Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Word So It Doesn't Sound Tacky
sahm1225 05:27 AM 03-04-2014
I want to say something like 'a few families have asked about donating things to the daycare. We always welcome donations! Right now we are looking for construction paper, paper towels, scotch tape, and colored paper'

I don't want anyone to feel obligated to buy things, but if they have some lying around, we can use it.

So how do I word it in the newsletter to not make families feel obligated to donate?
cara041083 05:47 AM 03-04-2014
Do you have a "information board"? Maybe you could put a sign up that says Donations welcome and leave it at that ? I wouldn't come out and ask for them, In my opinion it might stir some feathers. But if they see it and want to then that's on them. Does that make since?
drseuss 06:07 AM 03-04-2014
In my handbook I have a little write-up on family involvement, and one of the suggestions is bringing things from home. I don't ask for new things, but do let parents know that if they have anything nifty laying around that might be headed for the recycling bin, we may be able to use those things in our open art projects or loose parts box. If they see that and are inspired to bring other things, too, I am fine with that. It's only happened once though.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I want to say something like 'a few families have asked about donating things to the daycare. We always welcome donations! Right now we are looking for construction paper, paper towels, scotch tape, and colored paper'

I don't want anyone to feel obligated to buy things, but if they have some lying around, we can use it.

So how do I word it in the newsletter to not make families feel obligated to donate?
I post a list of things we can always use on the bulletin board.

I have several parents that bring things all the time and some that have never brought a thing.

Just make a list and title it "Things we can always use"
Tags:budget, donations, free, supplies - provided by parents
Reply Up