Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Can I Count The Time Used To Gather & Chop Firewood?

Hi Tom -

During the winter we heat our house with wood. It significantly reduces our heating bill. In the Record Keeping Guide it lists the cost of firewood as a deductible household item. However, most of the time we are able to get the wood for free. My husband then spends quite a bit of time cutting the wood down to size so we are able to use it in the fireplace. Can I count some of this time in "other activities" since we also use it to heat the home during childcare hours?

Thanks!!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm curious about this as well!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Chopping wood?

I wouldn't count any of the time chopping wood because you would be chopping wood even if you weren't in business.

I would not count hours unless you can say that you wouldn't be doing it if you weren't in business.

I know that you need to heat your home. I just think the IRS would not accept these hours.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

What about hours planning/ cleaning/ shopping/doing groceries for the DC?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Hours

Yes, you can count the planning and cleaning for your business in your home. You can't count time shopping outside of your home, because you aren't using your home at that time. You can count time preparing menus and shopping lists and unloading groceries.

Tags
deduction - heating