't always work. I gave her an extra pair of socks and basically had the attitude of 'suck it up, buttercup'! LOL! She did fine, until the walk home I refuse to put a 5 yr. old in a stroller. The other 5 yr. old DCK's would not like that very much and would see it as special treatment, and DCG would wear them ALL THE TIME for the chariot ride to the park !
jenn 09:48 AM 04-22-2014
I don't understand putting your child in shoes that don't fit or are not appropriate. My daughter (5) is all about glitter and sparkle and cool, but we still find things that fit and she can play in! She has on a pair of pink glitter tennis shoes right now!
I would call mom or dad and tell them that they need to bring her some appropriate shoes, or just pick her up for the day. My rules say that if you can't participate in regular activities, you need to go home. To me, that includes being improperly dressed for activities.
SquirrellyMama 09:54 AM 04-22-2014
Fashion or laziness on the part of parents? My eldest granddaughter wears the same style of sock, but different colors. I can't imagine wearing a thick sports type sock with a thin ruffled sock.
When you said style I thought you meant color and pattern. Two different socks entirely is something I haven't seen.
NeedaVaca 09:57 AM 04-22-2014

Kelly
Little Miss Matched sells stuff like that on purpose
Attached: socks.jpg (61.7 KB) 
Meyou 10:34 AM 04-22-2014
I only suggested a stroller as a last resort if the other kids getting park time depended on getting her there or not being able to. I don't even put 2 year olds in strollers very often so I'm with you on the 5 year old. But I also wouldn't make the rest stay in when I could get her there in a stroller pretty easily as a one time thing. I also meant if her feet were beyond walking on.

Glad it all worked out for you!
Laurel 10:35 AM 04-22-2014

Kelly

My granddaughter is 7 and quite the fashionista and told me that too.

Laurel
Laurel 10:40 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Little Miss Matched sells stuff like that on purpose
I like the style. You don't have to worry about losing a mate anymore.

I also saw an expensive kiddie clothes catalog. Can't remember the name now but the prices are outrageous. All the clothes are mismatched and weird colors together. Anything goes.

Laurel
Sugar Magnolia 11:22 AM 04-22-2014
I've had blisters, band aids didn't really help, still something rubbing.and applying pressure on an already exposed wound. I'd probably skip the park today, so as to not cause further pain. If also let patents know we missed out on the park today because of those shoes. Yes, the shoes are inappropriate, but I wouldn't make the girl suffer. I'd just demand sneakers and socks from here out..
Heidi 11:29 AM 04-22-2014
If her birthday happens to be coming up, find a pair of plain easy-on tennies for her, along with some glitter-paint and other bedazzling. Then, she can have comfy AND sparkly shoes for daycare. Or, suggest that to mom, maybe?
misslori50 07:08 AM 04-24-2014
I am firm proper shoes or they dont play!!!!!!!
M&Mgal 07:49 AM 04-24-2014
I have a huge stash of extra shoes. After kids coming in rain boots, dress shoes, shoes that are too small/too big or shoes that tie (6-8 kids all with tie shoes makes getting ready to go anywhere TIME-CONSUMING) I started a stash of extras. I just keep an eye out at yard sales/used stores. Now I can just go get an extra pair out when needed
itlw8 08:33 AM 04-24-2014
You stick the bandaids on and call her parents to bring shoes and socks. next time to not let her in the door with those shoes. I would not keep the group home but since she can not walk if there is someone she could stay with then do it if no shoes before you leave.
DaisyMamma 06:29 AM 04-25-2014

Originally Posted by llpa:
and I would tell them you will need a pair of shoes for her to keep at your place
And socks.
CraftyMom 06:34 AM 04-25-2014
Wondering if talked to the parents about this?
KDC 07:29 AM 04-25-2014
**** Update

I did talk to them, they're my neighbors and they live directly across the street from us. The Dad actually said , "ok" with an eye roll "I'm sure with a band aid she was fine". I love the kids, but DCM is very controlling and DCD is kind of an A$$. So it was about as I expected. DCG is enrolling into Kindergarten next year and I'll probably only have her for 3 half days. I'll miss her, but NOT THE PARENTS!
Tags:appropriate clothing, clueless parents, shoes
Reply Up