Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reasonable Absence, Employee
daycare 09:40 AM 10-09-2012
Wanted everyone's advice on this..

I am creating an employee hand book and wanted to know what you guys feel is an acceptable amount of absences?

If I employ someone who has kids, obviously they will need to stay home to take care of their kids or will need to have back- up care.

I am worried that if the person calls in so much, then I will constantly be out an assistant which will then put me over my capacity on a daily basis.

thanks for your input
littlemissmuffet 09:52 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Wanted everyone's advice on this..

I am creating an employee hand book and wanted to know what you guys feel is an acceptable amount of absences?

If I employ someone who has kids, obviously they will need to stay home to take care of their kids or will need to have back- up care.

I am worried that if the person calls in so much, then I will constantly be out an assistant which will then put me over my capacity on a daily basis.

thanks for your input
Where I live, most businesses provide a sick day/personal day each month - or 12 per year.
daycare 09:55 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Where I live, most businesses provide a sick day/personal day each month - or 12 per year.
paid or unpaid??
rhymia1 09:57 AM 10-09-2012
For *my* assistant I would say 3 times per year. But I feel that's more then generous since she is very part time, and only works when school is in session (no holidays/vacations). But if yours was working full time/year round, more time might be appropriate.

This may sound mean, but I would empahsize that they need to have back up child care arrangments - just like any employer I am counting on my employees to be here when they are supposed to. I also hate to sound like an ogre, but I think some people view in home child care as a "hobby" or a way to make some "extra" money and do not take it seriously. This is how I make a living, so I treat it as such. I expect those I am paying to take it seriously as well.
daycare 10:00 AM 10-09-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
For *my* assistant I would say 3 times per year. But I feel that's more then generous since she is very part time, and only works when school is in session (no holidays/vacations). But if yours was working full time/year round, more time might be appropriate.

This may sound mean, but I would empahsize that they need to have back up child care arrangments - just like any employer I am counting on my employees to be here when they are supposed to. I also hate to sound like an ogre, but I think some people view in home child care as a "hobby" or a way to make some "extra" money and do not take it seriously. This is how I make a living, so I treat it as such. I expect those I am paying to take it seriously as well.
I do agree with you and do think that i need to really emphasize that this is my career, not just something that I do to turn a buck or two.

Also, I should have probably stated that all of my employees will be part time only working about 3.5-4.5 hour shifts 3 days a week....
littlemissmuffet 10:29 AM 10-09-2012
paid or unpaid??
Most companies only pay out for half of those.

Given the information and hours you provided, I personally would only allow 3 sick/personal day per year (I give myself 5) and I would have them all be unpaid (mine are paid).
rhymia1 10:29 AM 10-09-2012
I do agree with you and do think that i need to really emphasize that this is my career, not just something that I do to turn a buck or two.

Also, I should have probably stated that all of my employees will be part time only working about 3.5-4.5 hour shifts 3 days a week....
I do not offer paid time off. I can't think of any PT job where I got paid not to work. I pay my assistant well over minimum wage so it's worth their while to come in to work
cheerfuldom 10:39 AM 10-09-2012
I agree with the PP. I do not offer any paid time off for part time employees.
Reply Up