Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Any Of You Not Do Water Play?
permanentvacation 08:44 AM 06-21-2015
On one hand, I love water play. However, for many years now, I only watch children ages 6 weeks - 4 years old. All of them need help undressing and getting their bathing suits on and then taking their bathing suits off, drying off, and getting dressed again. Every time we start playing with water, someone has to go to the bathroom - even though everyone went potty while getting their bathing suits on. And if a child is inside, I'm required to be inside with them (meaning I can't stay outside with the others playing in the water and just let the one child inside to go potty.) So, we all have to come inside because one child has to pee. And of course that one child is all wet, so I have to dry him/her off first, help them out of their bathing suit, and then put their bathing suit back on them!

It's A LOT of work to let the kids have water play time!

So, I was wondering if any one truly does not ever do water play and if your parents are okay with that.
permanentvacation 08:47 AM 06-21-2015
I guess I could require that the girls wear only bikinis so I don't have to take the entire bathing suit off when they have to go potty. That would help a bit.
kendallina 08:54 AM 06-21-2015
Some people use little potty chairs outside too, maybe that would help?

Btw, I can't imagine doing water play with such little ones, that is a ton of work! I have 6 kids, but they're ages 3-7 and I generally have to help the 3-year olds, but the rest can really do everything on their own. I wouldn't be as excited about water play if I had to change all the toddlers too.
racemom 09:41 AM 06-21-2015
I work at a center, and only 4 years and up go swimming two times per week. No other water play. We started the pool last year, to entertain schoolagers, and never had complaints about not having water play.
permanentvacation 10:01 AM 06-21-2015
We can only use potty chairs in the bathroom here.
MarinaVanessa 10:03 AM 06-21-2015
I know you asked for people that don't do water play and I do have it but I don't do swimming or pool time so maybe that will help?

I just have a water table that I fill with water and I add water toys, measuring cups, funnels, containers etc. There's little mess water-wise and so if we have to come back inside it's not such a big deal because the kids aren't all soaking wet.

I also keep extra shirts and shorts for the kids here and so sometimes when I'm feeling adventurous I'll change the kids into those clothes and give the kids little buckets of water, sponges and some soapy water and they have a "car wash" and wash our ride-on toys down. They get to play with water and have a blast and all of my ride-on toys get cleaned .

I don't think a wading pool is necessary if you don't want to deal with the fuss and as long as you offered some sort of water play.

Here if I wanted to let the kids play in a wading pool I'd have to fill the pool while we were all outside and dump it right away if we had to go back inside. I wouldn't be able to fill it in the morning and leave it for later to use or leave it filled if we came back inside for a potty break. That would be a class A violation for us if licensing came by and saw a "body of water" filled and left like that so I just don't even bother. Too much hassle for me so I just don't do it.
Controlled Chaos 12:59 PM 06-21-2015
We do sprinkler play two days a week. I put their swim suits on after snack, we do potty and sunscreen at this time anyway, so its not too much more work. Then, I put their regular clothes in a bag to take outside with us. The kids play in the sprinkler and just about the yard for an hour, then I turn off the sprinkler and change them back one at a time outside before heading in. I have diaper stuff (roll up changing pad, diapers, wipes, bags to put the dirty ones in and hand sanitzer) in a storage tub outside so it also takes care of a diaper change when we change back which is nice. Then the big ones go when we get back in. The kids know if we have to go back in to go potty we are done, so it rarely happens,

Every other day there are several small tubs (water table sized), on the grass filled with water, boats, funnels etc. I don't care if the kids get their clothes wet as it is so hot it feels good for them, and they dry quickly. I just take the water away 15min or so before we head in.
Play Care 03:00 AM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by :
I just have a water table that I fill with water and I add water toys, measuring cups, funnels, containers etc. There's little mess water-wise and so if we have to come back inside it's not such a big deal because the kids aren't all soaking wet.
This is what I do as well. I do have a sprinkler that I will occasionally use, but all of that is at my convenience.
Josiegirl 03:18 AM 06-22-2015
So far I've been putting it off. My faucet that I use leaks like crazy. And I so dread the mess it makes. Seems the older I get the less tolerant I have become of sand/mud/water/dirt messes. I usually fill up the water table in the a.m. and they're happy. I've done sprinkler play before but as I said, my faucet needs to be fixed. Besides with all the rain we've had lately, they find enough water. Getting to be an old killjoy I guess.
When we go outside at 9ish it can still be a bit chilly here, especially if you get soaking wet. And in the p.m. dcps sometimes pick up soon after we make it back outdoors. (at least those are my excuses)
DaveA 04:04 AM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This is as far as I go. Right now I have four 3 or under and don't want the headache of more involved water play.
Annalee 05:08 AM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
On one hand, I love water play. However, for many years now, I only watch children ages 6 weeks - 4 years old. All of them need help undressing and getting their bathing suits on and then taking their bathing suits off, drying off, and getting dressed again. Every time we start playing with water, someone has to go to the bathroom - even though everyone went potty while getting their bathing suits on. And if a child is inside, I'm required to be inside with them (meaning I can't stay outside with the others playing in the water and just let the one child inside to go potty.) So, we all have to come inside because one child has to pee. And of course that one child is all wet, so I have to dry him/her off first, help them out of their bathing suit, and then put their bathing suit back on them!

