Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you pay your employees to take classes?
Yes, an hourly rate, but they pay for the classes 1 11.11%
Yes, an hourly rate, and I pay for the classes 0 0%
No I don't pay them, but I pay for the classes 7 77.78%
No I don't pay them, and they have to pay for the classes 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Pay For Your Employees To Take Classes?
Christina72684 05:26 PM 11-06-2011
I was wondering if people paid their employees their hourly rate to take classes. Mine have to take CPR and another class for Paths To Quality, but didn't know if I should pay them while we were there. CPR costs $30 which I'm already offering to pay, and is 3 hours long, so should I do both? The other class is free, but 2 hours long.
kendallina 05:51 PM 11-06-2011
When I was a director, I would pay the fee for the class. If the class was during work hours that they would normally be paid for, then I would pay them for the class hours as well. If the class was on a Saturday, then I would just pay for the class, but not for their time.
Former Teacher 05:57 PM 11-06-2011
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I was wondering if people paid their employees their hourly rate to take classes. Mine have to take CPR and another class for Paths To Quality, but didn't know if I should pay them while we were there. CPR costs $30 which I'm already offering to pay, and is 3 hours long, so should I do both? The other class is free, but 2 hours long.
When I worked at my former center, the director paid for the classes AND paid for the time of the class. However the hours for the class was not used towards work hours. Meaning there was no overtime. Plus it was only paid at minimum wage.
jessrlee 06:26 PM 11-06-2011
Nope. My assistant pays for her classes and it is on her own time. I make this clear at interview.
small_steps 07:30 PM 11-06-2011
When I the director for a center, the center paid for employees classes and the time they were at the classes. Now that I'm home I only pay for the class, however the people that work for me now are family so they don't mind so much.
Kaddidle Care 04:17 AM 11-07-2011
I guess it would depend on how well your Daycare is doing.

I work in a Non-Profit, Church related Center and we are not usually paid for our time during classes and events (such as Holiday Concerts and a few parent attended events) but we are paid for our monthly meeting which is usually an hour long give or take.

Classes, fingerprinting and background checks are paid by the Center but we do take advantage of any free classes that are available.

There was one class that the new Director asked us to pay half on - it was a Saturday class that was 3-4 hours long and a good 45 minute drive away. I didn't attend. In fact, nobody from our Center attended it.

I am willing to offer my time, but I don't make a lot of money and felt offended that she expected us to give up $30.00 AND half of our Saturday.
grandmom 02:29 PM 11-07-2011
I pay for the class, and overtime for the time because it amounts to overtime by then. I think if we require the class to be taken, we have to pay.
VanessaEO 05:18 PM 11-07-2011
When I had an assistant, I paid for her classes. I didn't pay for her time. In retrospect, had she asked - I would have thought it was a fair request and likely would have paid her.
Tags:classes, employees, poll
Reply Up