Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Penn Foster CDA?
EarthyMom 01:08 PM 09-16-2012
Hello all!

I'm new as of today. My name is Jenn and I'm a married mother of two from NJ. My oldest son is almost 13 and mainstream, and Mark is almost 7 and Autistic.

I am very interested in opening up a Child Care Center that quite possibly could become more special needs focused at an affordable rate. I am not 100% fixated on that because I need much more research. I have located the NJ state requirements book and plan on printing and highlighting according to my goals.

As I understand it I need a CDA to operate as a child care center outside the home for early childhood education. (please correct any errors I may have!)

I was thinking about starting a home daycare while working on educational goals and eventually transitioning into a center out of the home when/if the time comes.

I have a 200 square foot room I could use for setting up the main area learning/playtime area for the children, and the fenced yard for outdoor time. I am interested in 2 1/2 to 5 years of age. I am definitely focused on structured organized chaos! (How many children of that age range would be appropriate in that size room approximately?)

I have read the ratio was 1:5 but then 1:7 for NJ Home daycares. Anyone know?

The main thing I want to know is if the Penn Foster Program avertised on this site would allow me to get a teaching certificate? If not, has anyone done an online learning course such as Kaplan or University of Pheonix to obtain a teaching certification?

Thanks and hello to everyone!
Blackcat31 04:02 PM 09-16-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry so slow to upgrade your status....weekends are a bit lazy.

You can post now without moderation.

We have many members from NJ who I am sure will have answers for your questions. Weekdays are much busier here so please be patient.

Many community school offer CDA certificates both in the classroom and on-line. On-line courses can be a great option for those people who work, are super busy or just can't commit to being in the classroom at a certain time each day. I would definitely check with any community colleges in your state.

Here are a couple links for CDA programs in your state

http://www.bergen.edu/pages1/pages/5356.aspx

http://www.carecourses.com/PublicPag...ew_Jersey.aspx

I would also check with your local CCR&R (Child Care Resource & Referal) offices and see what they can do to connect you with a college or place to take the courses you are looking for. http://njaccrra.org/
http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices...ms/child/ccrr/
Michael 04:07 PM 09-16-2012
Welcome to the forum Jenn!
Crazy8 04:40 PM 09-16-2012
the state limit for NJ home daycare is 5 children plus up to 3 of your own (your own school age don't count in that) - number is lower when infants are involved but for 2.5 - 5 year olds it would be the 5 kids.
I don't know where the 1:7 ratio came from but its not for NJ home daycares from anything I've ever read.
itlw8 06:26 PM 09-16-2012
In most states a CDA is not enough to qualify as a director of a childcare center. Usually it is a degree or miminum a certain # of college credits in early childhood.

You can do Care courses to earn your CDA or Childcare Aware has something right now also... but there is more to it. You need to have a minimum # of hours working in childcare and you need an observation of you working . plus other stuff. The best way to earn it is through a community college or your resourse and refferal

Stay clear of Penn Foster. there is no teaching credential for childcare

If you want to be a director/ owner get started on your early childhood degree.
EarthyMom 06:05 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
the state limit for NJ home daycare is 5 children plus up to 3 of your own (your own school age don't count in that) - number is lower when infants are involved but for 2.5 - 5 year olds it would be the 5 kids.
I don't know where the 1:7 ratio came from but its not for NJ home daycares from anything I've ever read.
I think I was reading something under centers.. Thanks for the response!
EarthyMom 06:06 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome to the forum Jenn!
Thank you!
Springdaze 06:18 AM 09-17-2012
I live in NJ too. as pp said, the ratio for family daycare is 5:1. something like 2 under one and 3 under 2 or something. you can PM me if you want to chat.
EarthyMom 06:31 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
In most states a CDA is not enough to qualify as a director of a childcare center. Usually it is a degree or miminum a certain # of college credits in early childhood.

You can do Care courses to earn your CDA or Childcare Aware has something right now also... but there is more to it. You need to have a minimum # of hours working in childcare and you need an observation of you working . plus other stuff. The best way to earn it is through a community college or your resourse and refferal

Stay clear of Penn Foster. there is no teaching credential for childcare

If you want to be a director/ owner get started on your early childhood degree.
As per NJ State Im wondering if http://online.kaplanuniversity.edu/P...te_Degree.aspx <~~~ that program would work?

Online would be best if Im running a daycare I figure! Im setting myself up for a lot of work. I have sooo many questions.

EC (c) For early childhood programs, the following shall apply:
1. For all centers, the head teacher or consulting head teacher shall meet the
qualification requirements specified in one of the six options set forth in the chart below for
education and experience:
OPTIONS FOR MEETING THE HEAD TEACHER QUALIFICATIONS (note: I deleted most not relevant)
Option Educational and College credits and
Credentials Experience

E Teaching Certification from (Nine credits and three years OR
Six credits and four years
of experience)
Department of Education in a field of experience
other than those listed in Option C

OPTION C
Bachelor's Degree in Education, Six credits and two years
Psychology, Health Care, Nursing, of experience
or any other field related to
Child Growth and Development; or
Teaching Certification from Department of
Education in Elementary Education,
Nursery School, Preschool through Third Grade
(P-3) or Teacher of the Handicapped
EarthyMom 06:38 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
I live in NJ too. as pp said, the ratio for family daycare is 5:1. something like 2 under one and 3 under 2 or something. you can PM me if you want to chat.
Thank you so much! Maybe Ill add you to my friends if thats ok?
MyAngels 07:03 AM 09-17-2012
You'll want to be sure when checking out schools that you find one that offers the credentials that are accepted in your state. I know that a lot of the for-profit online schools (such as Kaplan) often leave students with a ton of debt and credentials that are all but useless when looking for a job. I don't know the specifics for your state, so they could be perfectly fine, but definitely check.

Working closely with your CCRRN should help you figure out which schools will get you where you want to go.

Good luck!
EarthyMom 10:56 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Working closely with your CCRRN should help you figure out which schools will get you where you want to go.

Good luck!
Please excuse my complete and utter ignorance. What exactly does the CCRRN stand for? I am a total newbie to this forum as of yesterday.
Blackcat31 11:46 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by EarthyMom:
Please excuse my complete and utter ignorance. What exactly does the CCRRN stand for? I am a total newbie to this forum as of yesterday.
Child Care Resource and Referal Networks. Each state has one. I posted a link to your state's office in my other post (#2)

Don't worry about being a newbie...you'll catch on quick Here is a link to other acronyms used on this forum just in case you might be wondering: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31167
Crystal 12:21 PM 09-17-2012
Kaplan and Phoenix are both good and acceptable, as they are accredited universities.

Penn Foster is worthless....I took the courses years ago and they qualified me for absolutley nothing, other than a deficit in my checking account

You may also find the courses you need online through your local community college. That is where I earned most of my units in ECE and am now working on a Master's Degree through Pacific Oaks College.

Good luck!
Shawna Ebbeson 09:38 PM 07-07-2016
Hi all;

I thought I would chirp in as a seasoned family child care provider and author of the course curriculum of the family child care concentration courses. The Penn Foster program will prepare you for operating a family child care program wherever you are. The assignments are designed in such a way that your education is tailored to your geographic area. You will focus on the rules and regulations specific to your program. Many of your questions will be answered with confidence by the time you graduate. I have not seen a CDA Prep course equal to what Penn Foster offers.
Shawna Ebbeson 09:42 PM 07-07-2016
I should say the Penn Foster courses I authored are new content that was completed February, 2016. That way you have an accurate point of reference.
Tags:cda, classes, connecticut, penn foster
Reply Up