Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 AM
awestbrook713's Avatar
awestbrook713 awestbrook713 is offline
Mommyto3boys
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 420
Default How Do I Handle Giving Them A Deadline

I am currently waiting for parents to tell me if they are staying or not with the rate change I am making. I have given them until December 1st to tell me yes or no. This is so I have a month to look for families to fill any openings. Families that won't be staying will be allowed to stay until the new year, but will need alternative care as of January 1st.

I have a family that wants to see if they qualify for the daycare subsidy. I know they will but mom has a bad track record of filling out her portion and sending it in since this is round two of trying to get this done. I filled out my part handed it to dcm and the ball is in her court no more holding her hand. I don't know how long it takes for a decision to be made and won't know if mom sends in paperwork or not and I refuse to have to keep asking her shes an adult its time she acts like one.

Do I keep the December 1st deadline for their answer? The rate will be changing either way and shes already said she can't afford it. If the rate changes and she fails to pay me in full I will be terminating.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

If you said Dec. 1st, then IMHO you need to stick to it. Keeping your word is as important to them as the parents keeping theirs is to you. It is your professional reputation.

In the future, a one week notice is sufficient for contract change signatures.

At the end of the following week, if they choose to leave, they have to give a 2 week notice. That whole process is already 3 weeks long...YKWIM?
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 AM
MARSTELAC's Avatar
MARSTELAC MARSTELAC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere cold
Posts: 279
Default

I would keep the deadline. I have found if I give an inch, they take a yard (or a mile!). My deadline is fast approaching and I have only received one contract back. Should be an interesting next couple of weeks. Guess we should start looking to fill spots just in case.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 AM
awestbrook713's Avatar
awestbrook713 awestbrook713 is offline
Mommyto3boys
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 420
Default

See this is where I made the mistake, I only gave them a paper with their new rates to sign in agreement. I haven't handed out the new policies or contract. I plan on giving them out on the 18th that will give them ample time to take everything in a decide. I tend to jump the gun a bad habit I know. I was trying to give them a heads up as to what was going to happen, I know I don't owe them anything but again another bad habit. So everything will be going home on the 18th final new rate info in the contract, new policies, and they have 2 weeks to fill out and return.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

Oh, hun... So after they are given the rate change a couple weeks will go by and then they will be given the policy changes?

Is that what you meant?

I would give them the rest of the changes, now...don't wait. Treat it like ripping off a band-aid.

Otherwise, they will see it as snowballing (think Netflix ), YKWIM? It can backfire badly... Please consider it.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:59 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

I give all my families the new contract on Dec. 1st, and they have all month to turn it into me. It is due back on Dec. 31st, or the spot will not be held. I had one family, ask me, is anything bad going to happen to us, if I don't return that back to you by the end of the month? I just told her your spot will not be held. She turned it into me at the end of Jan. WOW!! It's a good thing, no one called to take her spot!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2011, 06:21 AM
awestbrook713's Avatar
awestbrook713 awestbrook713 is offline
Mommyto3boys
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 420
Default

Well there is no school on friday and I should have every here that day, guess I will hand them out then. I wish I had just waited I have made this such a mess and I am so stressed. I wasn't done with fixing my policies so I didn't want to hand them out at the same time, but I wanted to let them know about the rate change. I don't think there is anything to crazy in my policies so I don't think they should be a problem. We will see.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default

I would tell you to stick to it. There is other paperwork from time to time for subsity and if she cant fill out the paper work to start, how long will it take to do others!?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 AM
awestbrook713's Avatar
awestbrook713 awestbrook713 is offline
Mommyto3boys
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 420
Default

Well guess december 1st is the deadline, if she turns in the paper work awesome, if she doesn't she will have to make a decision because I have already told her the rate is staying as is.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Yep, keep the deadline but give the policy changes soon too (like within a week). That way they have 3 more weeks to decide whether to stay or not and you've laid all the cards on the table.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-07-2011, 12:25 PM
awestbrook713's Avatar
awestbrook713 awestbrook713 is offline
Mommyto3boys
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 420
Default

Gave first parent the policies and told them the dead line for an answer is december 1st. This was probably my most easy going parent, I feel bad because he has always been on time with payment and very nice. I have one more parent coming today, she is the the mom of my newest dck but she is pretty nice and understanding.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-02-2011, 02:51 PM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awestbrook713 View Post
Gave first parent the policies and told them the dead line for an answer is december 1st. This was probably my most easy going parent, I feel bad because he has always been on time with payment and very nice. I have one more parent coming today, she is the the mom of my newest dck but she is pretty nice and understanding.
Have you posted an update? (Maybe I missed it) Just wondering how things turned out
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
contract - revisions, policy - revisions, rate change, rate change notification, subsidy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Out Of Town Guests: How To Handle? SunshineMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 17 05-07-2012 03:05 PM
How To Handle Maternity Leave Kiki Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 04-29-2012 11:34 AM
How Do You Handle Backup/Substitutes? tmcp2001 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 10-13-2010 07:11 PM
How To Handle Something Like This Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 11-05-2009 11:07 AM
How would you handle this? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 10-01-2009 09:54 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming