Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Threads On Getting A CDA
Oneluckymom 08:17 AM 02-20-2013
Looking for threads on getting a CDA.

Anyone do an online CDA program? What online school did you use?
williams2008 08:18 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Looking for threads on getting a CDA.

Anyone do an online CDA program? What online school did you use?
I would like to know about online CDA programs as well.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 02-20-2013
http://www.cdacouncil.org/

Almost all of the community colleges in my state that offer ECE degrees offer CDA courses both on-line and in the classroom. I would start by checking with your area community colleges first.

Here are links for other options

http://www.cdaclass.org/

http://cdatraining.org/cda.htm
melilley 08:25 AM 02-20-2013
Don't forget to look into the T.E.A.C.H scholarship program too! Sorry I don't have the link, but I think each state has it's own.?
Oneluckymom 08:29 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.cdacouncil.org/

Almost all of the community colleges in my state that offer ECE degrees offer CDA courses both on-line and in the classroom. I would start by checking with your area community colleges first.

Here are links for other options

http://www.cdaclass.org/

http://cdatraining.org/cda.htm
Yes I was checking out the sites yesterday night. Previously I was looking into masters programs, but thought I would check out a CDA...I am definitely not ready for a masters program.

I was wondering if one online program is better than another. or if they are almost the same.
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 02-20-2013
Yes I was checking out the sites yesterday night. Previously I was looking into masters programs, but thought I would check out a CDA...I am definitely not ready for a masters program.

I was wondering if one online program is better than another. or if they are almost the same.
I would think that since the CDA is a credential honored by all states (?), I would assume that the requirements are the same for any place you choose to take the coursework.
MarinaVanessa 09:16 AM 02-20-2013
I actually called the CDA council earlier last week to ask about where they recommended that people take courses at and the first place they said was Care Courses. Care Courses has a list of specific courses to take for the CDA. That's awesome because I already take courses from them. They also accept courses from Texas A&M AgriLife Extension as long as you get the certificate for the courses (the courses are free to take but the certificates cost money).

I also took a webinar last week and I found out that there is a $325 application fee when you send in your application (after having done all of the training and requirement work, parent letters etc). Once they get that they schedule a site visit and they let you know whether they approve you or whether you need additional training. You first CDA certificate is good for 3 years and then has to be renewed every 5 years after that which costs $50 each renewal. You also need more training as well some other stuff to renew. You don't need another site visit for renewals. I'm not sure what happens if you don't pass the initial visit, as in I don't know if they have to come back out again to see if you pass the site visit or if there is an additional fee to have them come back out again.

Hth
Oneluckymom 09:16 AM 02-20-2013
For a CDA do you still have to do the 480 hours of observations outside the home...or can you do it with DCKs?
Oneluckymom 09:25 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I actually called the CDA council earlier last week to ask about where they recommended that people take courses at and the first place they said was Care Courses. Care Courses has a list of specific courses to take for the CDA. That's awesome because I already take courses from them. They also accept courses from Texas A&M AgriLife Extension as long as you get the certificate for the courses (the courses are free to take but the certificates cost money).

I also took a webinar last week and I found out that there is a $325 application fee when you send in your application (after having done all of the training and requirement work, parent letters etc). Once they get that they schedule a site visit and they let you know whether they approve you or whether you need additional training. You first CDA certificate is good for 3 years and then has to be renewed every 5 years after that which costs $50 each renewal. You also need more training as well some other stuff to renew. You don't need another site visit for renewals. I'm not sure what happens if you don't pass the initial visit, as in I don't know if they have to come back out again to see if you pass the site visit or if there is an additional fee to have them come back out again.

Hth
Thanks...I'll check them out.
MarinaVanessa 09:25 AM 02-20-2013
For a CDA do you still have to do the 480 hours of observations outside the home...or can you do it with DCKs?
From what I understand the 480 hours are just the number of professional experience that you need, as in you need to have worked with kids for a total of 480 hours before you can apply for the CDA.

