Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice for Summer Care
Jenn 11:17 AM 05-26-2010
I am an in home childcare provider. I have two families this summer that are returning in the fall. They do not need me for the summer. Due to this I am losing about $600 each month this summer. I cannot get any fill in families for the summer so how do I recoup this money without replacing the kids whose spots I am saving for the fall? Do I ask the parents for half the rate for summer unless they give up the spot? I am running out of ideas if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
momofboys 04:04 AM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by Jenn:
I am an in home childcare provider. I have two families this summer that are returning in the fall. They do not need me for the summer. Due to this I am losing about $600 each month this summer. I cannot get any fill in families for the summer so how do I recoup this money without replacing the kids whose spots I am saving for the fall? Do I ask the parents for half the rate for summer unless they give up the spot? I am running out of ideas if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
I am in the same boat. I KNOW my mom would not be happy about paying a deposit so I think I am going to have her sign her agreement before summer starts & have her pay a holding fee of $200. I know it isn't much $$$ but it assures me that she is planning to use me in the fall. There's no way my DCM won't use me if she has to pay a holding fee.
AfterSchoolMom 04:21 AM 05-27-2010
I would definitely charge either a deposit or a holding fee if you think you can get it. None of my families would go for it though. I knew that I'd be facing this problem this year, so I've been putting aside a portion of my pay every week into savings to be used during the summer. I figured out how much I'd need weekly for groceries, gas, some "fun money", bills, etc. and made a savings goal. We've got three weeks of school left and I'm only about $100 short of my goal. It's going to hurt spending the money that I've worked so hard at saving all year, but it's better than having none.

I know that's not helpful for this year, but maybe for next year?
momofboys 04:31 AM 05-27-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I am in the same boat. I KNOW my mom would not be happy about paying a deposit so I think I am going to have her sign her agreement before summer starts & have her pay a holding fee of $200. I know it isn't much $$$ but it assures me that she is planning to use me in the fall. There's no way my DCM won't use me if she has to pay a holding fee.
I should re-word this to say I am going to try to get her to pay this to hold her spot. I will tell her if she does not I will be looking for other clients this summer & if her spot is gone, it's gone. I also plan to give her 1/2 of the holding fee back toward her first week of care (I think).
MarinaVanessa 01:26 PM 05-27-2010
Yup a holding fee sounds reasonable. Be careful how you word it though. If you say holding deposit that pretty much means that they are entitled to it when they come back. Kind of like when you ask for a two-weeks deposit and they decide to leave, that deposit is used towards the last two-weeks of care. a holding deposit would be used towards their fee when they come back.

You can charge a holding fee which is a fee that you charge only to hold the slot. It is unrefundable and can't be used towards the fee when they come back. There are many ways to do it. You can charge a flat fee or per week. I do both. I charge a $50 holding fee a week that doesn't ever go over $200 so your idea of a fee sounds reasonable to me since that's what I charge and think is fair.
mac60 03:44 AM 05-28-2010
A couple ideas......go to a 2 day rate holding fee and she can bring her child 2 days per week thru the summer. Gives her opportunity to get things done with out her child. A flat holding fee, maybe $300, or whatever based on your rates--non refundable to hold her spot till fall. I actually charge a $40 fee per week, and you can bring your child 2 days.
momma2girls 04:37 AM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yup a holding fee sounds reasonable. Be careful how you word it though. If you say holding deposit that pretty much means that they are entitled to it when they come back. Kind of like when you ask for a two-weeks deposit and they decide to leave, that deposit is used towards the last two-weeks of care. a holding deposit would be used towards their fee when they come back.

You can charge a holding fee which is a fee that you charge only to hold the slot. It is unrefundable and can't be used towards the fee when they come back. There are many ways to do it. You can charge a flat fee or per week. I do both. I charge a $50 holding fee a week that doesn't ever go over $200 so your idea of a fee sounds reasonable to me since that's what I charge and think is fair.
Yes, I totally agree!! I have a 2 week deposit to hold the spot during the summer. THis fee is only to hold the spot, and is nonrefundable!
momma2girls 04:41 AM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
A couple ideas......go to a 2 day rate holding fee and she can bring her child 2 days per week thru the summer. Gives her opportunity to get things done with out her child. A flat holding fee, maybe $300, or whatever based on your rates--non refundable to hold her spot till fall. I actually charge a $40 fee per week, and you can bring your child 2 days.
Is this what other daycare providers do in your area?
I know before I moved, I used to have in my contract, to pay 1/2 the rate in the summer per week, and they could bring their child one day per week. So at least I was making something to hold that spot. I was charging $125.00 per week in a small town, and holding their spot for $63.00, and they could bring their child one time on that. So I was making like $38.00 per week. At least it was something to hold it for them.
Now I have a 2 week deposit only to hold the spot. There are many, many provders that do 1/2 the weekly rate and many do the full rate each week tol hold it!!
AfterSchoolMom 04:42 AM 05-28-2010
Those of you who charge a flat $200 or 300 fee, do you apply that to the first week, or is that only to hold the spot as well?
momofboys 10:34 AM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Those of you who charge a flat $200 or 300 fee, do you apply that to the first week, or is that only to hold the spot as well?
I was going to apply 1/2 of her holding fee towards her fiirst week of care; however the holding fee is non-refundable so if she decides not to return I will not return any of it to her.
MarinaVanessa 11:13 AM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
It's a Holding Fee so the fee is only for me to hold their spot. The fee is non-refundable and also not put towards their rate when they return. Once they return they have to pay the regular rate. It's sort of like an inconvenience fee for me for loosing $$ while they are away and me having to keep their spot open. To make it financially better for myself I may fill the opening temporarily with drop-in care or someone willing to take the spot temporarily. Both families know of this.
mismatchedsocks 11:14 AM 05-28-2010
Wow I am a meany then. I would tell them unless they were to pay for the summer, I could not guarantee that there would be a spot in the fall. I also would tell them if they could, or I, find a summer only family then you could promise them a spot. ( I actually have 2 families set up this way)

I dont think missing out on 10 weeks ( or more) at $150 a week... $1500 is what you will be missing out on, in hopes they will return. ( what if they dont would $300 be sufficient for the -$1500 and any time it takes to get new family in the fall if they do not come back?)

Good luck!
MrsCoffee 06:16 AM 06-02-2010
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Wow I am a meany then. I would tell them unless they were to pay for the summer, I could not guarantee that there would be a spot in the fall. I also would tell them if they could, or I, find a summer only family then you could promise them a spot. ( I actually have 2 families set up this way)

I dont think missing out on 10 weeks ( or more) at $150 a week... $1500 is what you will be missing out on, in hopes they will return. ( what if they dont would $300 be sufficient for the -$1500 and any time it takes to get new family in the fall if they do not come back?)

Good luck!

I agree I am very blessed I am all full, but I never gave the option to have summers off...? Once I got my license I was looking for full timers that sign yearly contracts, I took in part time drop ins but they knew that there spot would be filled if I had the opportunity to fill the spot with full timers. This is my job and I have to look out for my families needs ultimately. My favorite little part timer actually went full time just to prevent him losing his spot! His mother is amazing and I am blessed to care for that family!! They didn't increase the days he comes either! They know that they have the option to but rarely do.

I have a waiting list encase something happens to any of the families in my care needing to leave do to job lose as well. I pray to God I am always so fortunate and will be praying the Lord blesses you over the summer as well!
Tags:summer camp, summer rates
Reply Up