So, I was wondering if any one truly does not ever do water play and if your parents are okay with that.
I have 2 water tables that I put some water in with boats, pouring materials, etc....We get wet but not drenched. We have extra clothes for everyone, but usually not everyone will be wet enough they need to change.
Shell 07:22 AM 06-22-2015
I do water play a couple times a week with my group, ages 1-5, and it's a real hassle! The parents always bring their bathing suits, do I kind of do it out of obligation. It's really a pain- and someone always poops right as we get outside, every single time, without fail.
So, no real advice, just commiserating!
rosieteddy 07:41 AM 06-22-2015
The last few years my group was pretty young 6 3yrs and under.I would fill 2 water tables give boats small toys and detergent cups.I sometimes just took their shirts off they played dried and put shirts back on and home.I fought many years with pools /slip and slides and sprinkler so much work.Wter tables cooled them down parents never ccomplained.
Rockgirl 07:42 AM 06-22-2015
Water play is a big part of our summer. I've done it two different ways, as far as swimsuits go. One is having each child bring a swimsuit and towel to leave here. I wash them and put them back in cubbies. The other is letting parents know which days we will play in the water, and they come here already in swimsuits, with clothes over them. It works fine, because we do water play in the morning.
permanentvacation 08:52 AM 06-22-2015
When I had an older group, we did water play with the sprinklers every morning and the parents brought the kids to daycare already lathered up with sunscreen and wearing their bathing suits. When we were done, they would go to the bathroom one at a time and dress themselves in their clothes. But with up to 8 little ones that I have to dress, it is a lot.

However, I did go ahead last night and bought a cute flower water sprinkler and 2 water tables. I recently got some money and have invested a good bit of it into my indoor daycare furniture, toys, and educational activities. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't bought anything to upgrade my outdoor area. I was trying to decide if I could get away with not having water play. But parents in my area really like it, so I went ahead and got some water play items.

I do think I am going to have the parents put sunscreen and bathing suits on their children in the morning (and do my best to have the girls wear bikinis so it's easier for them to go to the bathroom). That way, I just have to help everyone dry off and dress one time when we are done with water play.

Since you guys are saying that they don't get too wet with the water tables, I think I'll do them a couple of times per week and only do the sprinkler once or twice per week. At least their hair shouldn't get all wet from the tables and I won't have to brush and style everyone's hair every day.
nannyde 10:30 AM 06-22-2015
Blackcat... sprinkler thread!
Blackcat31 05:35 PM 06-22-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Blackcat... sprinkler thread!

Another forum "classic"!
Unregistered 06:54 PM 06-22-2015
Water tables. And this year... Puddles! The rain here in the Midwest has been crazy.
Play Care 03:24 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Another forum "classic"!
Links! Links!
Blackcat31 05:42 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Links! Links!
...ok, if you insist.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32399
Crazy8 06:32 AM 06-23-2015
I have all young ones too (oldest now is 4 but its rare I even have a 4 year old!). I set one day a week for water/sprinkler play and children are to come in wearing bathing suit and sunscreen. We do our water play by 10-10:30am anyway because it starts to get so hot later. I just bring them all in wrapped in their towels and strip them down one at a time and change them, etc. It is a pain in the butt but at least its only once a week!
Rockgirl 08:10 AM 06-23-2015
...ok, if you insist.

Who would think the subject of running through a sprinkler could be so controversial? Lol
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Who would think the subject of running through a sprinkler could be so controversial? Lol
Right?!?

Most the dramatic threads that have morphed into craziness started out very calmly and innocently.
MarinaVanessa 09:28 AM 06-23-2015
...ok, if you insist.

Ahh yes, I love this thread too.

