Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long........
Country Kids 11:11 AM 02-12-2018
Have you been in business and how long till you "retire" from childcare.

I have been in business 20.5 years and hoping to "retire" someday!
CityGarden 12:08 PM 02-12-2018
Wow that is impressive.

I have been in this business one year this month and plan to either retire from this business or move it into a commercial space within the next three years.

If I leave this business I would go into teaching at public school, for now I want to be home afterschool until my dd heads to high school.
e.j. 12:12 PM 02-12-2018
I've been in business for 21 years. I'm hoping to retire in about 10 years or so but much will depend on any new regulations my state decides to introduce. If it becomes mandatory for me to get a degree in ECE, for example, I may decide to close sooner than later. If I have to go back to college to earn another degree, it might as well be in a field that pays better than ECE does.
amberrose3dg 12:17 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I've been in business for 21 years. I'm hoping to retire in about 10 years or so but much will depend on any new regulations my state decides to introduce. If it becomes mandatory for me to get a degree in ECE, for example, I may decide to close sooner than later. If I have to go back to college to earn another degree, it might as well be in a field that pays better than ECE does.
Only 3 years. Honestly I'm working toward my Ph.D. I will then go into teaching grad students. I would say in 5 years or so. I'm hoping less than 5 years honestly.
storybookending 12:43 PM 02-12-2018
I’ve been open as an in home since July 2016. Worked as a nanny and at a center for about 5 years before that.

I will retire never as that seems SO far away.
Josiegirl 02:47 PM 02-12-2018
Been in business 35 years OUCH since my oldest was a year old. Turning 65 in October and that really sounds like a great retirement age but not feasible financially. So not too sure about that part.
Blackcat31 02:55 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Have you been in business and how long till you "retire" from childcare.

I have been in business 20.5 years and hoping to "retire" someday!
I've been in business for over 25 years now and have no real plans to retire. I dream of retirement of course but I don't know......sometimes this profession has me pulling my hair out and wondering WTH am I doing and other times I feel like I AM making a difference for some at least....

So hoping to retire someday as well... just not sure of when, how or why yet...
Ariana 02:58 PM 02-12-2018
I’ve been in the biz for 14 years, 8 as a home daycare provider. I really have no idea when I will stop as the only other option is working at a centre which I am not convinced is better especially with the lack of time off for vacations.
Homebody 03:10 PM 02-12-2018
Only 2 years. I hope to do this long term. After fighting rush hour traffic, and working low wage jobs for 20 years I would much rather be at home making money, and this is the first time I feel really passionate about what I'm doing.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 03:22 PM 02-12-2018
2 years last month, but only 1 year with my stuff together. The first year I was a total "SAHM watching an extra kid or two". No contracts, no set hours, basic daycare doormat.

I plan to "retire" from this when we move from this state, which is looking more like sooner rather than later due to DH's job. Then I'll most likely be homeschooling my own kiddos and trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. 1 college degree and 8 years experience in that field, two years doing this, and I still haven't a clue.
hwichlaz 04:14 PM 02-12-2018
I'm about to turn 42

I've been doing this for nearly 18 years

I'd like to move to an adult community at 55....and work part-time OUT OF THE HOUSE.
Homebody 04:35 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I'm about to turn 42

I've been doing this for nearly 18 years

I'd like to move to an adult community at 55....and work part-time OUT OF THE HOUSE.
Hey nice to meet someone on here who's my age!...I turned 42 in October.
BumbleBee 05:24 PM 02-12-2018
Been in business as an in home child care for 5.5 years. Worked in child care centers for 8 years prior to opening. Retirement I have no idea.
Unregistered 06:07 PM 02-12-2018
I am in my 30th year. Decided to keep going as long as I am taking care of my grandchildren too. Gives them kids to play with during the day.
Unregistered 06:28 PM 02-12-2018
38 years for me. Will probably go another 4 or 5 unless qris becomes mandatory and kicks me to the curb before that.
Current families are all on their first child and thinking of having more which got me thinking. I may never need to interview a family again.
HappyEverAfter 06:40 PM 02-12-2018
7 months. Total newbie, especially compared to the rest of you! I have no idea how long I’ll do this. At least the next 4-5 years. Maybe longer. As long as it makes me happy, I’ll keep doing it. 😊
MyAngels 07:29 PM 02-12-2018
If you don't count my time working at a center, 25 years for me. I thought I would stay in it until my grandkids were all in school, but since it seems my two youngest won't be having kids anytime soon I'll be too old to wait that long . Probably another 5 or so years as long as my health holds out I suppose.
DaveA 03:28 AM 02-13-2018
20+ years total for me, 12 this May in home daycare. Not sure how to count exact number of years as I've been around childcare. I started working in my Mom's center when I was 16 (I'll be 44 next month). I worked 6 years part time while I was in school. Left the field for 3 years to do social service work.

