Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had a "Moment" Today...
Meeko 04:30 PM 12-10-2014
My husband and I take turns driving our kindies to school each morning.

Gus, our Westie dog comes too. Every. Single. Day. He likes going "bye-bye" on the school runs.

The morning routine is always the same. We pull up in the drop-off lane and jump out, open the back passenger door and let the kids out. They go around the back of the car and off into school.

As soon as they get out of the car, Gus jumps to look through the front passenger window. As soon as he sees the kids come around the car, his tail wags like mad. Within a few seconds, the kids are at the school doors and always turn and shout "Bye Gus!".....to which his little tail wags so fast he may take off like a helicopter one day. He watches them until they are gone as I pull out of the school.

On the way home, I realized that no center could give the kids that sense of belonging and "home". They love Gus and he loves them. They will remember him as they grow older. They wouldn't recall a fancy equipment laden center..they WILL remember him and the love they gave and received.

I sometimes hanker for fancier equipment in my daycare. For newer stuff. For all the latest toys and furniture etc.

But today we are going to play Christmas music and make snowflake ornaments out of popsicle sticks and we will laugh and have fun. The kids won't care that my kitchen table is scratched and seen better days.

I felt awesome as I drove. My daycare kids are happy and safe. THAT is what they will remember.

I have past daycare kids who now have kids of their own. I called one when I got home and asked her what her memories of daycare were. She said she honestly couldn't remember a lot of specific situations. She just remembers it being fun and being happy.

My "moment" was complete.
Heidi 05:19 PM 12-10-2014

Every morning when the first kids come, they sit in the living room with us while my dh and I have coffee before he heads off to work. My dh plays with them or teases (nicely) them, and they watch for the school bus to go by. I have often thought "how do you quantify this?' If I had an observer from the QRIS, no way would my dh hang out and have a conversation with me (much less kiss me goodbye). No way would my teens come down and get ready for school and hang out to visit for a minute before I yell my catch phrase at them on their way out the door. No way would an observer SEE any of this; FAMILY childcare.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:07 PM 12-10-2014
I had a moment like that the other day. A few minutes before the other kids get up from nap, I get my homeschooled kindergarten-age daughter up and we have a little reading lesson on the couch. That day, we each snuggled a cat on our laps as she worked her way through a book that was just hard enough to be a little stressful for her. I kept thinking how lucky--and rare--it was for her to be able to take comfort from the cat as she worked on something hard. Really priceless.
mom2many 11:17 PM 12-10-2014
I can so relate to this post and love the fact that someone else sees the importance of what a family home daycare provides! My home is very clean, but is in no way pristine. Kids live here day in and day out and precious memories are formed within these walls! I do not have a "perfect" home...but at the same time, I do allow other peoples children to become part of my family and feel at home here! I'm blessed and thankful for the job I've been entrusted with.
Josiegirl 02:40 AM 12-11-2014
Just imagine what all these children are being taught!!
AuntTami 05:14 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Just imagine what all these children are being taught!!
I just ordered a wall decal that says "please excuse the mess. The children are making memories"....it fits so well. My house is clean but not spotless. But, the kids are happy and making memories here. They don't care if there's crumbs left over from lunch on the floor. They don't care if the dishes aren't done. They're learning and they're happy and that's my goal here, not to have a spotless house.
Laurel 05:21 AM 12-11-2014
We used to have a Resource and Referral lady from our local agency do trainings for our childcare association. She mostly worked with underprivileged children. She said she much preferred home child care for children. She said a real home environment is what these children need because many don't have a normal home life.

They need to see how a family interacts, participate in daily chores, and just be in a real home.

Laurel
Laurel 05:27 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I just ordered a wall decal that says "please excuse the mess. The children are making memories"....it fits so well. My house is clean but not spotless. But, the kids are happy and making memories here. They don't care if there's crumbs left over from lunch on the floor. They don't care if the dishes aren't done. They're learning and they're happy and that's my goal here, not to have a spotless house.
Before I did child care in my home I was a stay at home mom. I used to let my children do all kinds of fun things... same with daycare later. One day I gave my son a roll of toilet paper and he was having a ball unraveling it all over the living room. I had forgotten that someone was supposed to come over for some reason. Can't remember anymore. This repair guy came in and I was sooo embarrassed until he just smiled and said to my son "It looks like you are having a lot of fun today." Ahhh, that was so nice of him. I was like .

Laurel
TheGoodLife 06:28 AM 12-11-2014
That was beautiful, thanks for sharing!!
Josiegirl 09:44 AM 12-11-2014
Where'd you get the wall decal Tammi? I'd love one. Or maybe I'll see if I can find my creative side and make one. Heheh yeh right.
melilley 10:27 AM 12-11-2014
What a great "moment"!

I just started a dcg in October. She is 13 months old now. At our interview, mom said that dcg was on a waiting list at a center and that she wanted to tell me this up front. I told her I understood because I do understand that some parent"s think that they want a more formal environment vs. home family environment (I don't know why though) and that as long as I have a two week notice that I was fine with that. Well, yesterday, dcm informed me that she was taking dcg off of the wait list at the center.

That made me feel so good. See, if we could only get center parents to enroll in a family environment, I bet we could change a lot of minds!

P.S., I am in no way bashing centers! I worked in a center environment for 14 years and there were some great, loving teachers (such as myself . When I first opened, I had a center mindset, but after doing family dc for almost 2 years now, I see the differences.
melilley 10:28 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Where'd you get the wall decal Tammi? I'd love one. Or maybe I'll see if I can find my creative side and make one. Heheh yeh right.
Me, Me, I want to know too!

I don't think I could ever make one, well I could try, but I have a feeling it won't look like it's intended to.
Shell 10:55 AM 12-11-2014
Wow, I could really visualize this whole drop off while reading- what a beautiful experience for them (and you, too).
Controlled Chaos 11:35 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
What a great "moment"!

I just started a dcg in October. She is 13 months old now. At our interview, mom said that dcg was on a waiting list at a center and that she wanted to tell me this up front. I told her I understood because I do understand that some parent"s think that they want a more formal environment vs. home family environment (I don't know why though) and that as long as I have a two week notice that I was fine with that. Well, yesterday, dcm informed me that she was taking dcg off of the wait list at the center.

That made me feel so good. See, if we could only get center parents to enroll in a family environment, I bet we could change a lot of minds!

P.S., I am in no way bashing centers! I worked in a center environment for 14 years and there were some great, loving teachers (such as myself . When I first opened, I had a center mindset, but after doing family dc for almost 2 years now, I see the differences.
I had a 3yo dcb who was supposed to leave for a expensive preschool that feeds into a presigious private school. Monday the parents asked if I had filled his spot, and if he could stay His parents told me from the beginning he would go to a "real" daycare when he turned 4. Well, they said after writing me some nice reviews (on my FB page and KSL page) they realized how much their son really has learned here. That I am a "real" school that loves their son. Merry Christmas to me!
Jack Sprat 12:27 PM 12-11-2014
Ahh! That is so sweet!

DCB who is 3 told me today, this isn't school this is my other home. Made me melt!

Things like your story and the others let me know we are doing it right!
Reply Up