Especially Nan's "I don't want to" post.
Play Care 09:50 AM 06-23-2015
That escalated quickly!
childcaremom 09:52 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:

I have never had a parent complain about my programming. Ever.

Having read the 'other' thread, I think that Nan's advice was pretty spot on (and I am paraphrasing) but I really liked where she said to look after yourself and run the program you want. (maybe it was someone else?)

If you think it's too much hassle, don't do it. If you enjoy it, why not?

I don't have a kiddie pool, sprinkler or anything like that. I do have a water table and buckets, containers, bowls that get filled up regularly in the summertime. (our summer is very short here so I might feel differently if we had 4-5 months of warm weather) My group is btwn 1 and 5 year olds. We just wear our shorts and shirts and change when we come in. If someone needs to come in to use the potty, we come in, and yes it gets wet. I clean up when we are all finished outside. I feel like I should mention that I am not a neat freak so this does not bother me in the least. As long as I get it all cleaned up before my hubby gets home, it's all good
Rockgirl 10:05 AM 06-23-2015
I'm expecting that other thread to be bumped soon.
Heidi 11:00 AM 06-23-2015
No wading pool or sprinkler here. I have a water table (Step 2 I think) and a rain gutter that open on one end into it, with a water wheel at the top. I have lots of small scoops and measuring cups.

I get ONE bucket of water out each day, and fill the table. They sometimes take cups to the sandbox, they sometimes use the water wheel, they sometimes just wash babies (I put bubbles in about once a week).

I do not refill the table, so if they dump it, it's gone. I also don't change out of play clothes before hand, so if they get wet, they "run around and get dry".

If they are really wet, I strip them outside the door, and they get fresh clothes inside.

Mine are 12 months, 23 months, and 2 2 1/2 year olds.

I do want to add some more things to the "water wall" part of it, but we only moved here 2 months ago, and there's so much to do.
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 06-23-2015
I'm expecting that other thread to be bumped soon.
yep...almost always happens.

One of my all time favorite forum quotes to date
Josiegirl 04:08 PM 06-23-2015

That's from hanging around kids for too long.
MyAngels 04:39 PM 06-23-2015

Another forum "classic"!
There should be a special section with all the "best of" threads pinned.
stephanie 05:42 PM 06-23-2015
We also only do a water table here, and put measuring cups, funnels, plastic bottles, water wheels, etc. in it. We put painting smocks on to cover their clothes but they don't seem to get too wet anyway.

And I wouldn't worry about parents complaining or being unhappy (easier said than done, I know!). Some things just aren't realistic in group care, especially when there's just one provider and so many little ones! If a parent asks or complains I would just say something like, "I plan my water play/swimming time based on the needs of the group."
Unregistered 04:13 AM 06-24-2015
Water table here too and a water wall. We also use buckets and sponges to wash play houses, bubble play with the big wands from the dollar store, cheap full size size paint brushes and buckets of water to paint with water, etc.

Some parents send kiddos in their suit (2's). I don't do suits for under two. Shorts and shirts dry! Or I change them. Older kids can bring suits and change if the want to. I don't get kids in and out of suits!
Unregistered 04:28 AM 06-24-2015
I also set up a cute coffee shop that they use for long blocks of time. I got two cheap tea sets (but they are decent quality) and one better one from goodwill.

I saved vanilla bottles, empty spice bottles, empty foam soap bottles (for the foam on the cappuccino), some plastic food like cookies, spoons, honey bears, etc.

I have a low rectangular folding child's table I set up for the coffee shop. I set out bowls of water so they can refill the tea pots themselves, a few small cups of sand for sugar, and let them go to it. It looks messy, but the sand washes away easily at clean up and they are so focused and involved with this. I LOVE this activity!
Rockgirl 06:18 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I also set up a cute coffee shop that they use for long blocks of time. I got two cheap tea sets (but they are decent quality) and one better one from goodwill.

I saved vanilla bottles, empty spice bottles, empty foam soap bottles (for the foam on the cappuccino), some plastic food like cookies, spoons, honey bears, etc.

I have a low rectangular folding child's table I set up for the coffee shop. I set out bowls of water so they can refill the tea pots themselves, a few small cups of sand for sugar, and let them go to it. It looks messy, but the sand washes away easily at clean up and they are so focused and involved with this. I LOVE this activity!
I LOVE this idea!
Unregistered 06:51 AM 06-24-2015
I LOVE this idea!
Thanks! I'm not sure how I came up with this idea! One of my few originals.....usually they come from blogs or Pinterest.