As for retiring- no set date. As much as enjoy doing this it is first and foremost my job. I have a hobby that is turning itself into a business. The day it makes more $ sense to do it instead of childcare (probably a few years off) I give notice and close up.
Jamie 03:47 AM 02-13-2018
I've been watching kids for 10 years, opened my home daycare 6 months ago and plan to retire in 35-40 years 😊
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 02-13-2018
24 years in private home childcare, 8 years in centers prior to that (started at 13 with work permit as paid after school playground assistant, with an additional few years overlap, shift work). I also worked part time jobs throughout. I am 45 for a just bit longer.

I don't see retirement before a minimum of 20 more years. It may not be from this field, however. Opportunities keep popping up and eventually I will find one too difficult to pass up, I feel it. I have spent my life with availability to my family as my top priority, that seems to be shifting as they become more self reliant and I have fulfilled my parenting goals.
Snowmom 08:01 AM 02-13-2018
I'm in my 11th year.
There are things I love and things I loathe. The state's involvement and push for universal PK being the #1 loathe.

I plan to stop within the next year or two because of the regulations. Not because I don't enjoy my job, because most days I do. I just despise how much the state is involved and they keep inching in more and more.
LittleScholars 09:21 AM 02-13-2018
I've been open 2.5 years, but taught elementary school for over a decade before opening.

I hope to stay open long enough to see all of my current and future children off to K... so maybe 8 years?

I'm finding myself missing adult interaction, but hope that taking more time often during the summer next year will help.
Claraskids 10:54 AM 02-13-2018
This is my fourth year, but not all at the same location or consecutively. Took a year off to care for my parents.
I have worked with kids in one form or another for over 30 years: babysitter, camp, homeschooling, classroom teacher, tutor, etc.
Retiring from childcare in 6 months or less. Hubby has a chance at a job transfer so we will be putting our house up for sale by the end of the school year. Not sure what I will do at our new location but I have already started another part-time home business.
I did check out what it would take to be a licensed provider in the new state....not happening!
momofsix 11:45 AM 02-13-2018
Did a couple of years in a center and have been a home provider for almost 27 years i took one year off in there when we adopted two of our girls.
I'm not sure about retirement yet. I'm almost 52 so still have lots of time. If regulations and STARS get too bad I'll quit at that point and look for something else. Otherwise I'll keep at it for as long as possible.
Denali 08:05 PM 02-13-2018
I’ve been doing this for 7 years in August. I was planning to do daycare until my kids went to high school. My oldest is in K this year.

But things have changed. My son is special needs and I have some health problems, that while none of it interferes with caring for kids or anything, daycare is definitely NOT helping or making life any easier for my family. Just really to much that needs to be done and with me working 50-60 hrs a week and my husband working 40 hrs it’s almost impossible to get doctors appointments, O/T, PT, and speech appointments done ��

We are trying to get another business up and going right now. So I will be going legally unlicensed or just babysitting here and there for current enrolled families by August this year when my license expires. ��

With all the changes with licensed daycare and it now costing more and needing more time and money that I just don’t have to keep licensed it’s just not worth it to keep going.
Jdy2222 08:11 PM 02-13-2018
2.5 years this round, I'm currently planning to retire when my youngest goes to high school in about 5 years ... but sooner wouldn't be so bad (love the kids, but today was a rough day).
Papa 07:22 AM 02-14-2018
I have been in childcare for 36+ years. I am almost 63 and see no retirement coming. I will do this till my body won’t let me anymore.
LaLa1923 05:00 PM 02-15-2018
I am in my 6th year! I plan on doing this for as long as I am able.
Pandaluver21 07:08 PM 02-15-2018
I've been open for 10 years and will "retire" when I'm dead
flying_babyb 08:24 PM 02-15-2018
been a daycare teacher for 15 years, If all goes well "retiring" from daycare in june-ish, moving to Chicago and becoming a cop (or as a back up plan, security guard)
CeriBear 05:37 AM 02-16-2018
I’ve been doing childcare/ teaching for a year and a half and plan to keep on doing it as long as I am able. After having worked 15+ years in retail and retail management working with children is quite a change and I love almost every minute of it. Yes at times it can be frustrating and make me want to pull out my hair but working with these 3 and 4 year olds is so rewarding.
Tags:daycare experiences, retire
Reply Up