The observation is done by a CDA Advisor (which you pick as long as they meet certain requirements) and they actually come to you to observe you. You can do this in your FCC or in a center, I believe it's your choice. They observe you and take notes to make sure that they observe you meeting the standards. The observation notes as well as everything else (proof of training, proof of hours worked with children, parent letters etc.) are all sent in with your application and fee and then they call you to schedule an official site visit.

I hope I answered your question.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 02-20-2013
You can do it with your own DCK's. Atleast I did.

The CDA is offered on serveal different platforms. I earned one waaaay back when I worked at Head Start as a Home Visitor/Classroom Teacher and had to retake the course to earn my CDA as a Family Child Care provider.
itlw8 09:57 AM 02-20-2013
There are changes coming up in the CDA program the basic stuff is the same but other changes are happening. CDA 2.0 I would go to the council site to read about it.

I earned mine 10 years ago so things have changed. There were no online classes then. Renewing this year with online classes was a breeze.

Some states may have funding for grants to cover part of it . Check with your Resource and referral agency. Ours is Childcare Aware and they have online CDA classes . I do agree CAre Courses are excellent.

Yes my experience was here in my family childcare and my observation was done here I just had to have a minimum of children here that day. I do not remember how many.
Oneluckymom 10:45 AM 02-20-2013
I want to enroll with Care Courses...but I cannot decide which I would prefer: Coursebooks or the Online Textbook Course.

Not sure I would learn the same without an actual book in front of me vs reading an "online" text book.
MarinaVanessa 11:33 AM 02-20-2013
I just really started to get serious about wanting to get a CDA so I think that it's great to know that there are others here that have already done it. I was debating between a CDA and being Accredited and decided on the CDA instead for now if only because the CDA is $325 & $50 rectification every 5 years vs NAFCC Accreditation which is $300 enrollment, $500 for the observation and $150 for the first year update. For me it was a no brainer lol.

Question: How did you CDA ladies find your CDA Advisor?
MarinaVanessa 11:42 AM 02-20-2013
I want to enroll with Care Courses...but I cannot decide which I would prefer: Coursebooks or the Online Textbook Course.

Not sure I would learn the same without an actual book in front of me vs reading an "online" text book.
One thing that I like about doing the courses with an actual book is that I can highlight important parts and make notes in my book and keep it with my other resource books for reference. I LOVE that. I can also take the book with me wherever I go and flip through the pages easily so I don't have to worry about having to read it on my computer, have to carry around a bulky tablet to read it out of my home, or on my tiny phone screen.

The nice thing is that they used to have you mail in your test answers when you took the book course and not the PDF and you'd have your test results back in 2-3 weeks but now either way they let you take the test online and you get to (usually) see your results immediately, then they just mail you your certificate. I think it's great.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Question: How did you CDA ladies find your CDA Advisor?
Here the advisor was the instructor for the class. Not sure how that works with on-line courses though. You could always call the CDA council or your area CCR&R offices and ask them. I am sure they know of some. I would hope anyways.

I thought about taking the courses to become an advisor...which would be cool to do....especially if I could come to your area and be yours
Oneluckymom 12:24 PM 02-20-2013
I thought about taking the courses to become an advisor...which would be cool to do....especially if I could come to your area and be yours

Michael 02:19 PM 02-20-2013
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=cda
MarinaVanessa 05:21 PM 02-20-2013
That would be awesome ... then we could go to Disneyland after
MsMe 08:52 PM 02-20-2013
I got my CDA from a community college. Our adviser was the instructor, but she did have another prof come to do some of our observations. I was bummed i really wanted her to see my program. The rep from the council met me at the library for my tests.

Mine took a year to complete. Every Thursday night and one whole Sat a month. We took June and July off.
I used a T.E.A.C.H scholarship and my local CCR&R helped bring the cohort to my town. I pain nothing and after bonuses came out about $500 up!!
itlw8 06:51 AM 02-21-2013
My advisor was the instructor. The person who observes you has to bee someone you do not know. and then the council sent someone for the test. I think I read there will now be a testing center you will go to .
Tags:cda
Reply Up