It even engages older children.
mom2many 02:16 PM 06-24-2015
Boy I'd give anything for sprinkler days here! We are in a drought here in CA and had to cut our water usage by 30% from 2013. We can't water or use our sprinklers from 10 am - 8 pm. This summer, I've been using a water table for the kids. Freezing colored water in ice cube trays and letting them play with kitchen utensils- like slotted spoons, sives, etc.
Play Care 09:22 AM 06-25-2015
So I was thinking of you all today...

I bought a sprinkler toy to use. Today is the first day of summer vacation here and I have a houseful. Great plans - sprinklers, picnic, games, etc.

I know, I know

So we get ready to do the sprinklers - most of my kids get themselves ready, no biggie. I used spray sunscreen on them. All good, right?

They argued the entire time.

"He's getting me wet!" "She's splashed me!" "STOP DOING THAT!" "I'm not doing anything!" "He keeps going through my spray!"

Finally turn it off and get everyone inside to change. Kids purposely running around naked, leaving a trail of wet suits and towels all over.

Get everyone changed, have them clean up their mess. They can't stop wrestling and running all over.

Now, I got some great pics, and the parents will love them. But I can't help but think if I were running video they would be HORRIFIED to hear the kids behaving the way they were.

But I get the last laugh - every single one of them is laying down for nap right now. Every. single. one.

I'm telling you flat here and now - this was the LAST time we will do that again. I am sticking to the water table and clothes on.
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
So I was thinking of you all today...

I bought a sprinkler toy to use. Today is the first day of summer vacation here and I have a houseful. Great plans - sprinklers, picnic, games, etc.

I know, I know

So we get ready to do the sprinklers - most of my kids get themselves ready, no biggie. I used spray sunscreen on them. All good, right?

They argued the entire time.

"He's getting me wet!" "She's splashed me!" "STOP DOING THAT!" "I'm not doing anything!" "He keeps going through my spray!"

Finally turn it off and get everyone inside to change. Kids purposely running around naked, leaving a trail of wet suits and towels all over.

Get everyone changed, have them clean up their mess. They can't stop wrestling and running all over.

Now, I got some great pics, and the parents will love them. But I can't help but think if I were running video they would be HORRIFIED to hear the kids behaving the way they were.

But I get the last laugh - every single one of them is laying down for nap right now. Every. single. one.

I'm telling you flat here and now - this was the LAST time we will do that again. I am sticking to the water table and clothes on.
LOL!

I really did Laugh Out Loud!!!
Play Care 10:05 AM 06-25-2015
LOL!

I really did Laugh Out Loud!!!
I can laugh now cause everyone is sleeping!
Baby Beluga 10:30 AM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

This is a super cute idea!
Rockgirl 10:42 AM 06-25-2015
We are going all out tomorrow! We are making a big water blob (search Pinterest), filling the wading pool, and turning on the sprinkler.
childcaremom 10:54 AM 06-25-2015
We are going all out tomorrow! We are making a big water blob (search Pinterest), filling the wading pool, and turning on the sprinkler.
Oh my gosh! That looks like so much fun. I am going to get the supplies this weekend and try it out.
Happily_wed 04:47 PM 06-26-2015
I very rarely do water play here. I have three and sometimes four daycare kids. The one family has a 5, 8 year old and 16 month old. The other is a 6 year old girl. The one family has an in ground pool at home so no water play I do measures up with the kids. The other child is only here once in a while.

Not only do I rarely do water time I rarely do outside time. I kid you not all they do is complain! "it's too hot out here. It's not hot enough out here. The bugs are biting me. It's not fair..the bugs are biting her but not me! The sun is too bright. The sun isn't bright enough. The sky is too blue, the grass not green enough..blah blah blah" LOL. They beg to go outside then sit down after 1 minute and complain. Too much work getting them ready for 1 minute. I know that they spend all evening playing outside at home so I don't worry about it.
Rockgirl 05:50 PM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Oh my gosh! That looks like so much fun. I am going to get the supplies this weekend and try it out.
They had a blast!
Magic 06:44 AM 06-27-2015
we do water play alot ......
little weee pool with water cans ex...
in the very too hot days too hot to be out side I have little spray bottles and a big pourch in the shade ...so they can spray water even with cloths on ...in the heat they dry fast ..their cloths do not get very wet and dry realy fast before coming inside ...I make sure the top of their heads get sprayed which helps them cool down too ....they LOVE the spray bottles ....dollar store in hair care
god for little hands
Tags:water play
Reply Up